Mike Sanford Jr ruined Jordan Love's last season at Utah State

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Sorry, but this needs its own thread. I have the sinking feeling that MSJr is a fraud, as a QB coach and offensive coordinator.

Here are the stats for Jordan Love, so talented a QB in the Mountain West that the Green Bay Packers drafted him in the first round (26th overall).

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2017Utah StateMWCFRQB1212923554.916316.96.586119.3
*2018Utah StateMWCSOQB1326741764.035678.69.4326158.3
*2019Utah StateMWCJRQB1329347361.934027.26.42017129.1

2018 - Utah State starts the year at #11 Mich State, and almost pulls off the upset. They then win 10 straight games. Defacto division title game is at Boise, both teams ranked. They can't quite pull off the win. Go on to win the low level bowl game. Head coach gets hired by Texas Tech and takes the OC/QB coach with him.

2019 - Utah State rehires Gary Andersen, who in turn hires Mike Sanford Jr to be the OC and QB coach. They go 7-6 overall. Granted, three non-conf losses @Wake Forest, @LSU, and home vs BYU. But look at how badly Love regressed.

PJ Fleck has some serious explaining to do. Why did he hire this man????

He also took what Brohm built at WKU and ran it into the ground.
Wow.

Brohm:
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (Conference USA) (2014–2016)
2014Western Kentucky8–54–43rd (East)W Bahamas
2015Western Kentucky12–28–01st (East)W Miami Beach24
2016Western Kentucky10–37–1T–1st (East)Boca Raton

MSJr:
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (Conference USA) (2017–2018)
2017Western Kentucky6–74–4T–3rd (East)L Cure
2018Western Kentucky3–92–6T–6th (East)

Tyson Helton:

had this same take multiple times. Whether it's his route combos that suck or that he puts too much on the QB or what would take some film breakdown, but it's pretty hard to justify in what world bringing him in was a benefit from a coaching standpoint

To be fair to Sanford, Utah State lost 10 offensive starters from an 11-2 2018 team. Love was the only man left for Sanford's only year in the job. NFL scouts gave that a lot of weight in still making Love a Rd1 pick.

Joe Rossi looked like a genius now he looks like a doofus now that he lost some dudes good NFL teams immediately put in their starting defense. Who knows what it will look like in a year, or even by end of season. Losing players matters.

To be fair to Sanford, Utah State lost 10 offensive starters from an 11-2 team. Love was the only man left for Sanford's only year in the job. NFL scouts gave that a lot of weight in still making Love a Rd1 pick.

Joe Rossi looked like a genius now he looks like a doofus. Who knows what it will look like in a year, or even by end of season. Losing players matters.
I can buy that for the decreased wins and things like fewer TDs.

How do you explain the increase in picks thrown?

I can buy that for the decreased wins and things like fewer TDs.

How do you explain the increase in picks thrown?

New WRs getting less separation? Less time to throw forcing poorer decisions? WR runs the wrong route, ball gets picked. Timing issues with new WRs and new OC. WR bobbles it and it lands in a defender's hands. Etc..

New WRs getting less separation? Less time to throw forcing poorer decisions? WR runs the wrong route, ball gets picked. Timing issues with new WRs and new OC. WR bobbles it and it lands in a defender's hands. Etc..
I blame Sanford. Seems like the evidence is pretty clear.

I definitely have issues with Sanford’s playcalling, and I’m wondering where some of the interesting concepts (2 RB sets, TE as primary receiver) went. I also have issues with the fact that we seem to consistently put our long-striding deep threat in the slot. The WR concepts in this game were puzzling too, with long-developing vertical routes instead of seams.

That being said, Morgan is not playing like a veteran QB. He is locking onto Bateman on every single play. There’s no semblance of going through progressions. He’s been incredibly inaccurate even when trying to hit open receivers.

I get that there was no spring camp, limited fall practice, and we’re missing two projected OL starters. But there’s plenty of blame to go around on this one.

Clearly, if we want to go with a guy like Morgan at QB, we need to go heavy on RPO. Introduce some diversity in the passing concepts, we have talented receivers not named Rashod Bateman. Add those wrinkles like 2 RB sets with Trey Potts. It’s not rocket science with the talent that we have on this team.

Fleck’s buddy. There was a picture of them together hanging out at Fleck’s house when he was at WMU and Sanford was at Notre Dame.

That’s why he hired him.

Sadly, the only explanation. Do PJF and the Co-OC have a good relationship? Is PJF trying to get Simon to spread his wings?

Hopefully, following our last game PJ announces Sanford is moving on to better opportunities and Simon will take over. Short of that we are going to lose players. Too much has to change to salvage this guy and these players.
Post #14 are a couple points in a long list.
Just like last year, the slant is our best play for Tanner but we rarely run it.

As an employer, when I see a job jumper, that’s a huge red flag. Sanfords resume looked terrible. A new position just about every year. Thought he was a terrible hire from day one.

To be fair to Sanford, Utah State lost 10 offensive starters from an 11-2 2018 team. Love was the only man left for Sanford's only year in the job. NFL scouts gave that a lot of weight in still making Love a Rd1 pick.

Joe Rossi looked like a genius now he looks like a doofus now that he lost some dudes good NFL teams immediately put in their starting defense. Who knows what it will look like in a year, or even by end of season. Losing players matters.
Except Sanford has almost all the elite players on the Offense that beat Auburn, but still runs 6 plays and hasn't a clue wtf he's doing. Look at Tanner's regression....unreal

Except Sanford has almost all the elite players on the Offense that beat Auburn, but still runs 6 plays and hasn't a clue wtf he's doing. Look at Tanner's regression....unreal
Tanner misses a pass, WR doesn't catch it.

Did Sanford jumpin there and do that?

Way things are going at PSU Kirk might be available soon. Are the Gophers and PJ interested again?

In part yes, a coach needs to put players in a position to succeed.
Are they comfortable with their role? Is the coach utilizing their strengths? Does he listen to players concerns.
Does he have a game plan that people are excited about because it exploits opponent weaknesses? And then embarrasses opponents? Iowa did.
The right coach can make an ordinary player look really good. The wrong coach can make Tanner and Bateman ordinary. And no other skill players besides Mo are making anybody notice them...that’s coaching or lack thereof.
Same guys didn’t look pedestrian last year. New guys ain’t flashin’ nuthin either.
That’s coaching. The wrong kind.

It seemed from the get go that Fleck and Co didn't think they could stop Iowa's running game and offense. This probably led to the ultra conservative game plan on offense to try to shorten the game and keep the defense off the field.
The Iowa CB that covered Bateman played a really good game, but it sure would have been nice to take some deep shots. Tyler Johnson is probably my favorite Gopher of all time, but I thought the passing game had Douglas stayed would have been really excellent. Not sure why they haven't been clicking yet this year, but maybe it will start to happen. I just hope they don't keep the offense neutered because they are afraid of having the defense on the field. Play to win dang nabbit!

Sadly, the only explanation. Do PJF and the Co-OC have a good relationship? Is PJF trying to get Simon to spread his wings?
If your question had any basis, he’d have made him OC and lost him as a head coach to be named somewhere.

It seemed from the get go that Fleck and Co didn't think they could stop Iowa's running game and offense. This probably led to the ultra conservative game plan on offense to try to shorten the game and keep the defense off the field.
The Iowa CB that covered Bateman played a really good game, but it sure would have been nice to take some deep shots. Tyler Johnson is probably my favorite Gopher of all time, but I thought the passing game had Douglas stayed would have been really excellent. Not sure why they haven't been clicking yet this year, but maybe it will start to happen. I just hope they don't keep the offense neutered because they are afraid of having the defense on the field. Play to win dang nabbit!
Time of possession is a real big part of PJ’s philosophy. I don’t think it is the whole problem BUT could it be PJ is handcuffing Sanford and he is as a result frustrated and beside himself unable to do his job?
It is obvious the defense needs propping up with all the assistance someone can provide. Question I have is would spectacular offense make it a moot point?

Time of possession is a real big part of PJ’s philosophy. I don’t think it is the whole problem BUT could it be PJ is handcuffing Sanford and he is as a result frustrated and beside himself unable to do his job?
It is obvious the defense needs propping up with all the assistance someone can provide. Question I have is would spectacular offense make it a moot point?
I would just say for the sake of the kids and the fans play to your strengths and have fun at this point. Open up the offense in a big way and maybe the defense will come along.
I'm hoping that Sori-Marin gets a little less play after his suspension and really stupid penalty on the interception return as I think he is just too slow for his position.

I recall when he hired Sanford and he was basically asked this question, he said his goal was to help Simon go wherever he wanted to in coaching, that was his (PJ's) job. Basically a slap in the face after what Simon did in the bowl game.

Simon still stayed. That is some kind of cult loyalty to PJ. I guess he thought PJ was going to be the next Dabo, at Minnesota. LOL

Hopefully, following our last game PJ announces Sanford is moving on to better opportunities and Simon will take over. Short of that we are going to lose players. Too much has to change to salvage this guy and these players.
Post #14 are a couple points in a long list.
Just like last year, the slant is our best play for Tanner but we rarely run it.
No. 2020 is 2017 for Sanford, relative to Robb Smith. PJ didn't let him go until the middle of 2018.

Sanford will be the OC next year, until all four of the wheels come completely off. Or, let me rephrase in PJ-ology: "until all of the oars snap and the screendoors on the boat fall off the hinges".

You don't think it's at all weird that Tanner is now missing those passes, when he didn't last year? Do you think that has anything at all to do with, I don't know, Sanford being QB coach? No? Just coincidence?

Sure, I am overreacting. That's what GH does. Sure, it's one game. We will see. I'm just expressing my feeling on how this is going to go, based on what we know about PJ's ability to hire coordinators and Sanford's past.

Top Bottom