Mike Sanford Jr. = Bob Diaco

You are true in that both are going to combine to make the Purdue defense look either good or bad next week

When Fleck made the decision to let Robb Smith go, how soon after that game was the decision made? I can’t remember.

When Fleck made the decision to let Robb Smith go, how soon after that game was the decision made? I can’t remember.

Sunday.
Once the game plan starting being built it is difficult to make a change mid week I’d imagine

"These decisions are always difficult, especially when they involve a close friend and colleague," Fleck said in a prepared statement. "Robb is an elite man and will always be a dear friend of mine."
PJ

There have been some low lows and high highs with this regime. Buckle your seatbelts.

I don’t know who Bob Diaco is but I hate him already.

The Civil ConFLiCT guy for one

Another pretty coordinator who got Notre Dame on his resume and then proceeded to tank a previously decent mid-major as a head coach and then stunk as DC at Nebraska as his stock continued to make new lows. He made Demry Croft look like Lamar Jackson in 2017. Now it says he's the DC at Purdue so maybe they can exchange notes Saturday.

Last edited:

I imagine Sanford going home and his wife says "Why don't you ever call a screen pass"? Sanford says "What is that"?
I think Sanford's problem is that he is trying to do too many things. It's been too cute the last two years. KC knew about 5 plays but his offenses were really hard to stop.

I hope PJ makes that call.

Naturally...he played football at Iowa!

Side note: Here is his coaching resume. Ya, he hasn't lasted very long at any of his stops...

Attachments

• DiacoResume.png
    DiacoResume.png
    75 KB · Views: 7

I'm pretty heavy on the "let's see how this plays out", and "once the game is on the coach's can't make the player make the play" but the scale of wonkyness under Sanford has been so inexplicable that ... I'm skeptical of him.

I mean in the face of OL struggles and such the play calls didn't even include what I think of when I think "here's what you do when they're busting through the line all the time" and we have these games where other teams just seem to know how to defend almost every play like they know it is comming.

We're not "taking what they give us" it seems more playing into their hands.... because we got nothing else to call.

I'm pretty heavy on the "let's see how this plays out", and "once the game is on the coach's can't make the player make the play" but the scale of wonkyness under Sanford has been so inexplicable that ... I'm skeptical of him.

I mean in the face of OL struggles and such the play calls didn't even include what I think of when I think "here's what you do when they're busting through the line all the time" and we have these games where other teams just seem to know how to defend almost every play like they know it is comming.

We're not "taking what they give us" it seems more playing into their hands.... because we got nothing else to call.
I'm pretty much with you; and, I don't see how this will get better. Its starting to shape up just like the Robb Smith experience. Unfortunately, it would take a few bad games like Saturday's before PJ will do anything and it will have to get pretty bad. I know it was tough for him to pull the trigger on Smith and I think it would/will be the same on Sanford.
The parallels between Smith and Sanford are uncanny (okay, a little hyperbole there)...Both were brought in and praised by Fleck despite their history of destroying previous teams/players. We were warned by the previous teams' fanbase as to what was coming. Neither of them showed, or are showing, any flashes of greatness; and, the Gopher fan base had it figured out early.
Like I said before, it will unfortunately take some bad games before anything is done, so that would pretty mean the season is a disappointment. Hopefully I am wrong, but, geez...I don't see much hope.

Top Bottom