Mike Sanford Fired

It's super common in college football, so pretty good chance the next guy does it too.
If you don't huddle than that is how the play call comes in. The freeze and check with the sideline thing is also very common. The way we were running it at the end of the year was fine. The frantic, check multiple times with the sideline, run around and make last second adjustments and almost always snap the ball with 1 second left system we were using prior to that sucked.

If you don't huddle than that is how the play call comes in. The freeze and check with the sideline thing is also very common. The way we were running it at the end of the year was fine. The frantic, check multiple times with the sideline, run around and make last second adjustments and almost always snap the ball with 1 second left system we were using prior to that sucked.
I do think it would be nice if the audible wasn't always a run up the middle. I think 95% of the time when they changed the play it was RUTM.

I do think it would be nice if the audible wasn't always a run up the middle. I think 95% of the time when they changed the play it was RUTM.
Sure felt that way, especially when it was the last second adjustments. Offense looked way more poised over the final 3 games. Started snapping the ball with some time on the play clock as well.

I am not big in cheering someone being fired, but clearly there were some things not right with the offense this year. Hopefully Sanford has an opportunity to grow from his work at the UofM.

As an outsider it is tough to truly know what's going on, we can diagnose that a problem exists, but not necessarily source it due to lack of access to internal workings. There were definitely some lost opportunities this year, but the team has a chance to finish strong.

And RUTM ... and the opposing LBs looke like they're playing that ...

I don't... wut?

His contract was up and he was cut loose. He was a Co-coordinator who was very creative in the run game, something Fleck will use going forward.

He continued to call plays and meet with the media. You don’t think it would have leaked over 3 weeks if he still wasn’t the OC? Fleck may have allowed more Simon influence in game plan, but they were also going up against Iowa and WI. Creativity was going to be needed, no matter what, against those defenses.

The lesson that should be learned is to put the pedal to the metal every week in game planning.

In the end, Fleck made the right call based on QB and passing game over 12 games
No way. I feel like this isn’t true.
Lol

I think it was the Indiana game...there was a play where the typical chicken-with-its-head-cut-off scrambling was happening while time expired. PJ called a timeout just in time then proceeded to scream what I think were obscenities into the headset (the camera quickly panned away). He was pissed. I saw less of that in the Wisconsin game.

I think it was the Indiana game...there was a play where the typical chicken-with-its-head-cut-off scrambling was happening while time expired. PJ called a timeout just in time then proceeded to scream what I think were obscenities into the headset (the camera quickly panned away). He was pissed. I saw less of that in the Wisconsin game.
It was so refreshing to watch the offense not look confused and frantic. Couldn't stand the way we were doing things prior to that.

Right!?!? I was hoping either the OC or Special Teams coach would get fired...2022 will be great if both go.
Curious on Wenger....assume the issue most have with him is not returning kicks since our coverage units are pretty solid. Noticed in the Wisconsin game that Bucko was back there again and we were actively looking to run kicks back.

I know the fair catches on kickoffs bugged a lot of people but it could simply have been a function of just not having return guys we truly trusted outside of Irving and once the injuries started mounting up at RB he wasn't an option anymore until the last game.

As for punts, the punts bouncing bothers some people but we saw what can happen when the returner goes after a ball he should have let bounce during the Wisconsin game when Annexstad tried to field that one on the run and almost gave Wisconsin the ball deep in our territory late in the first half.

I am glad to see them making a change at OC, Wenger sticking around doesn't bother me much.

Curious on Wenger....assume the issue most have with him is not returning kicks since our coverage units are pretty solid. Noticed in the Wisconsin game that Bucko was back there again and we were actively looking to run kicks back.

I know the fair catches on kickoffs bugged a lot of people but it could simply have been a function of just not having return guys we truly trusted outside of Irving and once the injuries started mounting up at RB he wasn't an option anymore until the last game.

As for punts, the punts bouncing bothers some people but we saw what can happen when the returner goes after a ball he should have let bounce during the Wisconsin game when Annexstad tried to field that one on the run and almost gave Wisconsin the ball deep in our territory late in the first half.

I am glad to see them making a change at OC, Wenger sticking around doesn't bother me much.
Yeah same observations.

I'm not rushing to see more special teams changes ... special teams is still greatly improved from 2020 ... granted it almost had to. Still... I'll take it.

Wenger was out recruiting the twin cities today so I assume he is staying on.

Running down the play clock to zero (and beyond), pondering what to do…

The issue I had with special teams is that we were clearly more concerned with not making a mistake than trying to make a play. That by definition is not elite. Elite teams are trying to take advantage of every opportunity to make a play.

I understand the risk of running back a kickoff may be called back on a penalty, or simply end up being tackled short of the 25 yard line. On the flip side you take away any opportunity to break a big return and possibly score a touchdown. That is a huge boost to your team. The possible reward far outweighs the risk (unless you are not elite).

On punts, I can understand being somewhat more conservative as the possibility of muffing a punt is greater. This can be a huge difference in the game. However, you should still have competence in fielding punts and minimizing yardage lost. Not letting them roll to lose an extra 10+ yards multuple times a game. Additionally, doing this gives you the opportunity to occasionally break a big return and possibly score.

If some feel we do not have the personnel to play this way, I find that hard to believe. Arguably, our recruiting has been consistently improving under Fleck. Surely, we have recruited athletes that can excel in these roles. Lets focus on being elite in every aspect of the game. That is the mindset of champions.

The issue I had with special teams is that we were clearly more concerned with not making a mistake than trying to make a play. That by definition is not elite. Elite teams are trying to take advantage of every opportunity to make a play.

I understand the risk of running back a kickoff may be called back on a penalty, or simply end up being tackled short of the 25 yard line. On the flip side you take away any opportunity to break a big return and possibly score a touchdown. That is a huge boost to your team. The possible reward far outweighs the risk (unless you are not elite).

On punts, I can understand being somewhat more conservative as the possibility of muffing a punt is greater. This can be a huge difference in the game. However, you should still have competence in fielding punts and minimizing yardage lost. Not letting them roll to lose an extra 10+ yards multuple times a game. Additionally, doing this gives you the opportunity to occasionally break a big return and possibly score.

If some feel we do not have the personnel to play this way, I find that hard to believe. Arguably, our recruiting has been consistently improving under Fleck. Surely, we have recruited athletes that can excel in these roles. Lets focus on being elite in every aspect of the game. That is the mindset of champions.
I think we just don’t have elite returners….would be nice but not there yet. Trying and pushing a struggling offend back seems doubly bad.

And punts, our man often has the opponent already on him / very close when they field it anyway. Not a lot to do.

This firing is making me hope they can hang on to Knuth.

Sure felt that way, especially when it was the last second adjustments. Offense looked way more poised over the final 3 games. Started snapping the ball with some time on the play clock as well.
I agree -- you could tell there was a pretty abrupt change. Maybe Sanford will catch on somewhere else and be successful. For whatever reason though he just didn't work out here. It kind of reminds me of when Jedd Fisch was here and he fouled up Adam Weber and made the offense WORSE not better.

If I were coaching and my offense wasn't working, I would be working day and night to fix it because that is my job. Changes and tweaks would be made. You don't just keep trying to jam the square peg into the round hole even when it won't fit and expect things to change.

I know Sanford is considered a good coach by some but man he looked like a rookie high school coach while he was here.

Not catching a punt drives me crazy but see it all the time, both college and pros ( not as much). We are one of many with this issue. Kind of wish they would go back to multiple guys deep. One short and 1 long.

Not catching a punt drives me crazy but see it all the time, both college and pros ( not as much). We are one of many with this issue. Kind of wish they would go back to multiple guys deep. One short and 1 long.
I like that idea. If you are only going to do fair catches anyway, you can afford to put two receivers back (unless we fear fake punts, which is a possibility). The way the Gophers currently field punts, one shallow and one deep receiver would probably improve your field position by 10 yards+ three or four times a game. Hard to see why this is a result to be avoided.

Yes, but over time, you will find yourself missing his sunglass rotation and his use of the word "Dude" in post-game interviews.

In the early days of 2020 it may have been you that posted Hilltopper threads warning us of the false siren call of “Boy Idiot”, high water pants and sunglass rotations…

Ah, here is one of the links

Sanford has earned more in the last 5 years than most people make in their lifetimes. We shouldn’t feel too bad for him as we all have a ceiling - and he may have damaged a pretty good QB. Unlike some here I didn’t see much genius in him, whether more stubbornness or stupidity is hard to say.

Top Bottom