Mike Leach Questions

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
I didn't really feel like searching for info on Leach, so I'm hoping someone on here can shed some light.

First off, I just want to say I think he's getting royally screwed. He's a smart guy and a good coach. Whichever school HE CHOOSES to go to will benefit immediately. Now for the questions.

How is the local Texas media dealing with this? What about the general public? Anybody living in Texas have any insight?

What types of rumors are people hearing about his next coaching stint?

Internet is good.

Mike Leach:
1) Outstanding, innovative offensive coach
2) Extremely competitive personality
3) Prick

What else do you want to know?

The Adam James had nothing to do with him getting fired, it just was a good excuse for them to. He is a complete as-hat, think Bob Knight with a law degree.

I didn't really feel like searching for info on Leach, so I'm hoping someone on here can shed some light.

First off, I just want to say I think he's getting royally screwed. He's a smart guy and a good coach. Whichever school HE CHOOSES to go to will benefit immediately. Now for the questions.

How is the local Texas media dealing with this? What about the general public? Anybody living in Texas have any insight?

What types of rumors are people hearing about his next coaching stint?

Internet is good.

Here is a link to the Leach inverview on ESPN. Leach finally had a chance to give his side of it, and did a great job with it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4787194

This whole thing is about a booster that Leach rubbed the wrong way. Instead of winning football games, the booster had rather go to parties and introduce the head football coach of Texas Tech as his personal friend. He (the booster) has been edging to get Leach fired for awhile, and has a close connection to the chancellor and the a.d. The James incident is just the vechicle that the group is using to force Leach out.

As far as the reaction in Texas is concerned, I would say that just about everyone down here, especially Red Radier fans, are in a state of suspended disbelief. Everyone that I have talked to are in unanimous opinion that Leach is getting the shaft and that Texas Tech is going to pay dearly (in terms of program momentum) for forcing Leach out.

On a personal note, I actually got to sit down and talk with Leach for about two-and-half hours a couple of weeks ago. I am still not sure what he was doing in New Braunfels (a long way from Lubbock), but he, his wife, and another couple came into the bar that I frequent. As it was a Sunday night and not very crowded, Leach asked if me and my friend would like to join their group. I tried to keep myself from talking too much about football, but he seemed not to mind talking about it. One of the most intersting things he said (which may be related to the James incident) is that the biggest difference between Texas Tech and and the Longhorns is the gap in talent level between the second- and third-stringers. His biggest difficulty, he said, was that he had to some way convince his starters that he would bench them, when, in reality, there is no way he could afford to take them out of the game.

Someone also asked him what his favorite NFL team was. Interestingly, he said that he did not really have a favorite team, but that he followed NFL schemes. He said that he was a fan of whatever coaches and coordinators that were innovative and bringing something new to the table. In that part of the conversation, I could tell that he loves football, he loves the chess-match aspect of the game, and is very confident in his ability (not in a conceded way) to be able to out-manuver the guy on the other sideline.

We aslo talked some about recruiting, the Crabtree contract negotiations, politics, ghosts, electricity, etc... All-in-all, Leach is exactly what you see on tv. He is very smart and does not hold back his opinions. In the end, the Gophers would be very lucky to have Leach. It would be a tremendous boost to the program (having a coach that actually knows what he is doing on the side-lines) and I have no doubt that we would finally make it back to the Rose Bowl under his leadership. Unfortunately, Maturi would never have the guts to hire him. Also, quite sadly, I question whether or not Leach would be a good fit in the 'Minnesota-nice' culture.

People are focusing on how far this guy crossed the line... as if crossing the line at all is acceptable. C'mon...

…and I would add that just about everyone down here in Texas believes that ESPN’s coverage has been atrociously biased.

This whole thing is about a booster that Leach rubbed the wrong way. Instead of winning football games, the booster had rather go parties and introduce the head football coach of Texas Tech as his personal friend. He (the booster) has been edging to get Leach fired for awhile, and has a close connection to the chancellor and the a.d. The James incident is just the vechicle that the group is using to force Leach out.

As far as the reaction in Texas is concerned, I would say that just about everyone down here, especially Red Radier fans, are in a state of suspended disbelief. Everyone that I have talked are in unanimous opinion that Leach is getting the shaft and that Texas Tech is going to pay dearly (in terms of program momentum) for forcing Leach out.

On a personal note, I actually got to sit down and talk with Leach for about two-and-half hours a couple of weeks ago. I am still not sure what he was doing in New Braunfels (a long way from Lubbock), but he, his wife, and another couple came into the bar that I frequent. As it was a Sunday night and not very crowded, Leach asked if me and my friend would like to join their group. I tried to keep myself from talking too much about football, but he seemed not to mind talking about it. One of the most intersting things he said (which may be related to the James incident) is that the biggest difference between Texas Tech and and the Longhorns is the gap in talent level between the second- and third-stringers. His biggest difficulty, he said, was that he had to some way convince his starters that he would bench them, when, in reality, there is no way he could afford to take them out of the game.

Someone also asked him what favorite NFL team was. Interestingly, he said that he did not really have a favorite team, but that he followed NFL schemes. He said that he was a fan of whatever coaches and coordinators that were innovative and bringing something new to the table. In that part of the conversation, I could tell that he loves football, he loves the chess-match aspect of the game, and is very confident in his ability (not in a conceded way) to be able to out-manuver the guy on the other sideline.

We aslo talked some about recruiting, the Crabtree contract negotiations, politics, ghosts, electricity, etc... All-in-all, Leach is exactly what you see on tv. He is very smart and does not hold back his opinions. In the end, the Gophers would be very lucky to have Leach. It would be a tremendous boost to the program (having a coach that actually knows what he is doing on the side-lines) and I have no doubt that we would finally make it back to the Rose Bowl under his leadership. Unfortunately, Maturi would never have guts to hire him. Also, quite sadly, I question whether or not Leach would be a good fit in the 'Minnesota-nice' culture.

Nice post and good perspective. Would love to see a guy like this as the coach of our team. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. If he's exonerated, he's a potential Brew replacement in 2011 if things go poorly with us; would be an unlikely hire if there's any baggage from the James incident, though. Too difficult to justify from a PR perspective.

Nice post and good perspective. Would love to see a guy like this as the coach of our team. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. If he's exonerated, he's a potential Brew replacement in 2011 if things go poorly with us; would be an unlikely hire if there's any baggage from the James incident, though. Too difficult to justify from a PR perspective.

+1

anyone who invites a complete stranger to join their group

is OK in my book - especially someone who has such status - sounds like a straight up guy - would Glenny or Brew do the same? doubt it

Brewster very well could. In my personal dealings with him, he's always been cordial.

The Adam James had nothing to do with him getting fired, it just was a good excuse for them to. He is a complete as-hat, think Bob Knight with a law degree.

Damn, he does not speak like someone with a law degree (not always a bad thing). He did indeed open the door for them to fire him, not smart.

Brewster very well could. In my personal dealings with him, he's always been cordial.

If Bronko weren't banned, he'd faint at that compliment to Brew. That's the nicest thing one can say about a Big Ten football coach: a penchant for cordiality. :D

Leach was skating on thin ice before this and gave them a perfectly good reason to get rid of him. Just last year he had "issues" with his contract etc. The James family looks like a bunch of "Little League parents" and Leach looks like a prick, but most importantly a prick without a job now.

If I were Brewster I'd wait out the storm and see if Leach ends up as head coach elsewhere. If Fisch leaves (and I'd get rid of him anyways), Leach would be a sick offensive coordinator to hire. Imagine that offense in the Big Ten. Plus, that offense would kind of hide the weak O-line. Brewster could school Leach on how to be more of a player's coach and less of a prick and Leach could school Brewster on offensive philosophy. It'll probably never happen, but it's fun to think about.

I am putting his coaching ability aside. The question from holereader was whether he was capable of inviting individuals to hang with him at a bar ... I happen to think he very well could and definitely would before Mason.

I am putting his coaching ability aside. The question from holereader was whether he was capable of inviting individuals to hang with him at a bar ... I happen to think he very well could and definitely would before Mason.

I know. Just giving you grief, dude. It's what everyone else does. :D

I'm always wary of anyone who could be described as a "colorful character". In my dealings, "colorful" is often better described as bat**** crazy.

is OK in my book - especially someone who has such status - sounds like a straight up guy - would Glenny or Brew do the same? doubt it

I would also add that he was genuinely interested in getting to know everyone at the table and had detailed conversations with each of about our jobs and interests. There was about eight people at the table and there was one guy there that obviously did not know much about football. It impressed me that Leach sought him out, asked what he did for a living (an electrician), and then preceded to talk to him for twenty minutes about being electrcity. He did not dominate the conversation, but talked to everyone as if his job was not any more prestigous as ours. We was a 'straight up' guy.

It's great that Leach seems like a straight-up guy. We need more of them. What's not great is, assuming all the information on this thread is accurate, how this intelligent guy managed to maneuver himself into an untenable position. I mean, the guy is crowing now about the James family and how much time they took from his staff. Didn't he know how to be a straight-up guy and handle it in a proper manner? The pivotal question is: Did the kid have a concussion and how was it handled by the coaching staff? Several ex-college coaches have already opined on the subject, with the majority sentiment running toward "The coach shouldn't have much to do with rehabilitation issues."

My guess is there is someone with money looking to dump almost every coach in the country. Who gives that person an opportunity and who conducts his program in such a professional manner that all the complainer can do is talk loud at cocktail parties? Leach ain't the latter, no matter how friendly he is in public.

It's great that Leach seems like a straight-up guy. We need more of them. What's not great is, assuming all the information on this thread is accurate, how this intelligent guy managed to maneuver himself into an untenable position. I mean, the guy is crowing now about the James family and how much time they took from his staff. Didn't he know how to be a straight-up guy and handle it in a proper manner? The pivotal question is: Did the kid have a concussion and how was it handled by the coaching staff? Several ex-college coaches have already opined on the subject, with the majority sentiment running toward "The coach shouldn't have much to do with rehabilitation issues."

My guess is there is someone with money looking to dump almost every coach in the country. Who gives that person an opportunity and who conducts his program in such a professional manner that all the complainer can do is talk loud at cocktail parties? Leach ain't the latter, no matter how friendly he is in public.

Mike Leach gave Adam James much more of an opportunity than the rest of the caoches on his staff felt he deserved. Adam James is a slacker, a malcontent, and a mamas boy. Leach's biggest mistake was not kicking him off the team two weeks after he set foot in Lubbock. Leach can coach, he can handle a staff, and he can recruit. I also think he's smart enough to learn from this. I hope the U is smart enough to know when they have made a huge error in judgement ( Hint hint "The Brewster hire").The Gophers don't need him as their OC, they need him as thier Head coach. Brewster bites and it is pathetic having to watch this team embarrass themselves week in and week out. I for one would love to see Leach come to the Twin Cities. The Big Ten wouldn't know what hit them. Look what happened agaisnt Mich. State tonight, he had not one but two QB's better than anything the gophs threw out there this year. He can recruit and he can coach. If Leach had been on the sidelines they would have blown MSU out by 50. Hire him before someone else does. I can't take another season like this one. Losing to God awful ISU should be the last straw. Leach Si Brewster no.

I'd agree with you that Bobby knight is an as-hat. I would also agree that Mike Leach is smarter than Bobby knight. As a Red Raider fan and a personal witness to how they both act in public I gotta tell you your post pretty much falls apart from there.

I'd agree with you that Bobby knight is an as-hat. I would also agree that Mike Leach is smarter than Bobby knight. As a Red Raider fan and a personal witness to how they both act in public I gotta tell you your post pretty much falls apart from there.

I was talking about the way they handle themselves with the administration. Both men have severe lack of respect for authority. Telling your boss to F-off(in one form or another) on several occasions is not going to go over well in any business.

This whole thing is about a booster that Leach rubbed the wrong way. Instead of winning football games, the booster had rather go to parties and introduce the head football coach of Texas Tech as his personal friend. He (the booster) has been edging to get Leach fired for awhile, and has a close connection to the chancellor and the a.d. The James incident is just the vechicle that the group is using to force Leach out.

As far as the reaction in Texas is concerned, I would say that just about everyone down here, especially Red Radier fans, are in a state of suspended disbelief. Everyone that I have talked to are in unanimous opinion that Leach is getting the shaft and that Texas Tech is going to pay dearly (in terms of program momentum) for forcing Leach out.

Someone also asked him what his favorite NFL team was. Interestingly, he said that he did not really have a favorite team, but that he followed NFL schemes. He said that he was a fan of whatever coaches and coordinators that were innovative and bringing something new to the table. In that part of the conversation, I could tell that he loves football, he loves the chess-match aspect of the game, and is very confident in his ability (not in a conceded way) to be able to out-manuver the guy on the other sideline.

We aslo talked some about recruiting, the Crabtree contract negotiations, politics, ghosts, electricity, etc... All-in-all, Leach is exactly what you see on tv. He is very smart and does not hold back his opinions. In the end, the Gophers would be very lucky to have Leach. It would be a tremendous boost to the program (having a coach that actually knows what he is doing on the side-lines) and I have no doubt that we would finally make it back to the Rose Bowl under his leadership. Unfortunately, Maturi would never have the guts to hire him. Also, quite sadly, I question whether or not Leach would be a good fit in the 'Minnesota-nice' culture.

Good man Charles. Internet is good.

The thing is, did you believe everything he said? He seems to be the kind of guy that ends up believing his own spin, whether it's true or not.

Coach Leach lobbied for the Miami job before Randy Shannon got it... While he got an extension and a nice increase in his contract last year, the Chancellor down there has never forgotten that he was looking for greener pastures in Miami just a few years back. I also get the impression that he is a true "piece of work" in his dealings with school officials.

It's reminiscent of Glen Mason lobbying for tOSU position before Tressel was named. People around the Gopher Football program always had Mase's effort to get back to Columbus in the back of their minds.

He may be a heck of a coach, and he may be cleared of any wrongdoing, but he's got some serious baggage, now...

Brewster did this with some friends of mine after a wrestling meet in Dinkytown.

Top Bottom