Mike Leach Brought a Decade's Worth of Embarrassment to Mississippi State in Less Than a Year

Anyone who watched the game was not surprised what happened after the game. It started before the game and continued during the game. Tulsa apparently thought they had to show the SEC just how tough they were. They are the ones who really instigated the brawl.

How bad is it? These types of brawls aren’t that rare in sec country. I don’t think it really affects the program.

I just thought it was odd. There was a coach throwing a player down. One player kicked another in the facemask / head. Two Miss St guys dove on a guy to hold him down. Mob ensues and an O-lineman repeatedly punches down on the guy who is being restrained (it appears).

Leach was kinda like (and I'm paraphrasing) "Boys will be boys. I'm upset about the 15 yard penalties".
Just seemed very unaware that there were kids commit assault on the field.
I think of how Fleck would handle this situation and it would be 100% different (I theorize).

I just thought it was odd. There was a coach throwing a player down. One player kicked another in the facemask / head. Two Miss St guys dove on a guy to hold him down. Mob ensues and an O-lineman repeatedly punches down on the guy who is being restrained (it appears).

Leach was kinda like (and I'm paraphrasing) "Boys will be boys. I'm upset about the 15 yard penalties".
I think of how Fleck would handle this situation and it would be 100% different (I theorize).
Oh it would be the story of the year here. The media would absolutely crucify the team. Miss st got into a smaller brawl against Ole miss just a few years ago, it just seems more acceptable down south.

Way before Tulsa wanted to show how tough they were.

Having once locked Craig James's kid in a storage shed, Leach can do no wrong in my my eyes.

You gotta be pretty mad to punch someone in the facemask.

Remember when so many on here were pining for him to be the Gophers next coach? Yikes
I wasn't active on this forum back then, but I thought that Leach made sense. At the time, I listened to what Maturi said about making a splash with a big name coach.

Some of you might even remember that Harbaugh's name was even bantered around in the newspaper at the time. Phew!

I’m just a fan but I will own up to my mistakes or takes that prove to be wrong over time. There are a lot of reasons why I am not a D1 athletic director.

I was very critical of Maturi for not even giving Leach the opportunity to interview, and I thought he would be a great hire, at the time.

I was really, really wrong about Leach. I always felt Maturi was your typical understated Minnesotan that wouldn’t take risks for the possibility of greatness. Happy to be mediocre. Maturi at least deserves credit for not giving Leach the time of day.

I’m just a fan but I will own up to my mistakes or takes that prove to be wrong over time. There are a lot of reasons why I am not a D1 athletic director.

I was very critical of Maturi for not even giving Leach the opportunity to interview, and I thought he would be a great hire, at the time.

I was really, really wrong about Leach. I always felt Maturi was your typical understated Minnesotan that wouldn’t take risks for the possibility of greatness. Happy to be mediocre. Maturi at least deserves credit for not giving Leach the time of day.

Leach still could have been a good call.... 10 years ago.

Top Bottom