Mike Leach Audio on WCCO (10/19/10)

He would definitely take the job if offered. I'd totally be down with him as the guy.

I seriously go back and forth on so many coaching candidates because I always have to wonder if they are realistic.

I just don't know if Leach is realistic. I would love for him to coach the U

I seriously go back and forth on so many coaching candidates because I always have to wonder if they are realistic.

I just don't know if Leach is realistic. I would love for him to coach the U

I agree... I don't know if Dungy would apporve of his potty-mouth, but I'd welcome him!

I also found it interesting in Shama's article that Chris Peterson only makes $1.5 Million (which is about the maximum the small amount of boosters can afford) and that he may go for $2.5 Million that we could offer... I'd love that too!

I think i'd rather have Mike Leach than Chris Peterson. Peterson isn't a bad candidate, but Boise St., has a really good thing going for them. I think it is easier to win big at Boise St. than at Tech.

So, in all honesty, what about Leach makes him a difficult hire for the U? Is it because he swears and the whole James incident? He graduates players, would give an identity to the program, is a relatively big name, and he has coached and won at a BCS school - - - I guess I just can't believe the James incident would cross him off the list here.

So, in all honesty, what about Leach makes him a difficult hire for the U? Is it because he swears and the whole James incident? He graduates players, would give an identity to the program, is a relatively big name, and he has coached and won at a BCS school - - - I guess I just can't believe the James incident would cross him off the list here.

I agree. Completely agree. I actually think he's quite the perfect fit!

Leach is a colorful character, with his pirate philosophy thing going, and I have no doubt he'd win here, but he never quite made the top of the Big 12, so might be an 8 or 9-win coach here, which would please most of us. The only problem is that he would not be very PC and does say things off the cuff that enrage the speech police. Petersen (if he would ever leave Boise) would be a better fit in terms of personality. I think either man would win big here.

I dislike him as a human being and that pirate gimmick is so tiresome. I don't know if I can watch a Gophers team with that ass at the helm.

My Top Two

If I make my list of who I would really like to coach the Gophers...Leach and Boise St Peterson are my top two.

Every Saturday, no matter who we played, you'd know we could possibly win. Brewster never created that confidence. Mason did occasionally but certainly not every week for me.

Leach or Peterson would be a dream come true. That would be the equivalent of when we hired Lou Holtz.

I dislike him as a human being and that pirate gimmick is so tiresome. I don't know if I can watch a Gophers team with that ass at the helm.

That's too bad. I'd almost miss your posts. =)

My opinion

Good or bad, there's no way Leach stays here. He's out of work, that's why he's interested. He has said he has interest in any job which opens up (including the New Mexico recently, whenever they get around to firing Locksley). This would not be a destination for him, - if he can win 7 to 9 games a year like at Tech, he gets a higher profile SEC, PAC10, NFL, etc job within 3-4 years.

Good or bad, there's no way Leach stays here. He's out of work, that's why he's interested. He has said he has interest in any job which opens up (including the New Mexico recently, whenever they get around to firing Locksley). This would not be a destination for him, - if he can win 7 to 9 games a year like at Tech, he gets a higher profile SEC, PAC10, NFL, etc job within 3-4 years.

At least having that problem would mean that we are winning. There is no guarantee that any of the candidates mentioned thus far would stick around for 20 years.

I don't know, he stayed at Tech for 9 years and they aren't exactly the most prestegious name out there.

Would the U taking a chance on Leach be a less controversial hire than Michigan bringing in Rich Rod? Also how did TT's grad rates look in comparison to ours?

My concern with Leach is that TT couldn't have dumped him faster when they got their first chance to do so. It appears he was not well liked with Admin there, but they tolerated as long as he won and kept his nose clean. Depending on who you believe the overall Admin at the U is/isn't that supportive of sports. That alone may be recipe for disaster right off the bat.

My concern with Leach is that TT couldn't have dumped him faster when they got their first chance to do so. It appears he was not well liked with Admin there, but they tolerated as long as he won and kept his nose clean. Depending on who you believe the overall Admin at the U is/isn't that supportive of sports. That alone may be recipe for disaster right off the bat.

But at the same time this is America and the place for second chances.

Maybe Leach wasn't the easiest person to work with, but he won games and did his job. There is a good chance that he has learned from the TT experience and won't make the same mistakes he made there.

Something to consider: The man is on a 4 game winning streak against Nebraska, including twice in Lincoln.

What's our streak against Nebraska at?

Mike Leach, by all accounts, ran a clean succesful program that generated national interest (obviously a priority for a school who hires Bob Knight) and graduated players at an incredibly high rate. Isn't it possible that the Admin was difficult to deal with and not Leach? I mean, what more could you ask out of a coach?

Would the U taking a chance on Leach be a less controversial hire than Michigan bringing in Rich Rod? Also how did TT's grad rates look in comparison to ours?

The difference is Michigan fans are used to Michigan being Big 10 Contenders every year...Rich Rod was a risk...we on the other hand have nowhere to go but up...

Mike Leach, by all accounts, ran a clean succesful program that generated national interest (obviously a priority for a school who hires Bob Knight) and graduated players at an incredibly high rate. Isn't it possible that the Admin was difficult to deal with and not Leach? I mean, what more could you ask out of a coach?

Fair point

Leach is overrated.

He's above average but there are many better coaches on the market and others with more potential and less baggage.

Leach is overrated.

He's above average but there are many better coaches on the market and others with more potential and less baggage.

10 straight bowls is overrated? Are we really in a position to make that sort of claim when we're looking at our second 1-11 season in 4 years?

I could care less how many bowls anyone has been to these days. All you have to do is not suck and you'll get into a bowl game.

He went to the Cotton Bowl twice and Holiday Bowl once, which is not bad (upper second tier bowl games). The rest are mid second tier or worse.

The guy that coached TT before Leach (Spike Dykes) was not a great coach and managed similar success. Leach was given a decent program to start with at TT. I'm not sure he's a program building type of guy.

Granted, he'd be 100% better than Brewster and the Gophers would likely go back to playing in Bowl games every year but I don't think he'd take the Gophers to place where they might compete for a big ten title.

Maybe I'm wrong and he'd bring us a few years like the 2008 TT season but I doubt it.

Top Bottom