Mike Hohensee Jr?

Tech Machine

Reaction score
CBS Sportsline has a Small College only 1st round draft, that means nothing, but that didn’t stop me from reading.
I ran across this and just thought it was interesting.

12. Broncos: Mike Hohensee, QB, Northwest Missouri State​

Speaking of athleticism, that's what Hohensee also brings to his game. Hohensee, who is 6-foot-1 and 213 pounds, is excellent on the move in the passing game and also has the underrated ability in the intermediate-to-deep area of the field. Don't sleep on his punting skills, either, as he averaged 38.6 yards per punt, downing 42 inside the 20-yard line.

Arena football is coming back in 2024 and that might be a good spot for him. His dad is an AFL mainstay, coaching 8 different franchises (to a slightly sub-.500 record)

Looks like Minneapolis will be one of only 3 NFL markets to have a AFL team - the Minnesota Myth. Because why not add another football team to the local market?

The rest are a ton of C- and D-list cities like Wichita, Rapid City, and some below that like:
  • Midland, TX
  • Salina, KS
  • Dodge City, KS (population 27,000!)
  • Council Bluffs, IA
  • Billings, MT
The prior AFLs went bankrupt playing mostly in major cities. Yikes. The Twin Cities finally get to be a Goliath market in their league.

Great to re-watch. Hohensee had great vision and a very good arm. Cool under pressure. If he had been the QB on last year's Gopher team, we probably win 9 in stead of 6. By the way, Quinn Carroll's dad, Jay Carroll--a TE--had three TD receptions in that victory over Ohio State. That game was back in the day when the Gophers often countered extreme blitzes with screen passes, and considered the TE to be a receiving target.

Great to re-watch. Hohensee had great vision and a very good arm. Cool under pressure. If he had been the QB on last year's Gopher team, we probably win 9 in stead of 6. By the way, Quinn Carroll's dad, Jay Carroll--a TE--had three TD receptions in that victory over Ohio State. That game was back in the day when the Gophers often countered extreme blitzes with screen passes, and considered the TE to be a receiving target.
Thanks, nice reading your memory from Gopher games of past. One can not get that from Google.

Hohensee's career stats are actually really similar to AK's. But always hard to compare qbs of different eras.

I remember these two making a TD play on homecoming against the Wildcats at the old Memorial stadium.

Greatest and most entertaining Gopher game I witnessed in person. Game was running long and it was in an era when Daylight Savings Time ended earlier in the year. No lights at Memorial and twilight was setting in. Jay Carroll caught the winning TD right in front of the student section on a tipped ball. Art Schlichter was the Buckeye QB and he just trashed his helmet after the Gophers stopped the Buckeyes on their last drive. I had my beer goggles on that afternoon/early evening, but I remember the game like it was yesterday.

… Art Schlichter was the Buckeye QB and he just trashed his helmet after the Gophers stopped the Buckeyes on their last drive. I had my beer goggles on that afternoon/early evening, but I remember the game like it was yesterday.
Schlichter was a serious pro prospect, and played in the NFL a few years, but if I recall he had a real bad gambling problem.

Greatest and most entertaining Gopher game I witnessed in person. Game was running long and it was in an era when Daylight Savings Time ended earlier in the year. No lights at Memorial and twilight was setting in. Jay Carroll caught the winning TD right in front of the student section on a tipped ball. Art Schlichter was the Buckeye QB and he just trashed his helmet after the Gophers stopped the Buckeyes on their last drive. I had my beer goggles on that afternoon/early evening, but I remember the game like it was yesterday.

I was there as well and great fun for a 14 year old to see that and cement his Gopher Fandom for life.

IIRC, Jay set the record for TE TD receptions in that game with 3. I’m guessing that record still stands.

Hohensee's career stats are actually really similar to AK's. But always hard to compare qbs of different eras.

What’s so interesting, is the difference in their fundamentals: their drop, how they go through their reads, pocket presence and delivery. Mike looks polished and AK never came remotely close to that level.

AK is our addition by subtraction. Replacing AK with Max thru the transfer portal will be a net positive. Looking forward to the play of both if AK starts.

What’s so interesting, is the difference in their fundamentals: their drop, how they go through their reads, pocket presence and delivery. Mike looks polished and AK never came remotely close to that level.
Watching Hohensee throw the ball was refreshing, I had forgotten how smooth he was. Anyone who has played QB will probably agree that throwing from the shotgun is much easier than when being under center. From the shotgun the QB is already in the pocket, just set your feet and throw. The footwork to get from under center, to the pocket, setting ones feet and then throwing is much more difficult IMHO. Hohensee was always under center. In my mind he was a stud

AK is our addition by subtraction. Replacing AK with Max thru the transfer portal will be a net positive. Looking forward to the play of both if AK starts.
Ripping our previous QB is the finest of the Gopherhole traditions.

If you don’t do it, your loyalty to the new regime is in question. It’s like South American politics.

If you don’t do it, your loyalty to the new regime is in question. It’s like South American politics.
AK left quit on his teammates & coaches before the season was finished. No normal fan would take AK for another season over Max. AK was a liability not an asset. Bad QB bad teammate.

I was there as well and great fun for a 14 year old to see that and cement his Gopher Fandom for life.

IIRC, Jay set the record for TE TD receptions in that game with 3. I’m guessing that record still stands.
Same deal for me. I was 13 at the time and helping to usher as a Boy Scout.

To be fair, ripping the current QB is also popular.

Top Bottom