Mike Harley: It’s time for Gopher football fans to appreciate what Fleck is building

It is a losing battle with those "National Championship or bust" kind of fans anyway in the current college football landscape. The reality is that any fans that have that standard are going to be disappointed in any team unless they cheer for one of the elite few that actually can contend year in and year out like Georgia, Ohio State and Alabama.

But that is a high percentage of fans. The fallout of the changes to college football has made the Title all that matters. College Football is about National Brands now not regional excellence.

Growing up there was a lot of people who cared more about The Rose Bowl than a National Title. Now it's "playoffs or bust!" because that is how the media frames it. College Football is just NFL-Lite and it sucks.

He took a 9‐4 team that couldn't beat Wisconsin and couldn't quite make it to a B1G Championship game and turned them into a 9-4 team that can't beat Iowa and can't quite make B1G championship game.

I will give Fleck credit for his bowl and nonconference game wins. They have all been impressive.

I don't think he has reached his peak yet. Hoping he can get a few more 10+ win seasons.

Last edited:

PJ is doing a good job here at Minnesota, like the writer stated, we are a average Big 10 job!! The problem is the divisions are going away it looks like and if you’re just taking the top 2 finishers then it may be tough for the Gophers to find a way to the Big 10 title game!! Then throw in USC & UCLA.. even tougher to get there!! And for those who want PJ gone, who ya gonna bring in?

PJ is doing a good job here at Minnesota, like the writer stated, we are a average Big 10 job!! The problem is the divisions are going away it looks like and if you’re just taking the top 2 finishers then it may be tough for the Gophers to find a way to the Big 10 title game!! Then throw in USC & UCLA.. even tougher to get there!! And for those who want PJ gone, who ya gonna bring in?
Lou Holtz

It seems that right now the college playoffs will take the champions of the so-called power five conferences, two more from the BIG, two more from the SEC, and divide the three remaining three spots between the other conferences and perhaps Notre Dame.
I do not think it is unreasonable for fans to expect "their" team to finish in the top three of the BIG on occasion.

The division-less B1G might work in our favor with a 12 team playoff. Let’s say we go 10-2, having lost to at least one or maybe both of the teams that make the conference championship game. Well, one those teams will lose, which could propel us to the 2nd ranked conference team. So without making the championship game, Say hello to the playoffs!

He took a 9‐4 team that couldn't beat Wisconsin and couldn't quite make it to a B1G Championship game and turned them into a 9-4 team that can't beat Iowa and can't quite make B1G championship game.

I will give Fleck credit for his bowl and nonconference game wins. They have all been impressive.

I don't think he has reached his peak yet. Hoping he can get a few more 10+ win seasons.
Meh the 9-4 team he took over couldn’t beat Iowa either.

This imaginary pushback against fleck isn't something I've ever seen or heard at the fan level - it's just fish wrap west or east that occasionally trash him. Fans are absolutely behind Fleck - he's the reason I finally ponied up on season tickets last year.

This imaginary pushback against fleck isn't something I've ever seen or heard at the fan level - it's just fish wrap west or east that occasionally trash him. Fans are absolutely behind Fleck - he's the reason I finally ponied up on season tickets last year.
Folks will show up if the team has a reasonable chance to win or at least be competitive against the top dogs.

I'm good with what PJ has done during his tenure. If he can somehow get 9 wins with this schedule, lock him up with a lifetime deal.

I said this before but I see PJ as the upcoming AD and his culture continuing on through possibly a former player (Morgan, Winston D.?) or similar coach. An Alvarez or Osborne-style winning program in the future but with PJ's established standards.
I don't see PJ with any desire to be the Athletic director. He likes turning boys into men. He's a football coach. He's a 7th grade social studies teacher. He likes inventing new ways to announce walk-ons getting scholarships. I don't think the little boy in PJ will ever grow old.

Um, you’re kidding right. Beat them twice. Hung nearly 40 points on them.
I didn’t realize Fleck took over for Jerry Kill. The 9-4 team Fleck took over hung 7…they did only allow 14 which I think is a pretty good capsule of what the Claeys’ regime would have offered, good defenses and bad offenses, at least for the first couple years had he stuck.

Top Bottom