Mike Grant--What an arrogant jerk

:rolleyes: B.S. The Lake is hardly afraid to play the Classic Lake.

The whole Lake Red/ Lake Blue/ Classic Lake split was all about the Classic Lake teams not wanting anything to do with the emerging suburbs of the 80's and 90's like EP and Burnsville. The Dakota County schools took EP in when no one else would have them. It is mostly the former Classic Lake schools that really wanted nothing to do with EP. Now they're gone.

Look at a map and you can tell why the Lake gave EP, Chaska and Chan the boot. EP will be just fine in the Classic Lake after everybody kisses and makes up for what happened in the 80's. And EP athletics is likely to take a big hit in the next few years because of Chanhassen, which is essentially opening IN Eden Prairie. EP's future looks more like Hopkins than it does Lakeville South.

That's funny, because I can look at a map and can tell why EP & Armstrong switched from the Lake Blue & Lake Red respectively and Armstrong went into the Classic Lake in 1993-1994 and EP went into the Lake that same year. I'd say geography had more to do with that than Edina & Minnetonka being afraid of an emerging suburban school. They would have wanted nothing to do with Wayzata just as much if that was the case. EP made the most sense because they already bordered Bloomington and didn't have as deep of rivalries with anyone compared to Richfield or Edina at the time.

The problem you ended up with is that three of the Classic Lake schools became smaller (Richfield, St. Louis Park & Cooper) while the Lake school districts added more high schools in Eastview and an additional Lakeville school. Add two to one conference and take away three from another and you have the problem. Whether or not this could have been predicted in the early 90s is something that definitely worth being mentioned.

I do agree with you that it isn't a matter of schools afraid of EP as much as geography.

Quote: "someone tell mike it's just high school football
it aint the big time.......IT'S HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Is there even one football fan in California, Texas, Florida, or Ohio who would say something like this? I think not. If Mike Grant won six high school football championships in one of those states he would be a rock star. Arrogance is almost a required character trait for winning football coaches. If you find yourself not liking a particular football coach who is arrogant, he probably coaches a team that regularly beats up on your favorite team.

i have nothing against grant at all

it's just high school football in minnesota is all it is

it's really no big deal......GOT IT?

He may be arrogant

but I would cheer for EP anytime they play a private school.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: B.S. The Lake is hardly afraid to play the Classic Lake.

The whole Lake Red/ Lake Blue/ Classic Lake split was all about the Classic Lake teams not wanting anything to do with the emerging suburbs of the 80's and 90's like EP and Burnsville. The Dakota County schools took EP in when no one else would have them. It is mostly the former Classic Lake schools that really wanted nothing to do with EP. Now they're gone.

Look at a map and you can tell why the Lake gave EP, Chaska and Chan the boot. EP will be just fine in the Classic Lake after everybody kisses and makes up for what happened in the 80's. And EP athletics is likely to take a big hit in the next few years because of Chanhassen, which is essentially opening IN Eden Prairie. EP's future looks more like Hopkins than it does Lakeville South.

The first part of what you wrote is 100% true but the conclusion of the second paragraph (while possibly true) is based on false information.

1) Chanhassen High School is located about a mile from Chaska High School on the SW side of Chan and EP is to the east of Chan.

2) The opening of Chanhassen is just a split of the existing ISD #112 which is made up of Chaska, Chanhassen, Carver, East Union, and Victoria. They are not redoing the district lines w/ EP and are not adding any students from EP. A pretty decent sized portion of Chanhassen already attends EP and that isn't changing. Chanhassen HS will be made up of Chan, Victoria, Carver & East Union and Chaska HS will be made up of the city of Chaska.

EP athletics may take a hit in the coming years but it would have less to do with the new Chanhassen high school than it does an aging population in Eden Prairie that causes enrollment to shrink (similar to Edina over the last 40 years).

2) The opening of Chanhassen is just a split of the existing ISD #112 which is made up of Chaska, Chanhassen, Carver, East Union, and Victoria. They are not redoing the district lines w/ EP and are not adding any students from EP. A pretty decent sized portion of Chanhassen already attends EP and that isn't changing. Chanhassen HS will be made up of Chan, Victoria, Carver & East Union and Chaska HS will be made up of the city of Chaska.

The single biggest advantage EP has had is that, seeing the closing of HS's in Edina and Bloomington, they decided they would never build an EP-South HS. The Southwest Metro has had no new highschool-opening activity for decades. Compare this to Dakota County, where a new HS has opened every few years.

I could be wrong about Chan having an effect. But with open-enrollment school districts matter much less than they used to. I think there are going to be a lot of kids who would have gone to EP that are going to opt for the shiny new penny and wide-open roster spots in Chanhassen.

These conferences have needed allignment for a LONG TIME. Conferences need to change due to size of neighborhoods. I remember the days of the Suburban West conference when Lakeville, Hutch, Waconia, Mound, Etc. Then that conference dissolved and the complaints before that were Hutch was too good. They and all the other schools went their own ways. Hutch joined the Missota and they didnt want them but had no choice. The travel for the conference is a joke. Going from Red Wing to Hutch and vice versa was awlful. No conference foe should be 2 1/2 hours away. I was thrilled when Hutch got accepted into the Wright County it will save on travel for the school and the schools in the conference have vastly improved.

Now for the Lake Conference, I feel that is the same way as the old Suburban West Conference. You have the big power EP and the little schools like Kennedy, Jefferson, Eagan etc. get destroyed in every sport. It is time to dissolve and go their seperate ways.

I really loved the Dakota County idea. That would be a real competitive conference.

These conferences have needed allignment for a LONG TIME. Conferences need to change due to size of neighborhoods. I remember the days of the Suburban West conference when Lakeville, Hutch, Waconia, Mound, Etc. Then that conference dissolved and the complaints before that were Hutch was too good. They and all the other schools went their own ways. Hutch joined the Missota and they didnt want them but had no choice. The travel for the conference is a joke. Going from Red Wing to Hutch and vice versa was awlful. No conference foe should be 2 1/2 hours away. I was thrilled when Hutch got accepted into the Wright County it will save on travel for the school and the schools in the conference have vastly improved.

Now for the Lake Conference, I feel that is the same way as the old Suburban West Conference. You have the big power EP and the little schools like Kennedy, Jefferson, Eagan etc. get destroyed in every sport. It is time to dissolve and go their seperate ways.

I really loved the Dakota County idea. That would be a real competitive conference.

Actually Jefferson has had one of the most successful hockey programs in recent years. And Eagan is on the rise in football and just went to state in baseball.
________
CHRYSLER FIREPOWER ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

Actually Jefferson has had one of the most successful hockey programs in recent years. And Eagan is on the rise in football and just went to state in baseball.

Ok so one sport out of how many? You can add Boys Basketball as well for Jags. Compare that to EP.

How hard is it to dominate football teams that have such small numbers compared to the other schools? Wayzata and EP have much bigger schools

The best game I watched was Lakeville/EP 2003. It made me smile as Lakeville pretty much destroyed them.

What time, because Lakeville destroyed them twice that year. Once in EP during the regular season, and then in Lakeville in the playoffs... If you ask me, both times were very nice!

The single biggest advantage EP has had is that, seeing the closing of HS's in Edina and Bloomington, they decided they would never build an EP-South HS. The Southwest Metro has had no new highschool-opening activity for decades. Compare this to Dakota County, where a new HS has opened every few years.

I could be wrong about Chan having an effect. But with open-enrollment school districts matter much less than they used to. I think there are going to be a lot of kids who would have gone to EP that are going to opt for the shiny new penny and wide-open roster spots in Chanhassen.

Kris Humphries and Willie Mobley both lived in the Chaska School District but decided to transfer to other schools with better coaches/teams. As long as EP still has better teams (it seems likely to become a wider difference now that Chaska/Chan are splitting up) the best players will still go to EP.

I hung out with a friend that coaches for the new Chanhassen school this weekend and he told me that he has been hearing concerns from parents that players won't be recruited as hard because they are playing in the Missota conference. Most people that pay close attention to recruiting realize that the coaches will find the elite players regardless of conference (Van De Steeg, Decker, Campion, Jacobs, McNeal, Hageman, etc) through video & camps. However, the average parent believes the best chance for their kid to get noticed is by playing at the best program so I don't see Chanhassen stealing the elite players from EP but rather it will continue to be the opposite.

A new Chanhassen school may manage to keep some players and may be successful in pulling the marginal HS player from EP that would otherwise be sitting the bench but I don't see it having a big impact. Despite the shiny new facilities at Chan or upgrades at Chaska (new field turf) the facilities won't compare to EP.

I'm sorry but, What?

The travel for the conference is a joke. Going from Red Wing to Hutch and vice versa was awlful. No conference foe should be 2 1/2 hours away.
My God, you have to be joking. Play in most non-metro conferences, like I did, and you would be considered some kind of pansy. The conference I played in featured: 2.5 hours by bus to Grand Rapids, 3 to Hibbing, 5 to Bemidji, and a sweet 6.5 to Moorhead for a non-conference game. While we did not do all those every year, but in my 4 years I took each of those trips twice, except Moorhead. I'm not counting 2.5 to St. Cloud to play Tech, twice in the same season or 3 to Little Falls, since those happened early in my career. Luckly Duluth has 3 high schools plus Superior, so it wasn't trips like that every week. The East Team now doesn't have that conference anymore, but last traveled to last year: Fargo North, 252 miles roughly, Thief River Falls, 243 miles, Crookston, 240 miles, and Detroit Lakes, 206 miles. I am not counting the travel for the state playoffs.
Acording to the same site, Red Wing To Hutch is 114.5 miles. So while conference realignment is a good thing, please don't forget having all these schools of simular sizes is a great thing, and the rest of the state really has it far worse.

I for one am glad they're doing something about the Classic Lake other than splitting up the schools and sending them separate ways. Hopkins, Minnetonka, and Wayzata are charter members. I think they ought split them into South and North again with
North:
Minnetonka
Wayzata
Hopkins
EP
Edina
Jefferson
Kennedy
? need eight?

South:
Chaska
Chanhassen
Apple Valley
Burnsville
Eagan
Eastview
Lakeville N.
Lakeville S.
Rosemount

What time, because Lakeville destroyed them twice that year. Once in EP during the regular season, and then in Lakeville in the playoffs... If you ask me, both times were very nice!

Of course that was the year "before" Lakeville split into North/South. While Lakeville South has had a few good teams since and Lakeville North has had some very good teams outside of football they have definitely taken a hit from what they would have had without the split.

My God, you have to be joking. Play in most non-metro conferences, like I did, and you would be considered some kind of pansy. The conference I played in featured: 2.5 hours by bus to Grand Rapids, 3 to Hibbing, 5 to Bemidji, and a sweet 6.5 to Moorhead for a non-conference game. While we did not do all those every year, but in my 4 years I took each of those trips twice, except Moorhead. I'm not counting 2.5 to St. Cloud to play Tech, twice in the same season or 3 to Little Falls, since those happened early in my career. Luckly Duluth has 3 high schools plus Superior, so it wasn't trips like that every week. The East Team now doesn't have that conference anymore, but last traveled to last year: Fargo North, 252 miles roughly, Thief River Falls, 243 miles, Crookston, 240 miles, and Detroit Lakes, 206 miles. I am not counting the travel for the state playoffs.
Acording to the same site, Red Wing To Hutch is 114.5 miles. So while conference realignment is a good thing, please don't forget having all these schools of simular sizes is a great thing, and the rest of the state really has it far worse.

DL had the same issue when I was still in HS there. The members of the Mid-State conference booted DL for football while keeping them for all other sports. As a result, DL ended up with trips to Duluth Central every other year, Bemidji, various St. Cloud area schools, games against section foes like Thief River, and random road trips to schools down on I-90. I don't believe it is as bad now but for a while there you missed a lot of Friday classes as a DL FB player b/c of the long road trips.

I remember D L crushing Central a lot those years.

DL had the same issue when I was still in HS there. The members of the Mid-State conference booted DL for football while keeping them for all other sports. As a result, DL ended up with trips to Duluth Central every other year, Bemidji, various St. Cloud area schools, games against section foes like Thief River, and random road trips to schools down on I-90. I don't believe it is as bad now but for a while there you missed a lot of Friday classes as a DL FB player b/c of the long road trips.

Between early outs for the trips and occasional afternoon Friday games, 3 older brothers who played, I didn't go to full Friday of classes very often in the fall.

Between early outs for the trips and occasional afternoon Friday games, 3 older brothers who played, I didn't go to full Friday of classes very often in the fall.

Your memory is correct. DL ran through Central to some nice W's using the trusty Veer offense. I remember the Central roadie during my Soph year. It was later in the season and the field that Central played at (which if memory serves was actually @ Denfeld HS) was mostly dirt with dead grass clippings put over it so they could paint the lines. I heard later that all the Duluth HS FB teams (and possibly soccer too) played there. Not sure if that's true but whatever the cause I'm hoping they invested in field turf by now.

Things have changed.

Your memory is correct. DL ran through Central to some nice W's using the trusty Veer offense. I remember the Central roadie during my Soph year. It was later in the season and the field that Central played at (which if memory serves was actually @ Denfeld HS) was mostly dirt with dead grass clippings put over it so they could paint the lines. I heard later that all the Duluth HS FB teams (and possibly soccer too) played there. Not sure if that's true but whatever the cause I'm hoping they invested in field turf by now.

Public Schools Stadium has had field turf now for about 10 years. The field was like that forever, because Denfeld would practice on it everyday, and Denfeld's old coach Marv Heikinen would always be running plays right in the dead smack middle of it. On our opening Home game. the field would be destroyed, and the first raining game would be an adventure. They redid the seating, and the away stands are completely gone. Everybody sits on the same side now. It is a much nicer venue.

Top Bottom