Mike Grant--What an arrogant jerk

even though it comes off as arrogant you have to admit there is likely some truth to his comments about no one really "wanting" to play them. he just didn't play the PC game in how he worded his comment.

The move of the 9 schools out of the Lake Conference is in reaction to the MSHSL ordering 4 new, very large schools into the Lake, making it a 16-team conference. It has nothing to do with not wanting to play EP.

someone tell mike it's just high school football

it aint the big time.......IT'S HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

The Lake is going to split. Chanhassen and Chaska are going to the Missota Conference. Eden Prairie is going to be forced to a 5 or 6 team league with the Classic Lake teams and the rest of the Lake will reorganize.

People want to complain about the MSHSL but if they were not involved, Grants senario is very true. No one wants to play the Classic Lake or Eden Prairie unless they have to.

As long as he can get his kids to graduate....wait, wha? this is HS football?

Anyone who has been following this mess for any length of time (like myself) has seen the breakup of the Lake coming from a mile away. It is simply a matter of time before this happens and sets off a massive metro-wide conference realignment. If anything, the Lake Conference has been the one holding this up.

The breakup has almost happened once already. The Dakota County schools in the Lake (Rosemount, Eagan, Apple Valley, Eastview, Lakeville North & South, and Burnsville) were ready to leave and form their own league, but they couldn't get either Hastings or Farmington to leave the SEC and Missota, respectively, so they couldn't get to 8.

Hutchinson has already gotten out of the Missota and into the Wright County with neighbors Glencoe, Dassel-Cokato, and Litchfield.

Elk River has been grumbling about wanting out of the NW Suburban, but the M8 (their preferred destination) won't let them in for anything other than football.

John Millea at the Tribune and the Twin Cities Hoops Czar have been following this since August of 2007.

someone tell mike it's just high school football

I hear you, his teams may be good by Minnesota standards but there are plenty of teams in Florida, Texas, California, Louisiana, Georgia, etc. that would wipe the floor with his team and even here I don't think that Cretin would be running scared from playing his guys.

Anyone who has been following this mess for any length of time (like myself) has seen the breakup of the Lake coming from a mile away. It is simply a matter of time before this happens and sets off a massive metro-wide conference realignment. If anything, the Lake Conference has been the one holding this up.

The breakup has almost happened once already. The Dakota County schools in the Lake (Rosemount, Eagan, Apple Valley, Eastview, Lakeville North & South, and Burnsville) were ready to leave and form their own league, but they couldn't get either Hastings or Farmington to leave the SEC and Missota, respectively, so they couldn't get to 8.

Hutchinson has already gotten out of the Missota and into the Wright County with neighbors Glencoe, Dassel-Cokato, and Litchfield.

Elk River has been grumbling about wanting out of the NW Suburban, but the M8 (their preferred destination) won't let them in for anything other than football.

John Millea at the Tribune and the Twin Cities Hoops Czar have been following this since August of 2007.

The Dakota schools forming a conference makes sense. The Bloomington schools want to look for another home, thus leaving 5 teams in the Lake Conference. The same problem the Classic Lake had- just 5 teams.

Would the Lake ever consider taking AHA & BSM? Their locations makes sense. The hockey teams match up, but what about the other sports? I don't buy the enrollment issue with these schools, since they can recruit their athletes. Nice looking conference:
AHA
BSM
Edina
EP
Hopkins
Mtka
Wayzata

The Bloomington schools would fit right in. What exactly are those schools looking for??

I hear you, his teams may be good by Minnesota standards but there are plenty of teams in Florida, Texas, California, Louisiana, Georgia, etc. that would wipe the floor with his team and even here I don't think that Cretin would be running scared from playing his guys.

?

As soon as they start making high school conferences that spread across several states, your comment would be relevant to anything ever.

AHA and Benilde would get massacred in football. They don't have the numbers. You need to forget that "recruiting" BS.

AHA and Benilde would get massacred in football. They don't have the numbers. You need to forget that "recruiting" BS.

This.

When I was growing up in Chaska in the mid-90's AHA & Benilde worked to get Lakeville and Chaska kicked out of the Missota conference because they were too big. Now you're asking those schools to go up against teams like EP. If they held the score within 50 points it would be a moral victory.

So they don't recruit their hockey players?? Those hockey teams were non-factors 10+ years ago.

Put EP & Wayzata aside...how would AHA & BSM football match-up with the other teams on the football field? What about basketball, soccer, baseball, etc.

AHA & BSM

So they don't recruit their hockey players?? Those hockey teams were non-factors 10+ years ago.

Put EP & Wayzata aside...how would AHA & BSM football match-up with the other teams on the football field? What about basketball, soccer, baseball, etc.

I don't know about hockey. I can only answer for AHA's football program. But they did go out and hire Trebil from Bloomington Jefferson to turn the program around, and that he did.

I don't think they would fare too well with any of them in football. Those schools are all 5A, and AHA and BSM are 4A. There's a big gap there due to size, much larger than the one between 3A and 4A.

The move of the 9 schools out of the Lake Conference is in reaction to the MSHSL ordering 4 new, very large schools into the Lake, making it a 16-team conference. It has nothing to do with not wanting to play EP.

Agreed. He is just using this as another reason to get his name in the paper and talk about how great he is. Like someone above said, this is HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL!

I can hear Allen Iverson right now..."What are we talking about, high school? We talking about high school, not college, not pros, high school. What are we talking about? High school."

Quote: "someone tell mike it's just high school football

Is there even one football fan in California, Texas, Florida, or Ohio who would say something like this? I think not. If Mike Grant won six high school football championships in one of those states he would be a rock star. Arrogance is almost a required character trait for winning football coaches. If you find yourself not liking a particular football coach who is arrogant, he probably coaches a team that regularly beats up on your favorite team.

Arrogant?

How about he is a great high school coach, despite having the advantage of numbers, he knows where to play a kid and everyone contributes. He has the entire community of youth wanting to play football for E.P.. He is spot on that no one wants to play them, it is very true. I think what you mean is that you and others are jealous of their success. Grant would be happy to get into a conference with the top seven schools in the state. The results would be the same.

He is spot on that no one wants to play them, it is very true.

I'm biased to Wayzata, but let them join a conference with us, Edina, Tonka, Hopkins and a team(s) to be named later. I think they'd welcome EP and the kids would jacked for the challenge of playing some of the best every year.

I don't think it's true that no one wants to play them, but there are plenty of teams that don't because they lack the numbers or the talent to compete. I think Coach Grant will find teams that can match at least the former, and in many years the latter, by making a move to play some schools just to the north.

EP has a great program but I've personally never been all that impressed by the football mind of Mike Grant. His team frequently tips off their play by the alignment of their lineman. Our problem was that even though we knew what play they were running we couldn't stop it. His players were so much better than ours that our DL was getting knocked in to the safeties that were trying to make the tackle 10 yards down the field.

His teams are fundamentally sound, execute well, and everybody is playing at the right position. Part of that is Mike Grant's coaching, part of that is the youth program that EP has starting back in elementary school, and part of that is the enrollment/demographics of EP. However, in my opinion there are much better coaches in the state. As a whole the Wright County conference probably has the best coaches in the state (G-SL, Hutch, etc).

Well, perhaps EP should stop ducking Rockhurst and play them. Then again, after watching what Rockhurst did against Minnetonka 40-some to 6 the week after the Skippers played EP (EP won by 7), something tells me that EP wants NOTHING to do with Rockhurst.

Instead of the deep south, perhaps Minnesota schools should try and beat teams from Missouri first.

Well, perhaps EP should stop ducking Rockhurst and play them. Then again, after watching what Rockhurst did against Minnetonka 40-some to 6 the week after the Skippers played EP (EP won by 7), something tells me that EP wants NOTHING to do with Rockhurst.

Instead of the deep south, perhaps Minnesota schools should try and beat teams from Missouri first.

Kansas City Rockhurst is a great program and I was able to play them a couple of times in high school in the mid 90's. They have always been a great program it seems and I agree that most years they probably would beat EP without much problem. The level of talent that has come out of that program over the years is pretty impressive.

It just bothers me the air of invicibility that Grant has. Who has he played, in all of his years, that gives him that air? The answer is simple: All Minnesota teams. Go out and play someone out of state who is nationally respected. Rockhurst does it all the time. Cretin has played teams from Louisiana. 'Tonka has done it by scheduling Rockhurst. I hear how great EP is but they never play anyone of any magnitude.

The best game I watched was Lakeville/EP 2003. It made me smile as Lakeville pretty much destroyed them.

It just bothers me the air of invicibility that Grant has. Who has he played, in all of his years, that gives him that air? The answer is simple: All Minnesota teams. Go out and play someone out of state who is nationally respected. Rockhurst does it all the time. Cretin has played teams from Louisiana. 'Tonka has done it by scheduling Rockhurst. I hear how great EP is but they never play anyone of any magnitude.

The best game I watched was Lakeville/EP 2003. It made me smile as Lakeville pretty much destroyed them.

I agree with you 100% and it would be a great reality check if they went and played one of these top out of state programs every few years.

Ducking Rockhurst? Hardly. EP would have been fine against them the past decade. I think Rockhurst was too busy flexing their muscles against little MN schools like Becker.

Plus, when we start bashing MN football, lets remember one thing ----- not many people here give a Fuc& about football, we are a hockey and basketball state. Thats like us talking tough telling the best hockey team in Kansas to step up and come take on Edina. I would bet the only place where you can actually join a football league before Jr High in this state is in the metro area. I grew up in the 2nd largest "area" in MN and I can tell you in the late 90's we did not have football league for kids, Jr High was your first taste of football.

Ducking Rockhurst? Hardly. EP would have been fine against them the past decade. I think Rockhurst was too busy flexing their muscles against little MN schools like Becker.

That was a "filler" for their schedule. Everybody knows that in the entire KC area.

EP would have gotten pancaked in 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2008.

Rockhurst had a total of 34 D-1 players in those years.

And 4 NFL guys.

Good luck EP.

I don't know if they would have pancaked them in 2002 & 2007. Beaten them, perhaps....but not pancaked.

2002: Both beat Edina (which did have a decent team that year) relatively easily.
2007: EP completely destroyed a Cretin team that had Michael Floyd, John Nance, Shady Salamon, & Sentreal Henderson in the state title game.

The thing is: I don't really know of anyone that's been claming that EP is better than Rockhurst. EP is what they are: a large public suburban community that is good at what they do regarding Minnesota high school football. I don't think anybody is claiming they're better than Rockhurst, or on a level of DeLaSalle or Evangel Christian.

As for what Grant said.....perhaps he shouldn't have said what he said, or could have phrased it better. As for the conference, I do hope that the Lake somewhat does change because if you had the current Lake and added Wayzata, Edina, Minnetonka & Hopkins, that is an absolute POWER conference with arguably the two best football programs in Wayzata & EP, the biggest murder conference hockey wise with Edina, Jefferson, EP & Minnetonka, and we shouldn't forget Hopkins basketball.

... Grants senario is very true. No one wants to play the Classic Lake or Eden Prairie unless they have to.

:rolleyes: B.S. The Lake is hardly afraid to play the Classic Lake.

The whole Lake Red/ Lake Blue/ Classic Lake split was all about the Classic Lake teams not wanting anything to do with the emerging suburbs of the 80's and 90's like EP and Burnsville. The Dakota County schools took EP in when no one else would have them. It is mostly the former Classic Lake schools that really wanted nothing to do with EP. Now they're gone.

Look at a map and you can tell why the Lake gave EP, Chaska and Chan the boot. EP will be just fine in the Classic Lake after everybody kisses and makes up for what happened in the 80's. And EP athletics is likely to take a big hit in the next few years because of Chanhassen, which is essentially opening IN Eden Prairie. EP's future looks more like Hopkins than it does Lakeville South.

Top Bottom