Mike Grant staying at Eden Prairie

I have no doubt that Grant wanted the job. He took a leave of absence at Forest Lake to be an assistant there. The rumor at the time (this was about 25 years ago) was that he thought Gags was going to retire and he'd get the job. I'm pretty sure that the "withdrawl" was to save face when he found out he wasn't going to get hired. I don't think he'd be a good recruiter. He's a naturally arrogant guy (yeah, a lot of coaches are) and his personality wouldn't play well with the kind of kids that would be going to SJU. He's also immensely unpopular amongst other high school coaches in the state and I wouldn't doubt that coaches would steer guys away from SJU on purpose just to stick it to Grant.

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, or something else, but Gags almost was San Diego St.'s coach. I think I remember he agreed to it or something with the AD and came back to SJU and had a change of heart.

Grant might've done OK there. SJU gets a lot of legacy players so any alum will hopefully continue that. I remember we had a DB a few years ago that turned down a walk on offer at the U and other scholarship offers to play at the U because his grandpa did. Think his name was Bobby Klint.

That rumor of Dave Nelson is untrue.
As for mike grant. Good for him that they allowed him to pull his name before they picked someone else.
He would be a terrible head coach at the college level. He has about 10 offensive plays and a terrible personality. He would be fired within 5 years at St. John's. as it is, he will probably retire from Eden prairie in the next 6 year and may get another shot at the job.

I love when people complain about St Thomas having unfair advantages.
St Thomas sucked in football for 20 years while St. John's dominated. Nobody complained about St. John's dominating. They hire a new coach who turns around the program and suddenly they have unfair advantages. Well apparently those unfair advantages were never their before. Apparently Caruso didnt turn the program around before the new additions to that campus (wait he did).

St Thomas does have an unfair advantage. That being they have one of the best coaches in the country. Probably top 50 at any level and top 3-5 at D3. And lucky for st Thomas, he to this point has shown no interest in moving up despite his background. I suspect he will be a FCS coach in the next 5 years at one of the Dakota's (he coordinated at USD and NDSU).

That rumor of Dave Nelson is untrue.
As for mike grant. Good for him that they allowed him to pull his name before they picked someone else.
He would be a terrible head coach at the college level. He has about 10 offensive plays and a terrible personality. He would be fired within 5 years at St. John's. as it is, he will probably retire from Eden prairie in the next 6 year and may get another shot at the job.

I love when people complain about St Thomas having unfair advantages.
St Thomas sucked in football for 20 years while St. John's dominated. Nobody complained about St. John's dominating. They hire a new coach who turns around the program and suddenly they have unfair advantages. Well apparently those unfair advantages were never their before. Apparently Caruso didnt turn the program around before the new additions to that campus (wait he did).

St Thomas does have an unfair advantage. That being they have one of the best coaches in the country. Probably top 50 at any level and top 3-5 at D3. And lucky for st Thomas, he to this point has shown no interest in moving up despite his background. I suspect he will be a FCS coach in the next 5 years at one of the Dakota's (he coordinated at USD and NDSU
).

I talked about the advantages at St. Thomas, but I don't think they are unfair. They are perfectly fair, they have a very good coach who energized the school to dump a ton of money into the football program. That's not unfair but it is an advantage. We really did wake up a sleeping giant, there is nothing unfair about it.

Top Bottom