Mike Gesell 2012

gaunt006

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the gophers plan on making a move on this kid? He holds offers from Nebraska, Creighton, Drake, Iowa, Iowa State Northern Iowa, Utah. But I haven't seen anything from the gophers on him.

He had a great summer with Martin Brothers on a stacked team that had Adam Woodbury (2012 hold a gopher offer), Mading Thok (will be D-2), and Akoy Agau (2013).

Agau is another player the gophers need to go after hard. 14 pt 9 blocks 17 rebounds as a freshman in the state finals. But this is about Gesell, he's a scoring point guard who can pass. Just wanted to know if anyone here has a clue about if/when an offer might come from the gophers.

Does anyone know if the gophers plan on making a move on this kid? He holds offers from Nebraska, Creighton, Drake, Iowa, Iowa State Northern Iowa, Utah. But I haven't seen anything from the gophers on him.

He had a great summer with Martin Brothers on a stacked team that had Adam Woodbury (2012 hold a gopher offer), Mading Thok (will be D-2), and Akoy Agau (2013).

Agau is another player the gophers need to go after hard. 14 pt 9 blocks 17 rebounds as a freshman in the state finals. But this is about Gesell, he's a scoring point guard who can pass. Just wanted to know if anyone here has a clue about if/when an offer might come from the gophers.

Sure hope not if that is his offer list. MN did not hire Tubby to fight off Iowa St and Northern Iowa for recruits. They should be battling MSU, Illinois, and Wisconsin for players.

The kid is going into his junior year so these school offered him as a soph. He will be a top 100 players, and Wisconsin has talked with him already, but no offer yet. Scout has him as the 14th best pg in his class. Everyone that I've talked to says this kid never stops working. He shoots 1,000 jumpers after practice every day. At worst this kid is Ben Woodside but he's 6' and growing.

Gesell has been 6 ft for two years. He's got a nice jumper and he is very athletic in terms of jumping etc but is not great off the bounce in traffic. Iowa State and UNI would be great fits for him.

That being said, I like him more than Zierding from Benilde because Gesell's a better athlete. They throw lobs to this kid and he get's up nice to finish.

Did you happen to even look at his class year? He just started his junior year. Since he doesn't have offers from top schools (yet), I guess we should just not recruit him at all, right? Let's wait and see if he receives offers from schools like MSU, Illinois, and Wisconsin, and then we'll know that he's good enough to receive a MN offer. Oh wait, it's too late at that point...

Sure hope not if that is his offer list. MN did not hire Tubby to fight off Iowa St and Northern Iowa for recruits. They should be battling MSU, Illinois, and Wisconsin for players.

An evaluation of Gesell from a recent John Lucas camp. Who knows if it means anything, but Minnesota is not mentioned in this particular blurb, nor on the one from Scout.

"The tough combination guard had some dominating possessions. Gesell is a fearless competitor who is sneaky athletic and will finish above the rim on the break versus unexpecting transition defenders. Gesell handles and passes the ball smoothly and effortlessly and can find the open man on the break or when running the show in the half-court set. Gesell is also a deadly perimeter shooter who can get on a role and knock down two or three in a row. He has excellent strength for his size and is not afraid to mix it up when he attacks the lane. Nebraska, Creighton, Northern Iowa, Iowa, Iowa State, Drake and Utah have all offered."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5647090

Marcus Paige please (Kansas is after him also).

Do the Gophers have a chance for Paige?

Noticed Cory Joseph on the Wooden watch list:cry:

Sorry guys. No chance at Paige. I don't even think Kansas is going to nab him. Dicknose Roy is all over this kid.

Gesell is going to be a good one.

Sorry guys. No chance at Paige. I don't even think Kansas is going to nab him. Dicknose Roy is all over this kid.

Gesell is going to be a good one.

Given this a lot of thought (OK, just a medium amount of thought).

I think Tubby does not get the "elite" player, because these guys have Roy and Calipari and Rick telling them "My number one priority is to make you a success in the NBA". Pretty sure Tubby is not going to say this. But I have read statements from both Cal and Rick to this point.

Gophers may be better off concentrating on Minnesota kids and high level players like Andre who realize the NBA may not be a guaranteed long term future.

I think Tubby does not get the "elite" player, because these guys have Roy and Calipari and Rick telling them "My number one priority is to make you a success in the NBA". Pretty sure Tubby is not going to say this. But I have read statements from both Cal and Rick to this point.

Gophers may be better off concentrating on Minnesota kids and high level players like Andre who realize the NBA may not be a guaranteed long term future.

Minnesota hasn't put a player into NBA in quite some time. Williams or Mbakwe may change that in 2011.

Tubby put 19 players into the NBA from 1994 through 2007 but none since then.

Paige is down to two schools: North Carolina or Kansas. Roy Williams was in Iowa last night to see Paige play.

Cal is getting these players because he promises the agents that own the players he will work to get them into the NBA ASAP. Their is a reason why guys like Don Meyer don't like Cal, but love Tubby.

Anyway I'm trying to wrap my head around the gophers not calling this Mike G. They might like someone better in this class right now, but I would think he has to be in your top 5 for point guards.

Paige is down to two schools: North Carolina or Kansas. Roy Williams was in Iowa last night to see Paige play.

Makes sense. He's an elite player in 2012 class. Elite players often (not always) choose elite schools to attend.

Top Bottom