Mid-season grades

gopher7

Reaction score
How would you grade the units with half of the Big Ten season remaining?

QB: D Hard to believe how bad it's been. Weber played better as a freshman than he is right now.

RB: C+ They haven't done a lot wrong, they just don't seem to be that good. Impressed that (I think?) the RBs only have 1 fumble this year (Bennett against Wiconsin)

WR B+ Decker has been great, but everyone else has been way too quiet (but maybe not their fault)

TE: B Tow-Arnett has been good as a receiver, but would like to see the ball thrown to him more.

OL: D Two decent games against bad defenses. The rest just awful

DL: C Rush defense has been okay, but pass rush needs to be much more consistent. We miss WVS.

LB: A Best starters on the team, all of them can play

DB: C Definitely gotten worse since last year, especially Simmons. I thought this position would be more of a strength than it has.

ST: A Hard to find anything to complain about here

Overall: C- For as horrible as it's been in some areas we are still 4-3 and probably just about where many people thought we would be by now. The one thing I am really disappointed in (newsflash) is the lack of improvement by our offense. I knew it would start rough but figured with 10 starters returning we'd be veteran enough to help ease the transition, and that hasn't happened. To our credit we did manage to pull out wins in close games against Syracuse and Air Force, and we won the two Big Ten games we should have in Purdue and Northwestern. As crazy as it sounds getting to 7 wins is still very attainable.

Too much grading for me.

Offense: F
Defense C+
Brewster. B only because we're 4-3.

Special teams has been a pleasant surprise this year. While I think the LBs have been the best part of the defense, I wouldn't give them an A, unless you're talking about an A relative to the line and the secondary.

STs/SFs...B+

to allow for even more improvement...also demonstrates some tangible Brew/Butler coaching expertise.

WTF, SPECIAL FORCES, not special teams. Rose

Special teams has been a pleasant surprise this year. While I think the LBs have been the best part of the defense, I wouldn't give them an A, unless you're talking about an A relative to the line and the secondary.

Bowls will be out of the question with that sort of inattention to detail, without question!

Top Bottom