Mickey Joseph Could Be Named the New Nebraska Permanent Head Coach Prior to the Gopher Game

I really hate to inject this part of it into the discussion .... but I'm sorry, it's there.

No head coach in Nebraska history has been Black. And they're going to not hire this guy, in order to hire a white guy?

Sorry, it's just the times we live in. It's a factor ...

I’m someone who does believe in momentum and motivation.
There is no reason to name Joseph the coach now other than he would have to be the players choice. With the announcement, my fear is they would respond with their best team performance.
(I also see no other reason why Nebraska does it now rather than to make a decision at seasons end if not to gain a motivational advantage for this game) (Same AD fired Frost at a penalty cost of $7 million to save the players) (This would double down to the players he hears them)
Butch Nash is credited with delivering passionate pre-game speeches prior to a couple of Brown Jug vs No. 1 rated Michigan teams which resulted in Gopher victories.
Herb Brooks 1980 Olympics.

I’m someone who does believe in momentum and motivation.
There is no reason to name Joseph the coach now other than he would have to be the players choice. With the announcement, my fear is they would respond with their best team performance.
(I also see no other reason why Nebraska does it now rather than to make a decision at seasons end if not to gain a motivational advantage for this game) (Same AD fired Frost at a penalty cost of $7 million to save the players) (This would double down to the players he hears them)
Butch Nash is credited with delivering passionate pre-game speeches prior to a couple of Brown Jug vs No. 1 rated Michigan teams which resulted in Gopher victories.
Herb Brooks 1980 Olympics.
A pregame speech might have you fired up taking the field or ice or whatever. A pregame speech/halftime speech is not going to win or lose the game.

I will stand by my previous post that the ONLY way they do this now is if they are sure all their top external targets are not interested in the job. Even if they do decide to name him the head coach before the game tomorrow it will be a non-factor in the outcome of the game.

A pregame speech might have you fired up taking the field or ice or whatever. A pregame speech/halftime speech is not going to win or lose the game.

I will stand by my previous post that the ONLY way they do this now is if they are sure all their top external targets are not interested in the job. Even if they do decide to name him the head coach before the game tomorrow it will be a non-factor in the outcome of the game.
It is quite possible that given the many power five HC positions now available that NE is not at the head of the list for many of the "targets" who want to leave their current job.
NE seems like a place where any HC not named Osborne goes to fail because they cannot live up to the expectations of NE becoming relevant on the national stage.
It is rightly assumed by any coach's agent that WI is out of play leaving some very interesting possibilities in Auburn, GA Tech, AZST, and CO that may look better than NE.

It is quite possible that given the many power five HC positions now available that NE is not at the head of the list for many of the "targets" who want to leave their current job.
NE seems like a place where any HC not named Osborne goes to fail because they cannot live up to the expectations of NE becoming relevant on the national stage.
It is rightly assumed by any coach's agent that WI is out of play leaving some very interesting possibilities in Auburn, GA Tech, AZST, and CO that may look better than NE.
If I'm a coach at a P5 school, I'm very hesitant to leave for any of these unless I'm likely to be on the HOT seat soon or maybe WI. WI seems to have the most stable Athletic Department and program but got to think Leonard gets that job.

Saw a tweet that Leonhard offered 11 kids from one high school in California yesterday.

Why you wouldn’t want to just clean house after frost would be beyond me

Well, maybe the players like him. He's done OK as an interim coach of a failing program. Also, it's a diversity hire and those are very popular among top university administrators today. Finally, they can probably get him on the cheap with a lower buyout than they would have to pay a coach of higher stature. That likely is a consideration for a team that has had to pay two buyouts in less than five years.

Where I can donate so they hire him? He is 100% not the answer. His coaching decisions in the second half were baffling.

Where I can donate so they hire him? He is 100% not the answer. His coaching decisions in the second half were baffling.
What did he do that you disagreed with? Not arguing, just curious.

What did he do that you disagreed with? Not arguing, just curious.
The biggest example was calling that draw play on 3rd and 11 in the 4th. Not because he called a draw, coaches give up all the time and punt. (and they would have pinned us most likely so I could see making that call) Its that they weren't giving up, they were going for it on 4th no matter what happened. So instead of calling a play that might get 4-5 yards to make it much more manageable, you call something that unless the entire D is looking the wrong way, at best will get you a yard or two making it 4th and forever and putting all sorts of ridiculous pressure on your offense which has not exactly been clicking.

Now, if you are a team with an A+ QB playing this is no problem. (of course if you have an A+ QB you throw there or call something else) You are playing like your 44th string QB at this point and now you are putting him in a horrible position. (which to his credit he was able to convert on an unbelievable catch)

Now admittedly I only watched the second half (which felt like 5 hours cause good lord ESPN is awful) but to me he struck me as the guy who is not strong in his decision-making. I don't think he gets situational playcalling and how sometimes you just have to go against what you originally had in mind. Another example as they reviewed the 4th and 10 (and forgive me my mind was mush by then because ESPN just ruins everything so if the sequence is off I apologize) they had plenty of time to come up with a sequence for what happens if they get the ball. They are in a great position to get into the end zone and now we are a bit on tilt defensively. That they were playing for a FG was obvious from the word jump. It reminded me of TC in the Michigan game...

He might be a better coach than Frost, but he is not the long term answer IMHO. If ASU wants him I would let them have him if I were Trev. Thankfully I am not so I wholeheartedly endorse MJ as the new Nebraska coach and give him a Mel Tucker deal!! The Gophs will win 7/10 games that he coaches against us I would bet on it.

Top Bottom