Mickey Joseph Could Be Named the New Nebraska Permanent Head Coach Prior to the Gopher Game

60's Guy

Reaction score
Story Probably not good timing for the Gophers on Saturday if it happens.

Sounding like it’s true. I’m shocked, but as I educate myself about him he sounds like he could be good. Seems like a great guy who can really recruit.

Last edited:

Story Probably not good timing for the Gophers on Saturday if it happens.
I would actually say the opposite

Probably doesn’t impact the game, but if it did, I would say it probably helps the gophers

Bad idea. You have got to let the season play out and make the decision after the season plays out. What if the Huskers lose out and get blown out the rest of the way?? Why not see if there is some interest by some top coaches after the year is over with after you have talked to several coaches??

If they name Joseph right now it tells me there wasn't any interest from other coaches that they have been fishing for.

Rumors are Joseph going to Sun Devils and Baylor's Arunda to Huskers. Then Leipold, to Lane Kiffen, Bill O'Brien, or even Bret B!! Whatever happened to PJ Fleck's name?

And I COULD be named Pope of Rome but it ain't going to happen.

That would tell me there wasn’t much interest in the Nebraska job.
Right. And if Joseph, then it will be underwhelming. Any other candidates will throw the rest of this season in the toilet.

It can change the psychology. Everyone on Nebraska relaxes a bit and becomes more focused. It absolutely can have an impact on the game.
Lol. Ok. I’m sure that 24 hours will be very important. I’ll donate $10 to your favorite charity if he is named head coach before kickoff of the gophers game

Motivation is the X factor here in the next game and has me the most worried. With Purdue we saw a team that looked down on itself make mistake after mistake / beat itself. Nebraska actually looked motivated in the first half of the Illinois game .... and honestly that's been one of Neb's big issues, their team under their last two coaches always looked fragile emotionally / as a team. You could punch them in the nose and they'd fold.

I'm concerned.

There’s no way that happens.
I agree and if it does, they are making a huge mistake. The guy can be a candidate but they need to do more homework on potential candidates outside the University. They are thinking continuity in recruiting for the year but it will not matter as the Frost guys will be leaving anyway. But hoping they do screw it up!

Rumors are Joseph going to Sun Devils and Baylor's Arunda to Huskers. Then Leipold, to Lane Kiffen, Bill O'Brien, or even Bret B!! Whatever happened to PJ Fleck's name?
I am not a Bret or Nebraska fan but his power running game would have the folks in Lincoln loving life. I never thought of Bret to Nebraska but it would be a good hire for them.

The Iowa Hawkeye would have coached at Wisconsin, Illinois, and Nebraska... he just needs a stop in Ames and the Gophers to coach at any of his school's rivals.

Why you wouldn’t want to just clean house after frost would be beyond me

And give him tenure.
And make him Benjamin Franklin Presidential Practice Professor and Senior Fellow at the Andrea Mitchell Center for the Study of Democracy. The pay is the same.

Why you wouldn’t want to just clean house after frost would be beyond me
Well, in this situation, Mickey Joseph was brought in with Whipple (OC from Pitt last year) as backups to the Frost regime, in case the firing happened. So the interim HC and the OC aren't really "Frost guys".

I like Mickey Joseph, but I under these circumstances, that's a tough job.

I think Leipold, BB, or Klieman make the most sense. Kiffin would be fun, but why? Aranda is a really good coach, but I don't know why he would do it.

FWIW.....I read on Twitter (who knows, right?) that Kleiman, Leipold and Campbell said no and Kiffin wanted too much $$$$$.

Lol. Ok. I’m sure that 24 hours will be very important. I’ll donate $10 to your favorite charity if he is named head coach before kickoff of the gophers game
I didn't say he would be, but if he was it could have an impact. I would be shocked if they named a coach before the end of the season. No reason to unless they think he's going to Arizona State and don't want to lose him.

I didn't say he would be, but if he was it could have an impact. I would be shocked if they named a coach before the end of the season. No reason to unless they think he's going to Arizona State and don't want to lose him.
Yeah, only reason I could see them doing this before the end of the year is if they already know that their top external targets are not interested. Even though there has been very little public info about the coaching search you know lots of things are happening behind the scenes.

Kiffin and Bert aren't going anywhere.

Top Bottom