Mickey Joseph: “You got to recruit your ass off. We ain’t chasing Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. We are chasing Ohio State.”

Joseph won’t get the job, but what’s he supposed to say? Unless he wants to crucify Frost and say he left us behind Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and this is a complete rebuild that will take time to be rebuilt the right way, etc., his only choice is to say the race is to catch OSU to be the best in the conference otherwise they’d fire him on the spot as the fan base would be in an uproar if he admitted they’re a middle of the pack to bottom dweller in the conference right now
Pretty much just drop the extra. That or something real generic like the goal is to recruit at a championship level. Kind of silly to potentially fire up your next opponent.

Joseph is talking to Alberts, not to the teams he mentioned.
There are plenty of NE fans who still believe that there is a national championship just around the corner if they can find another Osborne.

Bluster. That’s a guy doing whatever he can to get the job, desperate.

In terms of recruiting, which is now directly tied with NIL, he's pretty much spot on. Nebraska is only chasing Ohio State.

Nebraska's NIL contributions are 2nd only to Ohio State in the conference and could very well pass them soon.
Where do find this information? And if it’s correct, when is it going to reflect in the recruiting rankings?

Joseph is talking to Alberts, not to the teams he mentioned.
There are plenty of NE fans who still believe that there is a national championship just around the corner if they can find another Osborne.
Good point, but with risk.

Everyone talks about how good Nebraska recruiting is (usually around 4th or 5th in the BG10 per 247 Sports), but those rankings must be garbage. Nebraska puts fewer players in the NFL draft compared better West counterparts with lower recruit rankings. I wonder if recruits get an upgrade or downgrade based on the branding of the team that signs them thus skewing the numbers?

Everyone talks about how good Nebraska recruiting is (usually around 4th or 5th in the BG10 per 247 Sports), but those rankings must be garbage. Nebraska puts fewer players in the NFL draft compared better West counterparts with lower recruit rankings. I wonder if recruits get an upgrade or downgrade based on the branding of the team that signs them thus skewing the numbers?
One key thing: 247 et al are selling a product.

Nebraska fans are rabid. They buy. And they're extremely loyal.

Are they more likely to buy a product that tells them their recruiting is good, or a product that tells them their recruiting is bad?

I hope they keep Mickey Joseph as their HC as he comes across as a complete tool.

I see those comments as exhibit A, as it relates to the disease that has affected that program for years.

They have long been under the illusion that there is simply a magic lever somewhere that just needs to be pulled and then it will be the 1990’s again.

The majority of elite football players at age 18 or under, grow up and develop in the southeast, Texas, California, and Ohio.

None of these kids want to go to Lincoln, Nebraska.

I remember playing them in baseball when i was in college in the early 90's.....we walked around the facilities before the game, including the football field, locker rooms and weight room. Most of us were in awe at how nice everything was....times have changed. Most programs (including the Gophers) have caught up or passed them in terms of the shiny weight rooms, etc.......and that had to what attracted guys to play there because it ain't due to the lovely city of Lincoln.

I remember playing them in baseball when i was in college in the early 90's.....we walked around the facilities before the game, including the football field, locker rooms and weight room. Most of us were in awe at how nice everything was....times have changed. Most programs (including the Gophers) have caught up or passed them in terms of the shiny weight rooms, etc.......and that had to what attracted guys to play there because it ain't due to the lovely city of Lincoln.
Just a guess but there were probably some "extra" benefits that also helped attract the top players to Lincoln back in the day.

Whoever Nebraska hires, let's hope he harps on getting back to the way things were done 25 years ago. It's better when they're busy chasing that ghost.

The majority of elite football players at age 18 or under, grow up and develop in the southeast, Texas, California, and Ohio.

None of these kids want to go to Lincoln, Nebraska.
Not necessarily true. Not sure of the current roster, but for some time, they had many players from greater L.A./ So. Cal.

Not from, but lived there.Lawrence Phillips

Top Bottom