Michigan

bga1

Reaction score
Hanging in against Duke! 1:30 to go and down 1. Belein has done a job with this squad. Wow.

Great look for a last shot. If those guys all stick around they will be tough next year.

With all else being equal:
Good Backcourt > Good Frontcourt

They gave the Big Ten a good name at the very least. Always good when #4 in the BT, who started 1-6 nonetheless, can compete with a top 2 team in the ACC.

Is there a chance any of them leave early? If they all stay, they could compete for the conference championship, especially since the BT will be down.

Is there a chance any of them leave early? If they all stay, they could compete for the conference championship, especially since the BT will be down.

Probably not. If they won today and got to the elite 8 let's say, and Morris carried the team, then he might have thought about it. No one is leaving this off season.

They'll be good next year, probably top 4 in the B1G, but they got most of the wins beating up on the soft underbelly of the conference next season, and were never able to win the Big Game (unless you want to count MSU).

Hanging in against Duke! 1:30 to go and down 1. Belein has done a job with this squad. Wow.

Beilein has improved the players and team from start to finish of the season.

Great coaching job.

Novak underrated player.

There is a (very) small chance a guy like Morris might come out. He will get a look in the NBA at some point. If I was betting I would say they are all back.

Very impressive today. I wish the wide-open 3- jumper from the wing, was the shot of that last split-second choice. Would have defeated Duke by 1. Great game.

There is a (very) small chance a guy like Morris might come out. He will get a look in the NBA at some point. If I was betting I would say they are all back.

Morris is their new Manny Harris and he barley landed on an NBA team.

IMO, they all stay. Will be interesting to see Coleman / Hollins Vs. Hardaway / Morris.

Morris is their new Manny Harris and he barley landed on an NBA team.

IMO, they all stay. Will be interesting to see Coleman / Hollins Vs. Hardaway / Morris.
Harris should have come back for his senior year (or left after his sophomore year).

Chad Ford (the espn draft "guru") said he hopes Morris comes back next year and has the potential to be a lottery pick next year.

I don't get ripping on Manny Harris for leaving early and "barely making) an NBA team where he averages 6 pts a game. Yeah he didn't get drafted, but give the kid credit for making a team. I'd rather go undrafted and make a team than get drafted and never make a team.

Who knows what is happening in these kids personal lives, I hate Michigan but can't rip a kid for making a decision that made him $400,000 out of school.

Belein has done a job with this squad. Wow.

It is amazing what having a point guard who can finish at the rim and a couple of legitimate outside shooters can do for a basketball team.

Chad Ford (the espn draft "guru") said he hopes Morris comes back next year and has the potential to be a lottery pick next year.

I don't get ripping on Manny Harris for leaving early and "barely making) an NBA team where he averages 6 pts a game. Yeah he didn't get drafted, but give the kid credit for making a team. I'd rather go undrafted and make a team than get drafted and never make a team.

Who knows what is happening in these kids personal lives, I hate Michigan but can't rip a kid for making a decision that made him $400,000 out of school.
I was more ripping him for not coming out after his sophomore year....he would have been an early 2nd round pick I think.

It is amazing what having a point guard who can finish at the rim and a couple of legitimate outside shooters can do for a basketball team.

Yeah, add those elements to an offense that has movement and ball reversal and you will do fine. Beilein had this group looking very similar to the West Virginia squads he went on runs with. The only thing they lacked was a Pittsnogle type.

Great look for a last shot. If those guys all stick around they will be tough next year.

With all else being equal:
Good Backcourt > Good Frontcourt

Two years ago, Michigan had Harris and Sims. They played well in March and everybody said the same thing, "they'll be huge next year". Last year, they didn't even make the NIT. Nothing is for sure in today's world. Our team was supposed to go to final4 three months back.

Go Gophers

It's a good thing they ran the table and didn't get selected for the Tournament.

Morris

Morris at 6'4" 190 and being a point guard is a high comodity. He isn't as fast but is stonger than John Wall, similar sized players. Morris isn't as athletic. Morris has better prospects than Manny as he wasn't a true point guard and had a slight build.

Put Trevor on this Michigan team to rebound and you have a final four team. They have 3 great perimeter players with Morris, Hardaway, and Novak. They have role players and pf morgan the freshman is improving. They will be good next year.

I am admittedly someone who thinks Beilein is a very good coach and will have success at Michigan. For Gophers fans, this isn't good news.

While he has had a couple of bad years at Michigan, I will point out that he now has two more NCAA tournament victories and the same number of NCAA tournament appearnaces as one Orlando Tubby Smith since both were hired at their respective schools in the spring of 2007.

I am admittedly someone who thinks Beilein is a very good coach and will have success at Michigan. For Gophers fans, this isn't good news.

While he has had a couple of bad years at Michigan, I will point out that he now has two more NCAA tournament victories and the same number of NCAA tournament appearnaces as one Orlando Tubby Smith since both were hired at their respective schools in the spring of 2007.

I wish that I could understand what you would like to get out of these posts. Do you want Tubby gone or what? There are many teams who have not delivered lately. Do you think that Pitino was hired at UL to be paid this much to be exited this early in March. Same with UCLA and their coach. Things like this happen. Stop comparing Apples with Oranges and be a loyal fan. How would you feel if your boss contiously compared you with your coworkers? Tubby is a great coach and will deliver.

Go Gophers

Relatively speaking in terms of expectation, some coaches do more with less. But, when they have more, they can underachieve expectation-wise. Coaches who run strict systems can be subject to such syndrome, I think. I hope Beilein is not one of them. Nevertheless, I suspect that Michigan may need someone else to enrich the program further once Beilein builds it back up because Michigan is capable of recruiting high caliber players on a consistent basis once it stands on its feet.

I wish that I could understand what you would like to get out of these posts. Do you want Tubby gone or what? There are many teams who have not delivered lately. Do you think that Pitino was hired at UL to be paid this much to be exited this early in March. Same with UCLA and their coach. Things like this happen. Stop comparing Apples with Oranges and be a loyal fan. How would you feel if your boss contiously compared you with your coworkers? Tubby is a great coach and will deliver.

Go Gophers

Pitino and Howland have both taken their current schools to the Final Four (Howland twice). Tubby's resume at Minnesota is NOTHING like theirs.

Two years ago, Michigan had Harris and Sims. They played well in March and everybody said the same thing, "they'll be huge next year". Last year, they didn't even make the NIT. Nothing is for sure in today's world. Our team was supposed to go to final4 three months back.

Go Gophers

Pretty much this. The future looks bright for Michigan though, I think they will be good going forward. BUT, there is something to be said for a team going from the hunter to the prey. When expectations are low, especially for a young team, and they definitely lowered them with that horrible BT start, it can be easier to go on a run. But when you come into the fall, with expectations high, the lights more intense, etc., sometimes things don't work out like you expect. Suddenly teams are far more aware of your presence, they get up for you more, stuff like that. But all that said, I do think they'll be pretty good next year and not fun to deal with.

Very impressive today. I wish the wide-open 3- jumper from the wing, was the shot of that last split-second choice. Would have defeated Duke by 1. Great game.

I agree. Not that Michigan is UTSA or anything, but I think when you are a severe underdog in that situation you go for the win. How often do we see the underdog tie it in these situations and then lose by 10 in OT?

The-Real-Truth,

I don't believe that Tubby should be fired. But I also don't think that he has done a great job since arriving at Minnesota, with this season being extremely poor. There is zero reason why this Gophers team had to slide the way that it did and some of that is certainly on the coaching staff.

My biggest concern has been and continues to be his inability to stabilize things at PG. I'm also not thrilled with his disinterest in offense.

I think Tubby is a very good coach, but his performance since losing to Michigan State in the 2005 Regional Final is baffling. A "great" coach doesn't go a combined four games under .500 in conference play over a six-year stretch.

Top Bottom