Michigan State SB Nation: 2023 Opponent Outlook: Why We Will Beat Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Oren:

Halloween weekend brings MSU and its 7-0 record to the Twin Cities for a matchup against Minnesota. On the subject of putting on a costume, let’s get straight to some history on the mascot of this opponent. Minnesota earned the nickname the Gopher State when a famous political cartoon from the 1850s portrayed local railroad barons as gophers. Eventually, the university’s team name became the Gophers. In 1934, the football coach, Bernie Bierman, had the uniforms changed to a gold color so that the football would blend into it (I guess footballs were gold back then?). In other words, the coach wanted to rely on optical illusions and trickery to beat their opponents. Apparently it worked because Coach Bierman won five national championships while coaching the team now known as the Golden Gophers. Maybe this was the origin of the trick play.

Let’s fast forward close to 90 years and we have seen trick plays in college football evolve into a frequent occurrence and something that can help define coaching careers (i.e. Little Giants). In his second year coaching the Spartans, we saw Coach Tucker’s offense regularly resort to the Thorne-to-Walker-to Thorne-to-wide-open-WR flea-flicker for great results. So I say this game, the 49th all-time meeting between MSU and Minnesota on the gridiron, will be jam-packed with trickeration, and I was inspired to write a little poem about it.

Okay, maybe I’m not Shel Silverstein or Dr. Seuss, but the point remains. Mel Tucker is going to remember something from the 2021 season. After defeating um to preserve their perfect record, MSU went down to Purdue and was absolutely devoid of energy in losing for the first time that season. Wary of experiencing deja vu, Tucker and his coordinators demise several trick plays to keep the players’ intensity levels up. And it works! The Spartans move their record to 8-0 as they head into the final third of the season. And with that victory, all the students back in East Lansing are going to have an even better Halloween weekend.

Go Gophers!!

"Halloween weekend brings MSU and its 7-0 record to the Twin Cities for a matchup against Minnesota. On the subject of putting on a costume, let’s get straight to some history on the mascot of this opponent. Minnesota earned the nickname the Gopher State when a famous political cartoon from the 1850s portrayed local railroad barons as gophers. Eventually, the university’s team name became the Gophers. In 1934, the football coach, Bernie Bierman, had the uniforms changed to a gold color so that the football would blend into it (I guess footballs were gold back then?). In other words, the coach wanted to rely on optical illusions and trickery to beat their opponents. Apparently it worked because Coach Bierman won five national championships while coaching the team now known as the Golden Gophers. Maybe this was the origin of the trick play."

We'll see more of this
Nice video. Thanks. I remember that game thinking Dylin Wright has got his shit together and will now be the next Randy Moss. Well, not quite that good, but still good. I wish he could have been something special at the U. But, not to be.

I hope the U paramedics have extra IV bags ready to rehydrate Sweatin' Mel T!

I would not trade schedules with MSU.

Action Network's Stuckey says the best preseason bet in the Big Ten is taking the under of Sparty at 5.5 reg season wins:

Michigan State Spartans​

Under 5.5 Wins (-155)
I'm not really sure where this program is headed, but it doesn't seem to be headed in the right direction under Mel Tucker.

Not only did the Spartans lose starting quarterback Payton Thorne (recently named the starter at Auburn) and top returning wideout Keon Coleman (now at Florida State) in the spring, but they also lost wideout Jayden Reed to the NFL (Packers, second round) and their top two defensive backs, including one who also got selected in the NFL Draft.

The running back room looks like a strength, but it might be tough sledding on the ground without much threat of a downfield passing attack.

Yes, the offensive line returns plenty of experience, but I'm not sure how much we can expect that unit to improve after failing to really generate any push in 2022.

Maybe the defense is due for some positive regression after the injuries and suspensions last season in addition to a lack of takeaways, but it's hard to imagine this secondary having a productive season.

Additionally, the special teams could turn out disastrous, which may cost the Spartans a close game or two. They must find a new kicker and lost their excellent punter to the NFL in addition to Reed's elite returning ability.

Lastly, look at the schedule! It's one of the hardest in the country. They should start out 2-0 — although we've seen Sparty trip up in East Lansing against Central Michigan before — but then have a very tough nonconference matchup with Washington before Big Ten play commences.

Out of the West, they drew Nebraska, plus road games against Minnesota and Iowa. That's brutal.

And as always, they have the trio of East powerhouses on their schedule in Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State with the latter coming in Detroit, which means they have only three true Big Ten home games.

Plus, they have to face two of their easiest league opponents — Indiana and Rutgers — on the road with the Hoosiers matchup sandwiched in between Ohio State and Penn State. There's just nothing to like about this schedule.

I just can't see this team getting to bowl eligibility

They are counting on the NIL chicks before they hatched.

Last years game was pitch and catch for mn. I expect the same this year.

Top Bottom