Michigan State @ Minnesota (2/19-2/20)

bonin21

Reaction score
Friday 7PM FSN Plus
Saturday 5PM FSN

Must sweep. That's all the analysis needed. MSU is bad.

Should be pretty straightforward.

But the word "should" is a dangerous one in sports.

I guess we'll see.

Gophers win 4-2.

badgers come back from down 2-0 and are leading Notre Dame 3-2 late in the third.

The Gophers probability of winning the regular season title actually goes down if that result holds because uw wins the first of their two remaining challenging games, with the Gophers having two even more challenging games remaining (against UM).

Gophers clearly have the capability of closing this season out. ND can win on Saturday if they don't tonight.

Wisco erasing a 2-0 deficit last night hurt.
agreed. control their destiny but having extra space would help. If they play the B10 tournament minus PSU and have 2 byes, guess it won't really matter either way as they're finishing top 2 regardless. The one seed in the NCAA tournament will probably go to whoever wins the B10 tournament between WI and MN if they're both winning out or winning most games

MSU is pathetic. 4-0 after one.

uw on their way to a sweep over Notre Dame thanks to Hobey Caufield. They will now be favorites for the title because they play two pathetic teams and the Gophers play star-studded but inconsistent Michigan.

Wisconsin ties it with 27 seconds left.

Fucking unbelieveable.

uw games end in a "tie", with ND getting the extra point.
Many are saying the Big Ten will use win percentage, so that would be a tie.

uw games end in a "tie", with ND getting the extra point.
Many are saying the Big Ten will use win percentage, so that would be a tie.

That doesn't help as much as point % then.

Not terrible, but we really needed ND to hold on in regulation.

That doesn't help as much as point % then.

Not terrible, but we really needed ND to hold on in regulation.
Others are now saying point percentage... Which I think is better.

Really we're all waiting for the Big Ten to officially announce the plan.

Didn't see either game.

With that said, it might be an unpopular opinion, but I really don't care about the Big 10 title.

Just want the guys to be playing well heading into the NCAAs. From there, I'll let the chips fall where they may.

Didn't see either game.

With that said, it might be an unpopular opinion, but I really don't care about the Big 10 title.

Just want the guys to be playing well heading into the NCAAs. From there, I'll let the chips fall where they may.
I could see feeling like this. My interest is a lot higher given the race is against our biggest rival. And a regular season title is still something you hang a banner for and can be proud of. I value regular season titles more than conference tournament titles.

But yes, the big one matters WAY more. UND and BC are rolling through the competition and I'm thinking the path to the title for the Gophers might go through GF against the home team. That won't be easy.

I could see feeling like this. My interest is a lot higher given the race is against our biggest rival. And a regular season title is still something you hang a banner for and can be proud of. I value regular season titles more than conference tournament titles.

But yes, the big one matters WAY more. UND and BC are rolling through the competition and I'm thinking the path to the title for the Gophers might go through GF against the home team. That won't be easy.
Agreed. I'm just one of those guys who tends to look at the bigger picture. With that said, I totally understand those who are focusing in on a conference title. It's certainly worth the effort to win it and it'll be interesting to see where the guys ultimately end up.

I'm simply looking at the macro vs the micro. :)

Last edited:

I agree that I really hope we can stay out of the Fargo regional if possible. Would much rather end up with Kato or even BC. Would think either us or WI will grab the last one seed and will likely be based on who wins the BTT which would avoid all those scenarios.

I agree that I really hope we can stay out of the Fargo regional if possible. Would much rather end up with Kato or even BC. Would think either us or WI will grab the last one seed and will likely be based on who wins the BTT which would avoid all those scenarios.
I see your point from the perspective of the best path to the frozen four --- but I sure would love to get a crack at North Dakota to get the taste of last year drubbing out of my and the teams mouth.

It's looking somewhat unlikely the Gophers have to go to Fargo. UND and BC look like clear number 1 and 2 seeds and I'm not sure the Gophers will fall around 7-8 unless they collapse. They generally try to keep some form of bracket integrity.

I could see two of UMN/uw/Mankato sent to the Colorado regional (like 4 and 5 seeds), and the other of the three sent out east. Let SCSU or UMD have a battle with UND in Fargo.

Top Bottom