Michigan revisited

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Tattooed Millionaire
Reaction score
Finally had the time (and the stomach) to watch the Michigan game again last night. You wouldn't know it from reading the board but what I saw was a pretty competitive game, with a few major turning points.

> Giving Michigan a 35-38 yard field to work with on their first possession, after Leidner's fumble, and that's been beaten to death.

> Marcus Jones, yet AGAIN, failing to field a punt late in the first half; game tied, he lets the ball land around the 15 yd line, it rolls inside the ONE. I've been harping for over a month on this, that he would at some point cost the Gophers MAJOR field position and this was arguably the turning point in the game. Gophers punt, Mich gets it on the Gophers 35-38 or so, and score right before half.

He catches that punt and falls forward to the 20 yd line, and the Gophers very likely run out the first half, score to take a halftime lead, or at worst, punt the ball back to Michigan probably somewhere around their own 30. That was just an absolute back breaker. I'm just absolutely amazed that this continues to happen.

> On a lesser note, Michigan starts the second half, drives down and scores; the Gophers respond with a VERY impressive drive of their own, advancing inside the Mich 25; First down, Leidner runs for 7-8 setting up a short second down; on 2nd down, he scrambles, eludes the rush, heads for the sidelines, and instead of throwing it away, takes the ball with him out of bounds, essentially a sack for a loss of 5 instead of an incomplete pass; then a 5-yd penalty for delay (or offsides?); all of the sudden 2nd and 2-3 becomes 3rd and 12, all this while being on the brink of FG position. Gophers complete a nice pass for 8-9 yards on 3rd down, and then kick a FG.

Horrible mistake on Leidner's part, magnified by the penalty. Drive killer.

Watching the game again, I was amazed at how many times Gardner completed passes BECAUSE of how inaccurate he was. Many of those completions, with an accurate pass, the Gopher coverage was right there and they make a play; but Gardner was so far off, and yes, the DB's were rarely looking for the ball, Mich receiver makes a circus catch for a completion.

I also didn't realize while watching the game live just how often OT Taylor Lewan (a seemingly lock for the first round next April) was flip flopping on the line to come out with unbalanced lines. On more than half of the plays, Lewan was on one side at essentially a TE spot, and on the other side it was just OG-TE. I wonder how much of that was on tape before Saturday and how much was put in during the bye week for Michigan because of crappy O-Line play?

On replay, this was a pretty solid showing from the Gophers. They did a lot of things well, IMO. I think Northwestern will be a good, good game. Gophers will move the ball, not a doubt in my mind, it's just how well they can stop the Cats. This is an opportunity to steal one.

Good post. I re-watched the game as well and agree with everything you said. Another play that others have already brought up was Leidner missing Jones in the 4th quarter. Despite everything that happened before that play, if we complete that and score it's a one score game and we're right back in it. A lot of good things happened in that game and I expect the team to build off it and play well the rest of the season. I still think we can win 2+ games.

Thanks for pointing out the continuing Marcus Jones issue Ogee. I couldn't remember who had been harping on it and warning that it was going to cost us. That was the turning point in my mind as well - if we start with space to work with there I think we go into half at least up 10-7

Jones did make a mistake there by not catching the punt, but then again he made up for it later in the game with the big return, which shows he has heart. He will break another return TD before the year is done so don't be too hard on him. Here's to hoping he learns to start making more fair catches near our goal line.

Jones did make a mistake there by not catching the punt, but then again he made up for it later in the game with the big return, which shows he has heart. He will break another return TD before the year is done so don't be too hard on him. Here's to hoping he learns to start making more fair catches near our goal line.

It is a shame the staff has not been able to identify a better option for Punt returns. Jones does not look comfortable on those at all. He looks great on Kickoffs and is a legit threat to bust one every time he gets it. Lots of teams have different returners because the situations are so different, would be nice to see someone else get a crack at punt returns, someone who has the confidence to go catch it everytime even if there is no hope for a return.

I agree, and it's why I would feel terribly if Kill can't get to years 4-5 and be be judged by W/L and not be forced out by his condition. It is frustrating, but we are getting better. I'd love to see us with lines full of JR/Sr's, Nelson, Leidner (don't discount Streveler), Williams, Jones, Wolitarisky, Edwards, Pirsig, Hayes, Lauer, Campbell, Murray, Ekpe's, etc. playing as Juniors and Seniors, not Freshman.

I hope Kill can figure it out and keep this thing together so we can see that, whatever the result would be. I'm not sure he will get that, but Kill sure as hell deserves that chance.

Am I the only one who has noticed that Kirkwood's role in the team this year has fallen significantly? I understand he was injured but he's back now so is he still not 100% or have Cobb & Williams taken over?

We now have three pretty good backs, and one with speed redshirting, so they have to shine when they get their turn.

Am I the only one who has noticed that Kirkwood's role in the team this year has fallen significantly? I understand he was injured but he's back now so is he still not 100% or have Cobb & Williams taken over?

Funny you say that. A question I've pondered: If you could have one back healthy and take all snaps for a Gopher game, who would you choose: Cobb, Williams or Kirkwood? I realize my question is implausible, but thinking in those terms, who would you take (Edwards/Jones can't be the answer)?

I'd take Williams.

Funny you say that. A question I've pondered: If you could have one back healthy and take all snaps for a Gopher game, who would you choose: Cobb, Williams or Kirkwood? I realize my question is implausible, but thinking in those terms, who would you take (Edwards/Jones can't be the answer)?

I'd take Williams.

Seems Williams & Kirkwood are nearly the same type of RB whereas Cobb seems to rely more on cuts & use his vision but it has also cost him yards a few times...

I'd take Williams.

I'd take Kirkland. He's the best pass blocker of the bunch, and that carries a lot of weight with this staff, as it should.

Thanks for pointing out the continuing Marcus Jones issue Ogee. I couldn't remember who had been harping on it and warning that it was going to cost us. That was the turning point in my mind as well - if we start with space to work with there I think we go into half at least up 10-7

I agree. They could have easily had the lead or at least be tied at half.

The point of the thread was not to be just another "it wasn't as bad as it looked", venting. Being a HUGE believer in momentum and "the flow of the game", this game literally hinged on a few plays. They moved the ball very effectively against a fairly stout defense and they held in check a handful of players who crushed them last year, like Gallon and Gardner.

I'm looking forward to the second half of the season. There are winnable games left on the schedule, as much as it pains some folks to hear.

Finally had the time (and the stomach) to watch the Michigan game again last night. You wouldn't know it from reading the board but what I saw was a pretty competitive game, with a few major turning points.

> Giving Michigan a 35-38 yard field to work with on their first possession, after Leidner's fumble, and that's been beaten to death.

> Marcus Jones, yet AGAIN, failing to field a punt late in the first half; game tied, he lets the ball land around the 15 yd line, it rolls inside the ONE. I've been harping for over a month on this, that he would at some point cost the Gophers MAJOR field position and this was arguably the turning point in the game. Gophers punt, Mich gets it on the Gophers 35-38 or so, and score right before half.

He catches that punt and falls forward to the 20 yd line, and the Gophers very likely run out the first half, score to take a halftime lead, or at worst, punt the ball back to Michigan probably somewhere around their own 30. That was just an absolute back breaker. I'm just absolutely amazed that this continues to happen.

> On a lesser note, Michigan starts the second half, drives down and scores; the Gophers respond with a VERY impressive drive of their own, advancing inside the Mich 25; First down, Leidner runs for 7-8 setting up a short second down; on 2nd down, he scrambles, eludes the rush, heads for the sidelines, and instead of throwing it away, takes the ball with him out of bounds, essentially a sack for a loss of 5 instead of an incomplete pass; then a 5-yd penalty for delay (or offsides?); all of the sudden 2nd and 2-3 becomes 3rd and 12, all this while being on the brink of FG position. Gophers complete a nice pass for 8-9 yards on 3rd down, and then kick a FG.

Horrible mistake on Leidner's part, magnified by the penalty. Drive killer.

Watching the game again, I was amazed at how many times Gardner completed passes BECAUSE of how inaccurate he was. Many of those completions, with an accurate pass, the Gopher coverage was right there and they make a play; but Gardner was so far off, and yes, the DB's were rarely looking for the ball, Mich receiver makes a circus catch for a completion.

I also didn't realize while watching the game live just how often OT Taylor Lewan (a seemingly lock for the first round next April) was flip flopping on the line to come out with unbalanced lines. On more than half of the plays, Lewan was on one side at essentially a TE spot, and on the other side it was just OG-TE. I wonder how much of that was on tape before Saturday and how much was put in during the bye week for Michigan because of crappy O-Line play?

On replay, this was a pretty solid showing from the Gophers. They did a lot of things well, IMO. I think Northwestern will be a good, good game. Gophers will move the ball, not a doubt in my mind, it's just how well they can stop the Cats. This is an opportunity to steal one.

The inability of Michigan's QB to throw the ball accurately allowed his WRs to make plays on the ball. If the ball had been thrown with more accuracy the Gopher's DBs would have been in position to make a play. You did point out that the Gopher's DBs were rarely looking for the ball but that is not the reason they didn't make a play on the ball the reason for that is Michigan's QB inaccurate throws.

That is quite the unique take.

I was screaming at the tv when Leidner nonchalantly ran out if bounds taking the loss when he easily could have dumped it out of bounds.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you're making your second start as a redshirt freshman. Hopefully it's another learning experience and it won't happen again, along with the pick 6 at the end.

Overall I was impressed with the progress he made from SJSU and expect that to continue.

I thought the same thing about the game not being as bad as I thought at first. The one thing that stood out to me was our size and athleticism. Two years ago we looked like boys compared to UM, this year I thought we visually looked the part, like real athletes.

It appears our db's are coached not to look for the ball. If you watch almost any pass play, the db's don't take their eyes off the receiver, then when the ball comes they try to knock it out of the reciever's hands. I've never seen it before, and it seems like it used to be almost an automatic penalty when the db didn't turn his head to look for the ball. Not saying its good or bad, just different.

It appears our db's are coached not to look for the ball. If you watch almost any pass play, the db's don't take their eyes off the receiver, then when the ball comes they try to knock it out of the reciever's hands. I've never seen it before, and it seems like it used to be almost an automatic penalty when the db didn't turn his head to look for the ball. Not saying its good or bad, just different.

I would say its bad. How many plays this year have we had where there was a ball that a defender was in great position to make a play on (maybe an interception with the focus this thread has on momentum) and instead turns into a big gain for the offense because it slips right by our back?

Top Bottom