Michigan Restrictig Spike Albricht's Grad Transfer

scher215

Reaction score
Not allowing him to potentially transfer to a B1G school. Which is interesting because of, as the article points out, who Michigan's quarterback was last year :)

All while Beilien told him he didn't have a scholarship this year and he wouldn't play. So UM doesn't want him and yet is restricting his release.

http://yhoo.it/22RzMmh

At Michigan, guard Spike Albrecht is completing his undergraduate degree this semester. On Monday he announced his intention to transfer elsewhere and play immediately as a graduate transfer. Part of the reason for this is the fact that Albrecht has been recruited over – there would be no room for him at Michigan as a fifth-year player, something coach John Beilein made clear months ago, before Albrecht redshirted this season to have double hip surgery.

Not allowing him to potentially transfer to a B1G school. Which is interesting because of, as the article points out, who Michigan's quarterback was last year :)

All while Beilien told him he didn't have a scholarship this year and he wouldn't play. So UM doesn't want him and yet is restricting his release.

http://yhoo.it/22RzMmh

At Michigan, guard Spike Albrecht is completing his undergraduate degree this semester. On Monday he announced his intention to transfer elsewhere and play immediately as a graduate transfer. Part of the reason for this is the fact that Albrecht has been recruited over – there would be no room for him at Michigan as a fifth-year player, something coach John Beilein made clear months ago, before Albrecht redshirted this season to have double hip surgery.
Can't think of his name, but a pretty decent player transferred from Michigan and had a pretty good year for IU. I'm sure they don't want to get burned twice

Can't think of his name, but a pretty decent player transferred from Michigan and had a pretty good year for IU. I'm sure they don't want to get burned twice

That is correct. And it is mentioned in the article.

However, if Michigan thinks Spike Albricht is going to be a stud next year. Maybe they should play him? Instead of telling him they are full and he should move on.

Michigan also beat Indiana in the BTT and lost to them the one time they played during the regular season.

if he waits till they fill his slot, can they restrict him?

Putting restrictions on a grad transfer is just asinine petty vindictiveness-especially considering Bielien lost a similar Michigan appeal last year.

That is correct. And it is mentioned in the article.

However, if Michigan thinks Spike Albricht is going to be a stud next year. Maybe they should play him? Instead of telling him they are full and he should move on.

Michigan also beat Indiana in the BTT and lost to them the one time they played during the regular season.

Yeah, they should not have anymore influence over the process. They are already releasing him (via non renewal of scholarship).

Michigan should have to have extended the scholarship to engage in this behavior.

Moreover, Beilien's defense of his own practice is weak. Kid's options are limited far further than the 351 he contests.... How many universities have grad programs that Michigan does not offer?

I wouldn't want him going in conference either if I was the coach. What is the big deal? Go to a new part of the country for a free year.

I wouldn't want him going in conference either if I was the coach. What is the big deal? Go to a new part of the country for a free year.

Well what Beilien wants and what's best for the kid are two different things. Why the heck does a coach, who doesn't want the kid on his team, care where we goes?

Well what Beilien wants and what's best for the kid are two different things. Why the heck does a coach, who doesn't want the kid on his team, care where we goes?

Agreed. Seems like a major difference if he is not being offered a scholarship versus jumping ship. I understand the coach's perspective but when he told him he would not be welcomed back, I think he gave away any influence he had on the transfer.

I heard on Mike & Mike this morning it is a B1G rule that you must sit out a year if transferring in conference. Although, a kid did transfer from Michigan to Indiana and fought the rule and won.

I heard on Mike & Mike this morning it is a B1G rule that you must sit out a year if transferring in conference. Although, a kid did transfer from Michigan to Indiana and fought the rule and won.

Are the rules different for football vs basketball? Jake Ruddock was able to play immediately after transferring from Iowa to Michigan.

To be clear, the B1G rule does not apply if the player receives a full release from the school. Beilien is being a jackass. Iowa, in Ruddock's case, provided a full release. The mentioned successful appeal was to a University board independent from the athletic department.

Whether we should have these silly transfer rules is a separate question. I'm especially annoyed by requiring B1G intra-conference transfers to not only sit out a year; but also to lose a year of eligibility.

What do you mean? A team restricting a grad transfer that they don't even want is entirely different than the Uthoff situation.

Only if you care any further than the fact that a kid should be able to transfer wherever the hell he wants. If you stop at that point, it's the EXACT same thing.

The stink of Bo Ryan lives on.

Bo's problem with the Uthoff transfer was the stench of tampering by the Iowa staff. Uthoff sent word through his former AAU coach that he would be transferring and Bo wanted Uthoff to man up and say it in person to the coaches that had spent a year working with him. And then he got ripped by the national media for enforcing a Big Ten rule.

Bo's problem with the Uthoff transfer was the stench of tampering by the Iowa staff. Uthoff sent word through his former AAU coach that he would be transferring and Bo wanted Uthoff to man up and say it in person to the coaches that had spent a year working with him. And then he got ripped by the national media for enforcing a Big Ten rule.

He also prohibited Uthoff from contacting Iowa State, Marquette, Florida and every ACC school (the latter was done without the knowledge of his boss), which is a ridiculously wide net of prohibition. It was highly punitive, and completely Bo.

He also prohibited Uthoff from contacting Iowa State, Marquette, Florida and every ACC school (the latter was done without the knowledge of his boss), which is a ridiculously wide net of prohibition. It was highly punitive, and completely Bo.

No one should be denied going home if that's what they want to do. Bo was over the top. I think Belien is besmerching his own good reputation by doing this to Spike as well. Spike will help a team somewhere, but he is not a difference maker and Michigan doesn't want him anyway.

Only if you care any further than the fact that a kid should be able to transfer wherever the hell he wants. If you stop at that point, it's the EXACT same thing.

The main reason Bo was pissed at Uthoff is that Jared wasn't man enough to talk to Bo or any of the coaches in person and sent his girlfriend to deliver the message. This after practicing with the team for a whole year.

http://btn.com/2016/05/03/albrecht-to-purdue-take-a-look-at-other-big-ten-to-big-ten-transfers/

Tom Dienhart puts together a list of men's basketball and football Big Ten to Big Ten transfers:

Transfers have become ubiquitous in college sports in recent years, especially in basketball. And, it’s not uncommon to see players switch schools within conferences.

In the Big Ten, a move within the league is punitive. Prior to 2011-12, a transfer within the league was unable to receive a scholarship and had to sit out a season. The rule was altered starting with the 2011-12 season. Now, an athlete can receive a scholarship but loses a year of eligibility in addition to sitting out a season.

The main reason Bo was pissed at Uthoff is that Jared wasn't man enough to talk to Bo or any of the coaches in person and sent his girlfriend to deliver the message. This after practicing with the team for a whole year.

That makes it so much better.

Bo the stand up guy, judging others that live up to his moral principals.

We all have faults. The kid was 19ish, likely embarrassed, and wanted to leave. Be the better man Bo.

That makes it so much better.

Bo the stand up guy, judging others that live up to his moral principals.

We all have faults. The kid was 19ish, likely embarrassed, and wanted to leave. Be the better man Bo.

I agree, Bo should have handled that situation differently. Uthoff is a complete tool for the way he handled it but he was 19, if he wanted to go, let him go.

Bo is no different than Riley Dearring. Both quit on the team in the middle of the season.

Bo is no different than Riley Dearring. Both quit on the team in the middle of the season.

But Bo had a plan and he did it because Gard's dad died....

OOOOOOR

The heat got really hot on his little affair and he ducked out of the limelight while he had a story and his team was playing like sh1t.

But Bo had a plan and he did it because Gard's dad died....

OOOOOOR

The heat got really hot on his little affair and he ducked out of the limelight while he had a story and his team was playing like sh1t.
Unfortunately it worked out for the best, I thought that team was going nowhere under Bo and something clicked when Gard took over

Top Bottom