Michigan is partying tonight!!!!!!!!!

Brew_recruit

Reaction score
THE OHIO STATE IS WINNING!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO, Now Michigan is going get so many better recruits. I bet their forums crashed with their excitement!

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

you probably don't understand, lots of fans on here were mad that BUCKY lost the rose bowl because they thought it would be good for us if they would of won.

Even worse when its rocked up. Don't smoke rocks Brew_recruit.

From the looks of things tOSU isn't going to be winning for much longer.

THE OHIO STATE IS WINNING!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO, Now Michigan is going get so many better recruits. I bet their forums crashed with their excitement!

Hahaha!! Great post, sir!!

I had this conversation with my wife last night who is a life long Arkansas fan. She said I should want the other Big Ten teams to always lose unless it helps the Gophers in the standings of the
B1G (yes she likes the new logo).

She says "why do you want recruits to see your rivals and competition win big games on national tv?" I had to play opposites so I went with the do you want to be the best of the best or the best of the worst conference?

I think she won.

She finishes with "Oregon better kick the crap out of Auburn."

Let's imagine a hypothetical paradise where all Big Ten teams lose their bowl games except Minnesota, and this continues indefinately. The prestige of the conference is lessened and recruits are less likely to want to want to play in the Big Ten. The Big Ten becomes less appealing to the bowls, and the Rose Bowl decides that they would rather have the annual matchup be between the PAC-12 and the MWC, instead of being between the PAC-12 and the Big Ten. If such a trend continued, the Big Ten would be passed up by what are now the non-BCS conferences.

In the long run, a strong Big Ten benefits the University of Minnesota. Of course who you want to win has no effect on the outcome of the game, so cheer for or against Big Ten teams in bowl games as you wish.

Let's imagine a hypothetical paradise where all Big Ten teams lose their bowl games except Minnesota, and this continues indefinately. The prestige of the conference is lessened and recruits are less likely to want to want to play in the Big Ten. The Big Ten becomes less appealing to the bowls, and the Rose Bowl decides that they would rather have the annual matchup be between the PAC-12 and the MWC, instead of being between the PAC-12 and the Big Ten. If such a trend continued, the Big Ten would be passed up by what are now the non-BCS conferences.

In the long run, a strong Big Ten benefits the University of Minnesota. Of course who you want to win has no effect on the outcome of the game, so cheer for or against Big Ten teams in bowl games as you wish.

None of that matters if WI continues to be successfull and out-recruit us so we never gain ground. What you're saying is we can either be crappy in a crappy conference or crappy in a great conference and you'd rather have the latter. I'm saying what does conference prestige matter if we're at the bottom of it? A strong B1G is good for MN, but a strong WI is worse for MN than a strong B1G is good for us. Plus I hate them, so it's pretty simple. I'll cheer for the other schools though.

None of that matters if WI continues to be successfull and out-recruit us so we never gain ground. What you're saying is we can either be crappy in a crappy conference or crappy in a great conference and you'd rather have the latter. I'm saying what does conference prestige matter if we're at the bottom of it? A strong B1G is good for MN, but a strong WI is worse for MN than a strong B1G is good for us. Plus I hate them, so it's pretty simple. I'll cheer for the other schools though.

I agree. We should want the B1G teams to always lose, but we know that will never happen. It all starts with us beating our rivals and builds from there.

I agree. We should want the B1G teams to always lose, but we know that will never happen. It all starts with us beating our rivals and builds from there.

Disagree. I think individually you want each team to lose, but looking at the ebb and flow of conferences over time there is no question that a rising tide lifts all boats.

Disagree. I think individually you want each team to lose, but looking at the ebb and flow of conferences over time there is no question that a rising tide lifts all boats.

There is a difference in wanting something to happen and it actually happening. It is impossible for the B1G to lose all games.

There is a difference in wanting something to happen and it actually happening. It is impossible for the B1G to lose all games.

Yes, but the stronger the BT does as a whole out of conference, the more cachet there is to being a BT Team. That can only help in recruiting against non-BT schools. At some point the individual school needs to be good to take advantage of the conference cachet.

Yes, but the stronger the BT does as a whole out of conference, the more cache there is to being a BT Team. That can only help in recruiting against non-BT schools. At some point the individual school needs to be good to take advantage of the conference cache.

I guess it all comes back to we should just worry about our team :)

I'll probably cheer for OSU,PSU, and Indiana to win all their conference games next year. That will only help us.

My take: I hate Wisc., Neb., and Iowa. This means I won't/can't root for them no matter what.

I dislike OSU, Mich., Penn St.. This means I try to root for them in the bowl games, but my heart takes over and I simply can't.

I am annoyed by Mich. St., Purdue, and Ill. This means I can usually muster some positive vibes for them in a bowl game.

I don't mind Northwestern. This means I will root for them in a bowl game while being jealous of them the entire time.

Indiana...Who cares!

My take: I hate Wisc., Neb., and Iowa. This means I won't/can't root for them no matter what.

I dislike OSU, Mich., Penn St.. This means I try to root for them in the bowl games, but my heart takes over and I simply can't.

I am annoyed by Mich. St., Purdue, and Ill. This means I can usually muster some positive vibes for them in a bowl game.

I don't mind Northwestern. This means I will root for them in a bowl game while being jealous of them the entire time.

Indiana...Who cares!

I like this.

Hate Division= Ohio State, Wisconsin

Annoying Division= Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, Illinois

Don't Mind Division= Michigan State, Purdue, Northwestern

Who Cares Division= Indiana

I despise Notre Dame so much, I don't have any bile left for any other college football team.

Yes, but the stronger the BT does as a whole out of conference, the more cache there is to being a BT Team. That can only help in recruiting against non-BT schools. At some point the individual school needs to be good to take advantage of the conference cache.

I don't understand what the data stored on the conference's computers so employees can faster access URLs in the future has to do with the conversation.

Or were you talking about the trove where the conference keeps its valuable treasures?

Either way, I don't see the relevance.

I like this.

Hate Division= Ohio State, Wisconsin

Annoying Division= Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, Illinois

Don't Mind Division= Michigan State, Purdue, Northwestern

Who Cares Division= Indiana

How can you not have Iowa in the Hate Division?

Here is what every true gopher fan should say. Cheer for every big ten team in bowl games unless they are Wisconsin. Iowa is iffy but I don't remember being that pissed last year when they won the orange bowl but that might of only been because i was in Colorado at the time.

I don't understand what the data stored on the conference's computers so employees can faster access URLs in the future has to do with the conversation.

Or were you talking about the trove where the conference keeps its valuable treasures?

Either way, I don't see the relevance.

Fixed my post, you must be proud of yourself.

Yes, but the stronger the BT does as a whole out of conference, the more cachet there is to being a BT Team. That can only help in recruiting against non-BT schools. At some point the individual school needs to be good to take advantage of the conference cachet.

The whole recruiting being tied to bowls is bogus IMO. Here's the history of Big Ten recruiting (according to Rivals.com) since 2002 when Ohio State was the National Champ and the Big Ten went 5-2 in bowls. Sorry I can only reference the Top 50 recruiting classes but that is all that they archive, but all the same, I think they show the lack of bowl impact.

2002 Big Ten

Prev Season Bowl Bowl Record: 2-4
Big Ten teams with Top 50 classes: 7
Recruiting ratings:
OSU-5
Mich-16
PSU-21
MSU-32
Purdue-38
Illinois-41
Wisc-50

2002 Commentary: 7 teams coming off a rough 2001 season.

2003 Big Ten

Prev Season Bowl Record: 5-2
Recruiting ratings:
Mich-17
Illinois-30
Purdue-31
Minnesota-37
Wisc-40
OSU-41
Iowa-43

2003 Commentary: Great Season in bowls with 7 Top 50 programs. OSU ranked low due to a small class of 16. They had an average player rating that would put them amongst the Top 10 in quality.

2004 Big Ten:

Prev Season Bowl Record: 3-5
Big Ten Teams with Top 50 classes: 8
Recruiting rankings:
Mich-5
OSU-9
PSU-14
MSU-16
Purdue-20
Iowa-38
Wisc-39
Illinois-50

2004 Commentary: Poor showing in 2003 didn't impact rankings as 2 teams still placed top 10.

2005 Big Ten

Prev Season Bowl Record: 3-3
Recruiting Rankings:
Mich-6
Iowa-11
OSU-12
PSU-25
Purdue-29
Wisc-33
MSU-35

2005 Commentary: 2 average bowl seasons in succession don't seem to impact recruiting. 7 teams in Top 35.

2006 Big Ten

Prev Season Bowl Record: 3-4
Big Ten Teams with Top 50 classes: 8
Recruiting Rankings:
PSU-6
OSU-12
Mich-13
Ill-30
MSU-33
Iowa-39
Wisc-40
Purdue-50

2006 Commentary: Third poor to average bowl season followed by a good recruiting season. 7 teams in Top 40.

2007 Big Ten

Prev Season Bowl Record: 2-5
Big Ten Teams with Top 50 classes: 7
Recruiting Rankings:
Mich-12
OSU-15
Illinois-20
PSU-24
Iowa-28
Wisc-34
MSU-42

2007 Commentary: Terrible bowl season then previous year. Still 7 teams in the Top 50. OSU hurt again by small class size at 15. Avg stars for them would again place them Top 5.

2008 Big Ten

Teams with Top 50 Classes: 7
Recruiting Rankings:
OSU-4
Mich-10
Minnesota- 17 :eek:
Illinois-23
Wisc-41
PSU-43
MSU-47

2008 Commentary: The song remains the same, 7 plus teams in league with Top 50 classes.

2009 Big Ten

Prev Season Bowl Record: 1-6
Teams with top 50 classes: 7
Recruiting Rankings:
OSU-3
Mich-8
MSU-17
PSU-24
Illinois-35
Minnesota-39
Wisc- 43

2009 Commentary: Horrible previous season bowls don't seem to hurt teams recruiting with 7 Top 50's and 2 Top 10s.

2010 Big Ten

Prev Season Bowl Record: 4-3
Teams with Top 50 Classes: 5
Recruiting Rankings:
PSU-12
Mich-20
OSU-25
MSU-30
Iowa-42

2010 Commentary: Oddly, the Big Ten suffers a down recruiting year following its first winning bowl season since 2002. This runs counter to the arguments made regarding the benefits of a good bowl season. Is it an anomoly or a trend?

2011 Big Ten (as of today)

Teams with Top 50 classes (as of today): 8
Recruiting Rankings (as of today):
OSU-8
Iowa-25
Wisc-34
MSU-36
Mich-37
Minnesota-40
Illinois-45
Indiana-50

2011 Commentary: While it is early, it appears we are going to be back to a 7-8 team Top 50 class range. I would expect us and IU to possibly drop and PSU to emerge somewhere.

Overall Commentary: I fail to see a connection between rankings and bowl performance for Big Ten teams. The number of Top 50 classes has remained stagnant through great, good, average and poor bowl seasons. The anomaly year happened to follow the best bowl season in several years. If someone wants to break this down or trend analyze this further have at it, I'm too tired to do it. After looking at this- my suggestion for everyone is this: cheer for who you want, cheer against who you want. Worry less about Mark May and Tony Barnhart's impact on kids minds. It doesn't appear to be influencing kids one way or another. If some of the "OH GOD, YOU HAVE TO CHEER FOR WISCONSIN SO MARK MAY LOVES US AND PRAISES THE BIG TEN!!!!" crowd has data to prove the negative impact on recruiting, I'll be glad to acknowledge it and join Gordon Gee for a nice meal of crow. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone needs to get wound up and worry that the talking heads on Gameday are impacting kids decisions (at least in a way that negatively impacts our recruiting). The fact is that the Paul Finebaum loving SEC fans will never give the Big Ten any respect even if we run the table against their teams by 40+ point margins and win the NC game by 70. They will always have some excuse- I've heard that the Big Ten had a great 2002 bowl season because Kentucky's TE was injured, that SEC teams face the challenge of having too many fans close by creating extra bowl pressure Big Ten teams don't face, that Miami was screwed by cold weather in ORLANDO against Bucky-- etc... Quit getting your validation as a fan through other programs and hoping for acceptance by some guy from Georgia who names his kid Uga and spends his non-SEC web time watching Dukes of Hazzard reruns and complaining about the Yankee agression of 1861. //end rant.

Links:

http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2010/12/15/conference-best-bowl-record-during-bcs-era-big-east

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2011/all/all

Top Bottom