Michigan Fans

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
Big Blue was represented very well in the Visitor Side Upper Deck.

Engaged several on the train ride and in the stands. Just like us they can't stand Wisky so that's at least a common point. Unfortunately, The Jug is now relegated to just a side point and not sure why they even traveled it.

Unlike when OH-IO State fans were here a couple of years back, the folks in 211 (and there were a lot of them) were pretty good natured and not terribly arrogant. The pick six on the second play probably set the cruise control for most of them, but it is what it is. It was almost like the game was a controlled scrimmage of the A Team versus B Team...and we were the B Team.

I'm inclined to follow them more closely (and maybe root for them) from here. Have to admire the best when it's fielded in front of you.

Interested to see us against the Buckeyes too for comparison. It was a beatdown but I've been surrounded by worse fans during similar ones in the past.

A group of annoyingly drunk Michigan fans were behind us in section 143 loudly spouting how terrible Minnesota is at football, how embarrassing our history is (not much success past the 60's), how we had bad fans since the stadium started emptying in the 3rd, and one of them said he was going to "cuck" Minnesota fans. It was a long game for yours truly.

Most of their other fans seemed pretty cool though.

A group of annoyingly drunk Michigan fans were behind us in section 143 loudly spouting how terrible Minnesota is at football, how embarrassing our history is (not much success past the 60's), how we had bad fans since the stadium started emptying in the 3rd, and one of them said he was going to "cuck" Minnesota fans. It was a long game for yours truly.

Most of their other fans seemed pretty cool though.
Unfortunately there are always going to be drunk, annoying fans in every fanbase. We had some behind us for the Nebraska game, even though generally the Nebraska fanbase is very polite.

The real question usually is, of the fans that travel to away games, what % of them are the drunk, annoying fans and what % are polite and courteous and there just to have fun rooting for their team.

I have never seen that many Michigan fans here before. Didn't see any jerks at the game.
Curious how many actually traveled vs live here?

Last edited:

At least 5,000 would be my guess...but could easily have been 7 or 8 or more?

Because most Gopher fans had already left, the Green Line train back to the West Bank and beyond was effectively the (Big) Blue Line going home. Usually only the Nebbie fans fill up the cars like that last night.

At least 5,000 would be my guess...but could easily have been 7 or 8 or more?

Because most Gopher fans had already left, the Green Line train back to the West Bank and beyond was effectively the (Big) Blue Line going home. Usually only the Nebbie fans fill up the cars like that last night.
5,000-6,000 would be my guess.

Unfortunately there are always going to be drunk, annoying fans in every fanbase. We had some behind us for the Nebraska game, even though generally the Nebraska fanbase is very polite.

The real question usually is, of the fans that travel to away games, what % of them are the drunk, annoying fans and what % are polite and courteous and there just to have fun rooting for their team.
I always like to make a point to be cool to the home fans when going to an away game. Plenty of times we have had beers together and had fun giving each other a little shit. Those games are the most fun.

Lived there for 7 years - nobody likes them there either - but I might gloat circa 2012 when David Cobb ran for 200+ at the big house and we hammered them that day - my gopher hat had sway in the bars that night

Went to Surly Darkness Day (before I headed to the football game) and saw many Michigan Fans there. Also saw Chiefs fans and many people in Twins gear. Everyone was well mannered.

Surly was packed inside and out. The patio and large outdoor area was rocking as there was a band playing. It was also my first time visiting The Market at Malcolm Yards. The Wrectangle Pizza was fantastic.

I always like to make a point to be cool to the home fans when going to an away game. Plenty of times we have had beers together and had fun giving each other a little shit. Those games are the most fun.
I’ve been to every B1G stadium for a Gopher game at least once. Every time, I get tix through the U so I’m with the visitor section. Generally speaking we cheer when good things happen but don’t be a Dbag and try to antagonize home fans. It’s their stadium; be respectful. For a stretch I had tix in the upper corner on the home side. Plenty of visitor fans up there, and often they were extremely annoying. Cheer all you want, just don’t be a dick.

Saw plenty of MI fans by us, and were generally pretty agreeable.

Most of my interactions with Michigan fans were through work (mainly at Intel which recruited MI heavily) so these are people that actually attended and not the casual fan with no actual connection to the university. My take was that they have zero allegiance to the Big Ten overall and only viewed PSU and tOSU as competition - even in the times when MSU was beating them regularly. They more or less considered Minnesota, Illinois, and the like to be no different than MAC teams and really didn't pay much attention to what we were doing as they focused on the top 10 teams nationally. So, we didn't really rise to the level of being fun to trash talk - that would have been akin to picking on the short bus kids. This is much different that the Badger fans - a vast majority of which have no actual connection to the university outside of probably being rejected for admission after high school. So, my take is MI and PSU are the 'Sense of superiority but polite' group.

Most of my interactions with Michigan fans were through work (mainly at Intel which recruited MI heavily) so these are people that actually attended and not the casual fan with no actual connection to the university. My take was that they have zero allegiance to the Big Ten overall and only viewed PSU and tOSU as competition - even in the times when MSU was beating them regularly. They more or less considered Minnesota, Illinois, and the like to be no different than MAC teams and really didn't pay much attention to what we were doing as they focused on the top 10 teams nationally. So, we didn't really rise to the level of being fun to trash talk - that would have been akin to picking on the short bus kids. This is much different that the Badger fans - a vast majority of which have no actual connection to the university outside of probably being rejected for admission after high school. So, my take is MI and PSU are the 'Sense of superiority but polite' group.
Probably just above No-See-Ums but not quite gnats.

Of course once in a "blue" moon we can sting. Still, for whatever reason the tOSU folks seem to exhibit a little more disdain than last evening's crowd. Since we do beat PSU at times we are slightly more real to them at this level...

Still, for whatever reason the tOSU folks seem to exhibit a little more disdain than last evening's crowd.
I think tOSU is similar to the Badgers - a ton of their vocal diehard fans have no actual connection to the university. For whatever reason, this tends to lead to more obnoxious fan bases.

I think tOSU is similar to the Badgers - a ton of their vocal diehard fans have no actual connection to the university. For whatever reason, this tends to lead to more obnoxious fan bases.
Nothing better than academic elitism am I right?

Nothing better than academic elitism am I right?
It is just an observation. I think most will probably agree with the Badgers as well. Before Alvarez, they were mostly tolerable. After, they have a huge bandwagon of fans that never attended Madison that are obnoxious. Not to say that the ones that attended Madison are not - but it is in a lower proportion than the bandwagon fans. If they have another couple of down seasons, it will weed out more of the bandwagon fans as they move onto the next thing.

It is just an observation. I think most will probably agree with the Badgers as well. Before Alvarez, they were mostly tolerable. After, they have a huge bandwagon of fans that never attended Madison that are obnoxious. Not to say that the ones that attended Madison are not - but it is in a lower proportion than the bandwagon fans. If they have another couple of down seasons, it will weed out more of the bandwagon fans as they move onto the next thing.
I hear a lot of people make these type of comments and frankly it's nothing but elitist BS. Are you really background checking every obnoxious badger fan to see if they have a degree from UW?

I didn't graduate from the U but I've followed the sports teams since I was in diapers and frankly care more about them than 98% of alumni I've ever encountered. But hey if you want to look down on people for what school they attended, good for you.

I hear a lot of people make these type of comments and frankly it's nothing but elitist BS. Are you really background checking every obnoxious badger fan to see if they have a degree from UW?

I didn't graduate from the U but I've followed the sports teams since I was in diapers and frankly care more about them than 98% of alumni I've ever encountered. But hey if you want to look down on people for what school they attended, good for you.
I wasn't getting that from his comment at all...

Maybe he works with a bunch of UW grads?

I wasn't getting that from his comment at all...

Maybe he works with a bunch of UW grads?
There are a lot of people who believe that non-alumni fans are lesser than alumni - that's why he specified UW fans that didn't attend that school. It shouldn't matter whether you attended the school, if you're a jerk you're a jerk, and I don't buy the idea that those who have a degree are less likely to be that way.
People commonly use the phrase "t-shirt fans" or "wal mart fans" to describe these inferior beings.

I have to say they were pretty mild and courteous as fans, steamrolling of a game and all. Nebby fans are the worst.

I have to say they were pretty mild and courteous as fans, steamrolling of a game and all. Nebby fans are the worst.
Neb fans aren't even on the same planet as Iowa or Wisconsin in terms of rudeness/obnoxious behavior. The worst thing I can say about Huskers is they are a bit smug.

There are a lot of people who believe that non-alumni fans are lesser than alumni - that's why he specified UW fans that didn't attend that school. It shouldn't matter whether you attended the school, if you're a jerk you're a jerk, and I don't buy the idea that those who have a degree are less likely to be that way.
People commonly use the phrase "t-shirt fans" or "wal mart fans" to describe these inferior beings.
That all may be true but wasn't getting that from his comment. It might be his experience and it may be true for all we know. I haven't run into very many non-alumni badger fans so I can't really compare for myself.

That all may be true but wasn't getting that from his comment. It might be his experience and it may be true for all we know. I haven't run into very many non-alumni badger fans so I can't really compare for myself.
"Badger fans - a vast majority of which have no actual connection to the university outside of probably being rejected for admission after high school. So, my take is MI and PSU are the 'Sense of superiority but polite' group."

"I think tOSU is similar to the Badgers - a ton of their vocal diehard fans have no actual connection to the university. For whatever reason, this tends to lead to more obnoxious fan bases."

Went to Surly Darkness Day (before I headed to the football game) and saw many Michigan Fans there. Also saw Chiefs fans and many people in Twins gear. Everyone was well mannered.

Surly was packed inside and out. The patio and large outdoor area was rocking as there was a band playing. It was also my first time visiting The Market at Malcolm Yards. The Wrectangle Pizza was fantastic.
I was there while Impaler played. The Michigan fans probably thought of the props Impaler used (heads on a stick and entrails pulled out of a band member) as foreshadowing.

Top Bottom