Michigan DB Jabrill Peppers says he can't 'eat right' on NCAA checks

Bud Grant said it best when he was asked if he was underpaid as a football coach and replied "I sure hope so because if I am not they shouldn't keep me."

oh my i wish he would have stayed on campus in the dorms where the coaching staff could keep an eye on him so that he could eat

the problem is that something free isn't good enough anymore. free tuition is not enough pay them and i guarantee a few years down the road they will want more.

how can they afford the TV's and the gaming stations and oh my why go to class, that is the only time they can eat at the resident halls?

spoiled elitist is what our athletes are becoming. coddled and spoiled.

What I find remarkable is that when I work hard and do more and expect to be compensated for being better at my job than somebody else I get a pat on the back. When a student athlete who achieves through incredible amount of hard work and sacrifice expects to be rewarded, even fractionally out of the millions that Michigan football makes every year he is an entitled, spoiled elitist? What ****ing country do you think we live in? Hard work, being better than others, achievement used to be the things we honored and respected and rewarded in this country. And yes he can quit, blah, blah, blah, but asking for a raise after earning your company millions isn't wrong or dishonest...its what any hardworking person would do.

Anyone want to explain why he doesn't quit then and get a job like the rest of us? What a moron. If you're unhappy, quit. Make your fortune another way.

Michigan footballs earns millions in profits...he helps them earn that. Why should he quit? Why isn't he entitled to ask for a raise? What are you a ****ing communist? The courts will continue to side with these kids until these schools start honest negotiations. Will it be the end of big time college sports? No. But the ****ing rowing team might eat it and the golf team is probably in trouble too.

Michigan footballs earns millions in profits...he helps them earn that. Why should he quit? Why isn't he entitled to ask for a raise? What are you a ****ing communist? The courts will continue to side with these kids until these schools start honest negotiations. Will it be the end of big time college sports? No. But the ****ing rowing team might eat it and the golf team is probably in trouble too.

Actually, I believe the only sports typically in the B10 that make money are football, basketball, and hockey, all men's sports. Woman's basketball and volleyball plus men's wrestling may be close to breaking even, not sure. In the south, baseball makes money for a lot of southern teams. If we did everything in college based on profits, 80% of all other sports teams, men and women would be dropped. Not that many sports programs in college sports overall are profitable.

Actually, I believe the only sports typically in the B10 that make money are football, basketball, and hockey, all men's sports. Woman's basketball and volleyball plus men's wrestling may be close to breaking even, not sure. In the south, baseball makes money for a lot of southern teams. If we did everything in college based on profits, 80% of all other sports teams, men and women would be dropped. Not that many sports programs in college sports overall are profitable.

Thank you Title IX

Thank you Title IX

It is what it is and isn't going to change, so suck it up and stop whining. It isn't football's money nor does it get to decide how all the money is spent. It has a voice but there are many other voices that are part of that discussion. For all kinds of reasons that isn't going to change but some of you here just refuse to recognize this and/or accept it.:rolleyes:

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Some over-confident jock is pissed that he's doing better than the guy who did his job last year. And yet that's never enough. I'd rather watch no football and eliminate scholarships entirely than cave into these stupid demands. If you don't like the system, go elsewhere and do something else. That's how the world works.

It is what it is and isn't going to change, so suck it up and stop whining. It isn't football's money nor does it get to decide how all the money is spent. It has a voice but there are many other voices that are part of that discussion. For all kinds of reasons that isn't going to change but some of you here just refuse to recognize this and/or accept it.:rolleyes:

I agree with sucking it up and it isn't going to change. Maybe the university should cut the men's sports down to say football, basketball, hockey and maybe baseball and wrestling. Get whatever women's sports to make things equal and cut the rest and grow the programs that make money. Do you think Title IX will allow you to pay the athletes of programs that are in the black? I would venture to guess no.

Quit!!! Lol well maybe we should not give them 100,000 in free student loans and let them work instead so they have spending money. Idiots I alawys laugh at this crap being forced to play college football. If they are great they will be rewarded with a NFL contract. And the rest will be with 100,000 free debt. Hell of a gig if u can get it.

If it's so horrible please list all the college students who quit and gave up the free loans..... Must be really long.....

I agree with sucking it up and it isn't going to change. Maybe the university should cut the men's sports down to say football, basketball, hockey and maybe baseball and wrestling. Get whatever women's sports to make things equal and cut the rest and grow the programs that make money. Do you think Title IX will allow you to pay the athletes of programs that are in the black? I would venture to guess no.

If making money was the primary reason for college sports to exist, then this would already have been done. However, this is clearly not the case. From a university's point of view, sports is another element that adds to both the collegiate experience and their school's prestige. School's are willing to be fair to their athletes and compensate them with an education, room and board and some pocket money. It's a fantasy to expect school's to do more than that when they are committed to fielding at least 16 teams in Division 1. I like the way the U is trying to have quality teams for all their sports and think they will be better school for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why aren't high school kids paid? All the ticket sales should go to the players. Right? Right?

They are paid in coeds throwing themselves at them. Let's not forget what's important!

...paying (mostly) minors...for (mostly) minors...

Minors are under 18. I don't think minors is applicable here. Unless you're speaking within the context of being legally able to purchase alcohol, then the nomenclature of minor typically is applied.

When a student athlete who achieves through incredible amount of hard work and sacrifice expects to be rewarded, even fractionally out of the millions that Michigan football makes every year he is an entitled, spoiled elitist?

A four year scholarship at Michigan is worth at least several hundred thousand dollars, particularly when you throw in the specialized training and facilities, tutors, etc. they are given access to. Some people have even pegged the value in the millions of dollars. Link

I'd say that IS being rewarded at least fractionally for the profits.

Minors are under 18. I don't think minors is applicable here. Unless you're speaking within the context of being legally able to purchase alcohol, then the nomenclature of minor typically is applied.

Right, that's what I mean. It's tough to get the point across and remain concise.

There are tens of thousands of interns across this country working a job for FREE knowing that the experience they gain will likely benefit them in the future. No room, board, free tuition. Some get no pay and no chance for a raise when they perform well.

My wife works at a high school. No matter how hard she works, no matter how well she does, there will be no bonus. Her raise, if she gets one will be less than cost of living expenses and will be the same as the worst employee in her pay lane. It's the job she signed up for.

Football players signed up for a job like these. They are compensated much better than an intern. The best players are (or should be) compensated as much as the non-star players, like my wife in her Union job.

Mr Peppers signed up for this. If his family is not well off enough to supplement his food stipend then I suggest he live in the dorms, for free and eat free food. Not ideal, but still a decent option. Jabrill doesn't have to eat ramen for breakfast and he knows it. I'm the end, he can use his free top notch education to land a high paying job or he can play pro football. Not a bad out. Better than most interns out there. Time to grow up whiny p***.

There are tens of thousands of interns across this country working a job for FREE knowing that the experience they gain will likely benefit them in the future. No room, board, free tuition. Some get no pay and no chance for a raise when they perform well.

My wife works at a high school. No matter how hard she works, no matter how well she does, there will be no bonus. Her raise, if she gets one will be less than cost of living expenses and will be the same as the worst employee in her pay lane. It's the job she signed up for.

Football players signed up for a job like these. They are compensated much better than an intern. The best players are (or should be) compensated as much as the non-star players, like my wife in her Union job.

Mr Peppers signed up for this. If his family is not well off enough to supplement his food stipend then I suggest he live in the dorms, for free and eat free food. Not ideal, but still a decent option. Jabrill doesn't have to eat ramen for breakfast and he knows it. I'm the end, he can use his free top notch education to land a high paying job or he can play pro football. Not a bad out. Better than most interns out there. Time to grow up whiny p***.

Well stated, Bert.

What I find remarkable is that when I work hard and do more and expect to be compensated for being better at my job than somebody else I get a pat on the back. When a student athlete who achieves through incredible amount of hard work and sacrifice expects to be rewarded, even fractionally out of the millions that Michigan football makes every year he is an entitled, spoiled elitist? What ****ing country do you think we live in? Hard work, being better than others, achievement used to be the things we honored and respected and rewarded in this country. And yes he can quit, blah, blah, blah, but asking for a raise after earning your company millions isn't wrong or dishonest...its what any hardworking person would do.

Dang it i forgot about rewarding hard work and excelling his his studies. Kind of like the Doctor that got his degree his reward is and should be the chance to continue his playing at the next level? why should a college or university have to continually pay more for these kids just because they have the chance to play a sport that brings the school a lot of money?

those students that work on the grant studies and research never complain about the long hours and if they miss the dinning hall meal. and i would say that research and grants bring the schools as much or more $ than sports do.

I know many kids going to school would love to have an issue with finding someplace to eat if they didn't have to pay for school. most kids will be in debt about 40,000 or more by the time they are done with their degrees, that is a lot of runs to the boarder over a 4 year time frame.

...I would say that research and grants bring the schools as much or more $ than sports do.
Quick Google search showed that the U was awarded $749.1 million in grants in 2012. I wonder what those undergrad and grad assistants are being paid?

C'mon man. You're better than this. This is the type of argument that a 15-year-old makes. Every employee at every company makes their employer more profit than the benefits provided to them...or they don't stay employed for very long. The analogy doesn't exactly apply because college athletes aren't employees, but for the purposes of comparison, these guys are killing each other for a scholarship because it's easily the best opportunity available to them. How is that the fault of the NCAA and its member schools? The argument has already been made in this very thread (and by me and others here previously, along with many other places), but if there were a profit to be made by paying (mostly) minors a salary to play football, someone would be doing it. The fact that there are zero opportunities in the U.S. for (mostly) minors to play professional football tells you all you need to know. It's not a viable enterprise. Period.

And similar arguments were made by all monopolies about how lucky their workers to have ****ty jobs at all...and they lost. And so will the NCAA (and has already been losing).

Well, in a couple of years, when the "full cost of attendance" gets phased in, we'll see if anything changes.

There's no question that the cost of a scholarship represents significant compensation to a scholarship athlete. But, you can't eat a scholarship or put it in the gas tank of your car/bike. That requires actual cash money. And, like it or not, a certain % of scholarship athletes are coming from less-than-ideal situations, so Mom can't send Joey QB a lot of spending money from home. That is the rationale behind full cost of attendance - allowing scholarship athletes a little cash for daily expenses.
Hopefully, they have enough sense to manage the money wisely......

And similar arguments were made by all monopolies about how lucky their workers to have ****ty jobs at all...and they lost. And so will the NCAA (and has already been losing).

That's exactly the point here. Players won, got their stipend and still b+tch and moan about how bad they got it. Frankly, I could care less.

That's a terrible argument. Monopolies affect competition and consumer purchasing ability, not employment. If workers wanted to work somewhere else, there were tons of places to work. They're not owed work in the same field. Likewise, there are tons of places for players to go get a full-time job and quit playing football. Each and every one of them are free to do so at any time. They don't because their current gig is better than working 40 hours a week for little pay. The NCAA doesn't owe these players anything more than what they're getting, and they should be grateful for the privilege. Instead, they're young adults without fully developed brains who don't realize how good they have it.

Thank you Title IX
Real numbers about college athletics are available and also incredible. I challenge you to find men's or women's sports teams in the black, other than football and men's basketball; and some of them are in the red, too. Peppers best chance of winning a positive change for football is to start attacking Title IX. If it was all about profits and distributing it to athletes, virtually all "minor" sport athletes would be paying to play, not get their education paid for and all the other perks.

Quick Google search showed that the U was awarded $749.1 million in grants in 2012. I wonder what those undergrad and grad assistants are being paid?

I'm definitely in camp that believes we don't need to be playing players and that the value of a free education is reward enough, but it's not like grad assistants aren't paid for the work on grants (less so for undergrads). I can't say this happens in every instance, but my while my wife was obtaining her PHD from Minnesota her grad school was completely paid for and she received a stipend (roughly 20k/year if I remember correctly) for her work on grants. I should point out though, that the money came from the grant itself (a significant portion of the grant money is meant for paying grad students to work on it).

This post/thread brought up an interesting thought: If we were to take this model and compare it to the athletes, it would not be the sole responsibility of the athletics department or school to pay these athletes - we would include the corporations that are creating the wealth in the college football system. In this scenario the National Institute of Health would be analogous to Budweiser or Directv. People seem to love to criticize the universities for exploiting these athletes, but aren't corporations doing the same thing. Maybe we should ask the sponsors for more money, which is specifically dedicated to create stipends for the players that are helping sell beer, chips and credit cards. Just a thought...

All of this talk is moot if the players can prove they are more " employees" than students. For example, is more time spent on football than class and study time, or is football directly related to the earning of a degree, are football players treated differently than normal scholarship students, eg "full cost of attendance" payments. There are several legal tests to pass and depending on which paid expert one listens to can be swayed one way or the other. The schools don't seem interested in ensuring the legal decisions go their way.

All of this talk is moot if the players can prove they are more " employees" than students. For example, is more time spent on football than class and study time, or is football directly related to the earning of a degree, are football players treated differently than normal scholarship students, eg "full cost of attendance" payments. There are several legal tests to pass and depending on which paid expert one listens to can be swayed one way or the other. The schools don't seem interested in ensuring the legal decisions go their way.

Whether or not the students study more than they play football is up to the students. I definitely knew some guys who spent more time at fraternity events than they did studying, didn't make them professional frat boys or University employees just because they dedicated a lot of time to their extra-curricular activity of choice.

Top Bottom