Michigan Co-OC is 1337 hacker?!?!

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
Michigan co-offensive coordinator Matt Weiss has been placed on leave, according to an athletic department spokesman, as the school's police department told ESPN it is investigating a "report of computer access crimes" that occurred in December at the team's football facility.

Not your typical coach investigation.

Not your typical coach investigation.
Is this like the south metro high school coach that "hacked" into his old school's hudl account?

There was a hacker this summer targeting Michigan football players (Corum, McCarthy, etc.), it’d be quite the coincidence of this wasn’t related.

If I had to guess, which you should never do, he used info in the school records to attempt to crack passwords and steal money. That is a wild ass guess.

These stories are interesting. I personally think going into other people’s emails and such should be an imprisonable crime
Isn't it? I suppose it might depend what you end up doing with the info.

Isn't it? I suppose it might depend what you end up doing with the info.
It isn’t when you end up pleading guilty and the DA would rather just be done with it so you get a slap on the wrist

Maybe while messing around he successfully guessed Harbaugh‘s password. Wonder what that might be…

Will have to take your word for it on that since I don't really know what we are even talking about at this point.... :)
Message received. Thank you for enlisting.

The currier will arrive at your home sometime in the next few days with the package. Do not speak to him or look at him directly. Open the package immediately and follow the instructions. Do not deviate from the plan.

What "hacking"? The criminal complaint doesn't even mention Weiss directly. Sure, why is he on leave, then? I'm sure more will come out.

According to a statement from Crystal James, the Deputy Police Chief with UMPD: “The University of Michigan Police Department is investigating a report of computer access crimes that occurred at Schembechler Hall during Dec. 21-23, 2022. Since this is an ongoing investigation, there is no additional information to share.”

No one is named in an entry on Michigan’s crime log for Jan. 5, when police responded to a complaint at Schembechler Hall and determined a crime may have been committed upon investigation. According to the log, an employee reported fraudulent activity involving someone accessing university emails accounts without authorization.

Michigan state law prohibits access to computers, computer systems and computer networks for certain fraudulent purposes, as well as intentional and unauthorized access, alteration, damage, and destruction of computers, computer systems, computer networks, computer software programs and data. It also prohibits the sending of certain electronic messages.

What "hacking"? The criminal complaint doesn't even mention Weiss directly. Sure, why is he on leave, then? I'm sure more will come out.

According to a statement from Crystal James, the Deputy Police Chief with UMPD: “The University of Michigan Police Department is investigating a report of computer access crimes that occurred at Schembechler Hall during Dec. 21-23, 2022. Since this is an ongoing investigation, there is no additional information to share.”

No one is named in an entry on Michigan’s crime log for Jan. 5, when police responded to a complaint at Schembechler Hall and determined a crime may have been committed upon investigation. According to the log, an employee reported fraudulent activity involving someone accessing university emails accounts without authorization.

Michigan state law prohibits access to computers, computer systems and computer networks for certain fraudulent purposes, as well as intentional and unauthorized access, alteration, damage, and destruction of computers, computer systems, computer networks, computer software programs and data. It also prohibits the sending of certain electronic messages.
Computer access crimes are usually hacking or unauthorized access/use of info.

Sure, no use having a semantics discussion that I will lose.

I tend to think of using the word "hacking" to mean using methods far more sophisticated than "taking educated guesses at what someone's password might be".

No it was what he was planning to do after he figured it out that is the problem.

Sure, no use having a semantics discussion that I will lose.

I tend to think of using the word "hacking" to mean using methods far more sophisticated than "taking educated guesses at what someone's password might be".
A ton of hacking is done using machines that essentially check every variation of a password. That's why systems will lock people out or verify you're human between passwords. It might take a human 5 months to try every variation, it'd be instant with the program. This is also why password generators are so common. When you ask people to pick random numbers/phrases/etc., they often do not pick them at random.

This is probably the most common method of hacking.

Most hackers gain access through passwords, either password cracking technology (described above), educated guessing (with personal info) or a combo.

Wonder if PJ will start using 1337 instead of elite in his "how's your day going" response, they are the same after all. I know almost no one will get that, but if you're into software (or etymology), you might...

I’m getting way too damn old. Had no idea what 1337 meant and had to google it.

1337 h4x0r itself is turn-of-the-millennium slang but brings back memories. Makes me want to listen to Linkin Park and play Counterstrike on a Pentium III.

Looks like the Feds pwn3d Weiss. All your base are belong to us.

1337 h4x0r itself is turn-of-the-millennium slang but brings back memories. Makes me want to listen to Linkin Park and play Counterstrike on a Pentium III.
And a 19" Triniton monitor that weighed 100lbs.

128 Megs of RAM!

Looks like the Feds pwn3d Weiss. All your base are belong to us.
This might be my favorite sentence ever typed on Gopherhole.

hacking into other people's e-mail can have some serious ramifications - if it is done with criminal intent.

as in - I hack into Bob's e-mail, find evidence of some personal or professional misconduct, and use the information to blackmail him.

in the Michigan case, I can imagine all kinds of interesting things may be floating around on some administrator's or regent's e-mail account - things that could be very embarrassing if revealed.

Maybe this is why the TE transferred after ripping people not having his back.

Top Bottom