Michael Rand: Report -- North Carolina and Virginia next in Big Ten expansion plans?

Give me some UNC hoops, please

Not a fan of all the stuff going on with conference realignment, but that ship's already sailed. And since I'm a college basketball fan first, if the Big Ten gets North Carolina that would be fantastic. I'd prefer Virginia over Georgia Tech for the 16th spot (more passionate hoops fan base), but either one would be fine.

An added plus if UNC joins the Big Ten? We'd get to hear Coach K whine some more after the Dukies' heated rival abandons the ACC for the greener (and safer) pastures of the B1G.

I think a move to 16 teams makes the most sense, and I'm guessing GT is just the backup plan in case we don't get NC, but honestly, if we are going to expand to 16, we all know its in preparation to move to 18 or 20, so why not just get it over with and snag GT and FSU while we are at it?! Can't imagine a better school/area to expand into than Florida. Would prefer the Univ of Florida over FSU, but its probably not possible to steal a team right out from the SEC. Getting GT and Florida would give us access to the south and southern football prospects that we otherwise wouldn't have. Not sure who #19 and #20 could be, and I think the ship has sailed on Missouri who would be a good fit, and I think we need one more western school to pair up with Nebraska and group together with NU, Mn, Ia and Wisconsin. Maybe Kansas? Leaving a spot for ND I guess, or Boston College maybe? Duke possibly?

I think a move to 16 teams makes the most sense, and I'm guessing GT is just the backup plan in case we don't get NC, but honestly, if we are going to expand to 16, we all know its in preparation to move to 18 or 20, so why not just get it over with and snag GT and FSU while we are at it?! Can't imagine a better school/area to expand into than Florida. Would prefer the Univ of Florida over FSU, but its probably not possible to steal a team right out from the SEC. Getting GT and Florida would give us access to the south and southern football prospects that we otherwise wouldn't have. Not sure who #19 and #20 could be, and I think the ship has sailed on Missouri who would be a good fit, and I think we need one more western school to pair up with Nebraska and group together with NU, Mn, Ia and Wisconsin. Maybe Kansas? Leaving a spot for ND I guess, or Boston College maybe? Duke possibly?

UNC, UVa, GT and FSU would be a dream slate for the B1G. Wouldn't mind seeing us grab Pitt as well.

The SEC would then probably sweep in and take NCSU and Va Tech.

The remaining shards of the ACC would probably not be enough to survive as a viable conference.

I agree that the SEC will probably take NCSU and VT. Have heard the Big 12 wants FSU badly and Clemson to go with them. But I see them getting Cincy and maybe UConn, and probably Louisville and Miami if the ACC goes down in flames. Wake Forest would seem to be left hanging? They are a catholic school, right? Maybe the Catholic 7 conf would take em in? Leaving only Duke and BC. Now BC could go with UConn to the Big 12 maybe?
And I forgot, we need another western team, and I think Kansas would be the best fit, though I'm not sure if they are in the AAU or not? That's puts us at 19. I wouldn't oppose adding BC, because of their hockey. I think that they are AAU. I think that's also why Pitt wouldn't be considered, also, Pitt doesn't expand our footprint much, since we already have PSU.

So lets see,

UConn, Cincy, Miami, Clemson & Louisville would give Big 12 - 14 teams. (if we get KU and BC)

UNC, GT, Virginia, FSU to Big Ten gives us 18. (KU & BC would make it 20, the magic final #)

NCSU & VT to SEC gives them 16.

With Duke and Notre Dame left hanging. Could those 2 be 19 and 20 for the B1G instead of KU & BC? I hope not. ND should go to the Catholic 7 with WF and hang with their own kind. And Duke?! Who cares, I hate Duke!!! lol Maybe the Big 12 would take Duke?! lol

Pitt and Syracuse would probably be better fits for us than ND and WF.

Both are good basketball schools and at times have very good football teams as well, and both add TV markets / expand our geographic footprint.

Top Bottom