Michael Brown-Stephens

NoelarBear

Reaction score
I can confirm that he is not with the team right now. I would expect him to not be available for the bowl game. Word is that he is deciding his next steps.

( I’ve seen other people say that same thing but I wanted to confirm for myself before posting.)

In the moment, when that TD pass ricocheted off him and was picked, I told my wife: a. it’s hard to convey what a seismic play that was, and b. I worry that MBS will see that play in his mind as he is laying in bed trying to drift off, for years and years to come.

Hoping for the very best for him.

In the moment, when that TD pass ricocheted off him and was picked, I told my wife: a. it’s hard to convey what a seismic play that was, and b. I worry that MBS will see that play in his mind as he is laying in bed trying to drift off, for years and years to come.

Agreed - we convert there and I'd bet we beat Purdue... which would also have put us in the championship game.

If I recall, up to that point of the season our offense was running and passing very efficiently. Started slow the first 1.5 quarters of the Purdue game and then put together a nice drive or two with a go ahead touchdown right before half. Ball hits MBS and the rest of the game looked out of whack. Not saying it is his fault, but that play totally changed the directory of the season.

People are being WAAAAAY to hard on this kid.

I mean....there's no reason for personal attacks on him or wishing him harm....but there's no problem with calling it as it is. He shouldn't have been playing more than a handful of snaps...yet was the primary receiver at times this year. He dropped crucial passes multiple times and was on a couple occasions....beaten by a d-back on a 50/50 ball.

Agreed - we convert there and I'd bet we beat Purdue... which would also have put us in the championship game.

If I recall, up to that point of the season our offense was running and passing very efficiently. Started slow the first 1.5 quarters of the Purdue game and then put together a nice drive or two with a go ahead touchdown right before half. Ball hits MBS and the rest of the game looked out of whack. Not saying it is his fault, but that play totally changed the directory of the season.
Was a huge play in that game but I think you might be inflating the impact of it just a little....

Yeah, he had two bad drops but he was a productive player for us. He made some big plays against good teams and had a knack for getting open more than most Gopher WR recruits.

It's one thing to understand why the program/player are moving in different directions, it's another thing to mock the guy. He was a big part of three teams that beat the Badgers, that is enough for me to always like the guy.

By some accounts the fastest guy on the team. I'm surprised he stuck around this long with the portal and us really not having a ton of West Coast talent. Hope he finds a good situation for himself. Also respect some guys that keep all this transfer stuff under wraps and don't look for all the attention. Maybe Fleck has left the door open on this one. We'll see.

I mean....there's no reason for personal attacks on him or wishing him harm....but there's no problem with calling it as it is. He shouldn't have been playing more than a handful of snaps...yet was the primary receiver at times this year. He dropped crucial passes multiple times and was on a couple occasions....beaten by a d-back on a 50/50 ball.
Like it or not, he was the best WR at getting open a lot of the time. The coaches obviously still trusted him enough to have him out there. Until they didn't.

The depth chart will take care of itself.

At times he was the best we had available for whatever reason and he was a big part of a lot of wins.. In the end he is a kid. Some of the commentary is not needed.

Pehaps the hangover from Bateman / Johnson is still lingering. We were not used to being spoiled.

Last edited:

Is it "mean" or is it just not the "warm and fuzzies" you all want to give him? Am I wrong? Is the team worse off now?

No one is asking for "warm and fuzzies" but is being civil too much to ask? This is a 20-year old who is human, who is someone's son, someone's brother, someone's teammate.

Would it be too hard to simply write "He had some ups and downs, made some big plays in a big win at Purdue last year, scored a TD against Wisconsin, did a lot of good things with his teammates in the community. But he is probably going to fall down the depth chart. I hope he finds success at his next school."

The only thing we really found out is that you're kind of a douchebag.

He softened his original take where he called MBS a bum. But yeah, MBS had his struggles and if he is moving on to a different school that is probably best for everyone involved. But there is no need for taking personal shots at the kid.
The operative word being "kid." He's still a kid and that kind of personal attack is completely unwarranted.

Likely wanted to play more and perhaps go to a system where he could get more targets. Was passed on the depth chart late in the season.

Wish him the best!

By some accounts the fastest guy on the team. I'm surprised he stuck around this long with the portal and us really not having a ton of West Coast talent. Hope he finds a good situation for himself. Also respect some guys that keep all this transfer stuff under wraps and don't look for all the attention. Maybe Fleck has left the door open on this one. We'll see.
PJ talks about guys taking time to think about things and sometimes move on and sometimes come back.

I think it happens quietly, possibly more than publicly.

Bolded: I think you may be right, here.

When you look at the game logs for this year, when he did have a reception he was an explosive play machine. Really nice game at MSU, and even the Purdue game itself as well.

Top Bottom