Mertz, Ferguson questionable

Wolf had s pick and a fumble and waa 3-8 in relief...

Actually Mertz showed the talent he was supposed to have in the last minutes of the first half. Then at the start of the second half a MI CB came from 15 yards out, was not touched by a OL or RB and put Mertz in the hospital.
WI had 29 passing snaps and in everyone the QB was hurried, hit or sacked.
The WI OL is dreadful despite having highly rated recruits.
If the OL coach was not joined at the hip to Chryst he would be gone.
The fans and the WI sportswriters are making no bones about what needs to be done.
Chryst often said he did not have the personality to be a HC.
That has been evident the last two years.

Ferguson would be the bigger loss. He is the key to their passing game

The Wisconsin boards are going crazy. For example Buckys 5th Quarter. They do not like losing and want to fire coaches and bench players. It is good to see and fun to read.

Actually Mertz showed the talent he was supposed to have in the last minutes of the first half. Then at the start of the second half a MI CB came from 15 yards out, was not touched by a OL or RB and put Mertz in the hospital.
The fans and the WI sportswriters are making no bones about what needs to be done.
Mertz isn't supposed to have any talent.

It has been odd watching a Wisconsin team that can't run the ball effectively. They have played a tough schedule but in the past they could run the ball against pretty much anyone.

On the season over half of their rushing yards and 4 of their 5 rushing TDs (when was the last time Wisconsin had only 5 rushing TDs through 4 games) came from their game against Eastern Michigan. Ground game has been shut down in their other 3 games, and that just isn't something that has happened to Wisconsin much in a long time.

Their defense is strong enough to put them in position to win against bad teams, but any team that figures out a way to score some points on them is going to be in great shape because their offense is a mess.

Mertz stinks. Wisconsin football is not doing great right now, what a pity!

Solid chance they reel off 3 wins (Illinois, Army, Purdue) heading into their showdown with Iowa at the end of the month. Their defense should be good enough to keep those 3 teams in check.

But overall this certainly doesn't look like one of the better Wisconsin teams overall, especially on the offensive side of the ball where they have a ton of issues right now. Hopefully they aren't able to get those issues figured out over the remainder of the season.

Isn't Mertz always questionable?
He certainly isn't living up to the hype that was created by his first game in 2020 against Illinois where he was nearly perfect. Since that game he has been very mediocre to flat out bad at times.

Solid chance they reel off 3 wins (Illinois, Army, Purdue) heading into their showdown with Iowa at the end of the month. Their defense should be good enough to keep those 3 teams in check.

But overall this certainly doesn't look like one of the better Wisconsin teams overall, especially on the offensive side of the ball where they have a ton of issues right now. Hopefully they aren't able to get those issues figured out over the remainder of the season.
I fully expect them to win those three games.

However, just think of the meltdown if Bert beats them this week. They'd be sitting at 1-4 with a loss to somebody they all now despise. It would be something we haven't seen at WI is about 2 decades. Not likely, but will be watching just in case.

Will be really interesting to see if they can get it back. All is not right in Madison but I’m not ready to pronounce them dead just yet.

Never thought I’d say this but I’m a big Brett B guy this week. Go Brett

The Wisconsin boards are going crazy. For example Buckys 5th Quarter. They do not like losing and want to fire coaches and bench players. It is good to see and fun to read.
Mertz without Ferguson might be better because he might not just automatically throw there every time

He certainly isn't living up to the hype that was created by his first game in 2020 against Illinois where he was nearly perfect. Since that game he has been very mediocre to flat out bad at times.
He would still be perfect if he played another team that refused to cover tight ends at all like Illinois did that day

We don't like losing either here on this board. We too want to fire all the coaches and come up with ridiculous rants. All you have to do is look at some of the long threads on this board and I'm embarrassed what is posted as a Gopher fan. Maybe its trolls I don't know. I can't imagine there board is any worse than ours.

They could probably beat Illinois with half their lineup out.

They could probably beat Illinois with half their lineup out.
Nebraska couldn’t and everyone has Nebraska right next to them in the power rankings

But I agree with you

Other than his debut, Mertz has been questionable in every game.

Wisconsin is headed down the crapper. What looked like a likely loss in August now looks like a likely win for the Gophs.

At least it does to me.

Mertz has been questionable since he stepped foot in Madison! Thank you, I'll show myself out now and please tip your server!! *Mic drop*

Mertz has been questionable since he stepped foot in Madison! Thank you, I'll show myself out now and please tip your server!! *Mic drop*
Not sure you get to do a mic drop when you are the third or fourth person to make the same joke. :)

But overall this certainly doesn't look like one of the better Wisconsin teams overall, especially on the offensive side of the ball where they have a ton of issues right now.

That's putting it mildly. Right now they're not even close to an average Wisconsin team of the 21st century.

A few fundamental stats tell the story.

Points per game scored: 18.5; dead last in the Big Ten and #117 of 130 teams nationally

Average yards per play (offense): 4.8; tied for last in the Big Ten and tied for #112 out of 130 teams nationally. Somewhat surprising at first glance, Iowa averages the same and has even averaged fewer yards per game than Wisconsin but Iowa has been fantastic at the next dimension mentioned below.

Turnovers (given up): Wisconsin is tied for first in the nation (with Marshall) in averaging 3 turnovers per game

Turnovers (received): Wisconsin is tied for #104 in the nation by being on the receiving end of only .8 turnovers per game.

So, Wisconsin's net turnover position is -2.2 per game.

Iowa's net turnover position is +2.4 (they lead the nation in turnovers received at 3.2 per game). The Gophers aren't too bad at this dimension (+.8 net turnovers per game) and that positive net turnover average has helped us this season. We won the turnover battle in 3 of the 5 games with the exceptions being, well, guess who (Ohio State and Bowling Green State).

Every year these for money camps and media hype up certain QB's usually because of either their size or a dominant program they played for, example IMG or a stacked team. Mertz transferred HS programs got on a prolific HS program that allowed him to throw the ball. So many of these QB's end up like him. JJ is a 6'1" 185 kid out of Chicago that has been hyped up since 7th grade. His QB marketer/trainer Holcome out of Chicago, got him an offer in 7th grade at Iowa State. He is a 5 star and being groomed for the next starter at Michigan, just like their starter a few years ago Patterson a 5 star that transferred to IMG and now is selling insurance. Morgan is bigger then him, JJ has a nice arm, it will be interesting to see how he does, Kalik overall, is a more complete QB, then JJ.

Top Bottom