Mertz enters the portal

I thought he'd ride this out.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Established power 5 starter, someone might be willing to give him a shot at the power 5 level.

He seems like a great young man. However, he just couldn't get it done at tough times and/or against top opponents. This will probably make Wisconsin better in the long run as I expect they will attract one of the better QB's available.

I'm guessing he will go somewhere where he can throw it 30+ times a game in a wide open offense. If I think about it for a bit, I can probably come up with another highly-ranked HS player who just didn't get it done in any way, shape, or form at the college level, but Mertz just never looked like the guy I thought he'd be.

So... any predictions on who QBs the Badgers to their inevitable B1G Championship next season?

Cincinnati transfer?

So... any predictions on who QBs the Badgers to their inevitable B1G Championship next season?

Cincinnati transfer?
I don’t follow Cincinnati football. Do they have a QB who could transfer to Madison??

I don’t follow Cincinnati football. Do they have a QB who could transfer to Madison??

I don't know, either. But if they're going to be a factor in the B1G, they'll need somebody to play QB.

Damn it. Does Hornibrook have any eligibility left?

Wisconsin might do a reverse-Coan. Bring in the ND qb who just went into the portal.

Wisconsin QB Room Looks Promising For Luke Fickell​

Let’s assume that Graham Mertz has played his last snap for Wisconsin. I don’t think any Badgers fan is upset to imagine that world. Myles Burkett is a former 3-star recruit who was on the team this year but obviously didn’t play. Cole LaCrue is a 3-star prospect that has committed to Wisconsin. There is one thing that both of these players have in common. They are dual-threat QBs. In his time at Cincinnati, Fickell preferred to coach dual-threat QBs and coached them well. This could make the Wisconsin QB room very dangerous.

Badgers Need Better QB Play Next Year​

Fickell has to have success with the QB position. In football, a team is going nowhere if their QB play is subpar. Teams can deal with good or just okay QB play but not bad. It has been a while since the Badgers have had a dual-threat QB. Fickell looks to change that. If he can get production out of the QB position, the rest of the roster will be elevated. Other pieces fall into place once the QB position is solidified.
The amount of optimism around the Wisconsin football program is great. After a subpar season, Badger fans were looking at an offseason of lots of questions. While those questions still exist, Luke Fickell has many giving optimistic answers.

Cincinnati transfer?
I'm going to go with whoever their coach decides to go with.

Are you seriously going to speculate on a qb? Please let their coach decide. Trust the coaches. LMAO

Cincy had a 4 star qb committed to them. I don't know if they bring him along.

I'm going to go with whoever their coach decides to go with.

Are you seriously going to speculate on a qb? Please let their coach decide. Trust the coaches. LMAO

No, no, no... you wait until the coaches pick a QB, then you second-guess them.

You can't second-guess until after they make a call!

Jeez. Try to keep up.

No, no, no... you wait until the coaches pick a QB, then you second-guess them.

You can't second-guess until after they make a call!

Jeez. Try to keep up.
When did that happen?

He seems like a great young man. However, he just couldn't get it done at tough times and/or against top opponents. This will probably make Wisconsin better in the long run as I expect they will attract one of the better QB's available.
Always struck me as a bit arrogant but I won't pretend like I know him well enough to judge.

Mertz had the skills but was in a very bad situation with Chryst as the OC, Rudolph as the OL coach and OC for one year, two or three different QB"s coaches, etc.
Fickell has stated he wants a dual-threat QB so the writing was on the wall for Mertz.
I hope he ends up somewhere where he can flourish.

maybe this means nothing, but I noted that Mertz' statement mentions Chryst by name, but not Leonhard or any other coaches.

when a team has a coaching change, it's typical for some players to leave for a variety of reasons.

hey, maybe he knows the writing is on the wall that he's not going to be the starter anymore. or maybe he just wants a fresh start somewhere else.

Top Bottom