Men's Gopher Basketball in First Place?

Conference play doesn't start for months, are the Gophers in first place or defenders of last place?

• Total voters

60's Guy

Reaction score
How do you view us in the standings for next season...sitting here in the middle of April?
Generally, I think most teams have enough pre-season optimism that fans almost always feel like this could be the year we win it all. In the case of the basketball Gophers it seems hollow to suggest we could possibly be in first place beyond maybe, possibly the opener?
So, are we defenders of last place until proven we don't belong there?
How do you see the Gophers without having played a game and no opportunity to do so for months? Undefeated? First place? Can't see us anywhere but defending our earned spot on the bottom?

Last edited:

I think OP is asking if we are currently in first because the season hasn’t started.

How do you view us in the standings for next season...sitting here in the middle of April?
Generally, I think most teams have enough pre-season optimism that fans almost always feel like this could be the year we win it all. In the case of the basketball Gophers it seems hollow to suggest we could possibly be in first place beyond maybe, possibly the opener?
So, are we defenders of last place until proven we don't belong there?
How do you see the Gophers without having played a game and no opportunity to do so for months? Undefeated? First place? Can't see us anywhere but defending our earned spot on the bottom?
Why all the constant pessimism?

There are options between first and last.

Nah, never mind.

There are options between first and last.

Nah, never mind.
A terrific point guard would do wonders for our team. Last year I got sick of watching Battle and Garcia trying to make their own shots rather than have a point guard penetrating and dishing off to either of them. Fast break baskets another reason to get a real point guard.

If I'm reading correctly, in addition to their coach, Penn State lost 8 of their top 11 guys to either transfer or graduation. I think they started 5 seniors last year. I'd hope we can at least finish ahead of them. I think Andy Katz had Illinois and Iowa at 11 and 13 in the Big Ten respectively, and I don't think either of them have finished that low in a good few years now, but idk what their roster situations look like. He also had Penn State at 9, which seems really high for a team that is almost completely starting over, though Ace Baldwin seems like a really nice transfer.

If Penn State finishes ahead of us this year, that'll be an easy "all she wrote" for this coaching cycle.

I'm also not ready to say we will finish ahead of them.

If Buie and Audige return to NW, I think the only realistic team we can finish ahead is PSU. And even then, they have a much more accomplished and better coach than we do.

If Buie and Audige return to NW, I think the only realistic team we can finish ahead is PSU. And even then, they have a much more accomplished and better coach than we do.
Wrightsell (And Bairstow/Pride) would change things for me. We so desperately need a guard that can create their own shot. Add that to Garcia and Payne, we could/should be decent (Around 9th in the Big Ten / Maybe the NCAA Bubble).

The final 2 transfers for this team are so critical.

Wrightsell (And Bairstow/Pride) would change things for me. We so desperately need a guard that can create their own shot. Add that to Garcia and Payne, we could/should be decent (Around 9th in the Big Ten / Maybe the NCAA Bubble).

The final 2 transfers for this team are so critical.

Yeah, those last two pieces are huge. I prefer Wrightsell and Bairstow and would be somewhat optimistic next year if we got those. The B1G will be wide open after MSU and Purdue. If we add those two we'd have potential for sure.

Mitchell/Christie
Wrightsell/Carrington
Bairstow
Garcia/JOJ
Payne

That is a nice starting lineup, and hope that Carrington and JOJ improve and Christie is a productive FR. Either way that lineup has potential.

Yeah, those last two pieces are huge. I prefer Wrightsell and Bairstow and would be somewhat optimistic next year if we got those. The B1G will be wide open after MSU and Purdue. If we add those two we'd have potential for sure.

Mitchell/Christie
Wrightsell/Carrington
Bairstow
Garcia/JOJ
Payne

That is a nice starting lineup, and hope that Carrington and JOJ improve and Christie is a productive FR. Either way that lineup has potential.
You out on Betts, Ihnen and Fox?

You out on Betts, Ihnen and Fox?

I'm not out on them. I'm just taking a cautious approach in my expectation with them. Betts' recruiting profile was similar to Carrington, Henley and JOJ, so I'm expecting about the same production. Maybe his role allocation will be better than those were as FR, which will lead to more meaningful minutes and winning basketball. Think of it like a 3 and D NBA player. Can he have that type of role and accept it? As for Ihnen and Fox, im definitely hesitant given injury history. Much like with Betts I hope they can find a role. But I think if we have to rely on them too much that won't bode well.

Last Place, Again !!!
Talent is better, but coaching staff is the same

I'll put on my optimistic glasses and say we avoid Weakling Wednesday. Last year's offense was extremely clunky and awkward. Guessing the coaching staff will be working their butts off getting a better offense implemented all offseason, because their jobs depend on it. I think the Garcia/Payne combo has the potential to be a top 4 frontcourt in the Big Ten.

I do think the team will be better. Assuming no long-term injuries to expected major contributors I can see them in the 9-10-11 range.

A little surprised Johnson hasn't shaken up his staff (that I've seen) after two last place finishes and some truly abysmal performances.

14th until proven otherwise.

Avoiding Weakling Wednesday (10th) should be considered a smashing success.

That kind of says where our program is at.

I do think the team will be better. Assuming no long-term injuries to expected major contributors I can see them in the 9-10-11 range.

A little surprised Johnson hasn't shaken up his staff (that I've seen) after two last place finishes and some truly abysmal performances.
All depends on those last 2 transfers don't you think?

Mitchell is going to struggle like Cooper did IMO if we don't get him quality help.

Top Bottom