Memphis recruit Demaris Peppers loves gophers

Stan

Reaction score
He told rivals that he spoke with Coach Anderson again today and that he's in contact with him almost everyday over Facebook or Twitter to see how things are going.

He says his interest in Minnesota is very high and we are his number one school. He said he doesn't know how to explain it in words, but something about Minnesota is calling his name. He'll most likely commit after my official visit in a few weeks. He'd put the chances at 75% minimum that he'll be a Golden Gopher after the visit. The coaches want him at defensive end, but he could possibly play some defensive tackle as well. He can't wait to see the Twin Cities and he's very excited about the possibilities of becoming a Golden Gopher.

He has offers from Memphis, Arkansas State, Middle TN State and Houston.

we can always use dt recruits, though people tell us stars don't matter but offers do. i like former gopher tony levine as much as the next guy, but this offer list isn't that great.

I can explain in one word how Minnesota is better than Memphis, Arkansas State, Middle Tennessee State and Houston: duh.

but this offer list isn't that great.
It'll do just fine. I always look for BCS offers, but barring that (though technically Houston and Memphis will be a part of the Big East) I look for local offers. If a local non-BCS program, which has all of the ties to the high schools, doesn't think a kid is worthy of an offer, that's a huge red flag. In this case, he has offers from Memphis and Middle Tennessee State, as well as Arkansas State, which heavily recruits Memphis.

Memphis schools have a terrible academic reputation so they are a little under recruited by some of the name schools. In this case Peppers already has a 20 ACT and 3.5 GPA so no issues. I think it's another case of recognizing a talent early.

He'd need to bulk up some to play in the interior and I'm not sure if he's as quick as they want on the edge. He'd definitely be a project, with some S&C work he could turn into a nice player though. Love the GPA too.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-Demaris-Peppers-138211
http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=8&c=1&nid=6165372
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...player/evaluation/_/id/141452/demaris-peppers
http://247sports.com/Player/Demaris-Peppers-17430?pi=28474

Memphis schools have a terrible academic reputation so they are a little under recruited by some of the name schools. In this case Peppers already has a 20 ACT and 3.5 GPA so no issues. I think it's another case of recognizing a talent early.

There are currently 19 players in the city of Memphis(not including the suburbs) currently with BCS conference offers, including schools like Arkansas, LSU, Notre Dame, etc..

I do put some stock into stars...the better teams in college consist of higher rated recruits...you cannot pay too attention to stars though, because the system is highly flawed. For example, this kid is NR right now, but Clemson and Arkansas are interested in him, and if one of those teams offers him, he likely becomes a 3 star, if both offer him, he may become a 4 star...furthermore, if we were a winning program right now, he would probably be ranked a 3 star because we offered him. 2 years from now, we will probably be recruiting the same type of kid, but in 2 years from now, I feel we will be a much better team, and there will not be much difference between the kids we are recruiting now from the ones we will be recruiting in the future, but magically, those kids will be rated higher.

I do put some stock into stars...the better teams in college consist of higher rated recruits...you cannot pay too attention to stars though, because the system is highly flawed. For example, this kid is NR right now, but Clemson and Arkansas are interested in him, and if one of those teams offers him, he likely becomes a 3 star, if both offer him, he may become a 4 star...furthermore, if we were a winning program right now, he would probably be ranked a 3 star because we offered him. 2 years from now, we will probably be recruiting the same type of kid, but in 2 years from now, I feel we will be a much better team, and there will not be much difference between the kids we are recruiting now from the ones we will be recruiting in the future, but magically, those kids will be rated higher.

That's not how it works.

Top Bottom