Megan Duffy

I would be very happy if she was our new coach. Time will tell....

I’m going to call my shot here and say that Megan Duffy becomes the next head coach of Golden Gophers women’s basketball team.
I would enthusiastically endorse the hire! View attachment 24493
What are you basing your call on? that is what is interesting, not the name at this point since the name has been out there for awhile.

What are you basing your call on? that is what is interesting, not the name at this point since the name has been out there for awhile.

I would guess based on the job posting specifying 6 seasons as a head coach. This is year 6 for Duffy.

I admit I don’t want to review the entire coaching options thread. Does anybody know has Lynne Roberts been mentioned as a candidate ? Utah is obviously doing very well and she built a few programs b4 Utah.

Nothing more than my gut feeling, and that Coyle wants to win the press conference.

I admit I don’t want to review the entire coaching options thread. Does anybody know has Lynne Roberts been mentioned as a candidate ? Utah is obviously doing very well and she built a few programs b4 Utah.
I don't beleive she has a mention as a candidate. She did get a mention a few months ago as a reason for allowing coaches more time. Roberts, after 16 years of coaching, made the NCAA D1 tournament for the first time.

Lot of choices. I like some of the ones mentioned in the Daily Gopher article. I just want an excellent coach, up & comer, with an excellent track record. Not asking too much.

I don't beleive she has a mention as a candidate. She did get a mention a few months ago as a reason for allowing coaches more time. Roberts, after 16 years of coaching, made the NCAA D1 tournament for the first time.
As a D-2 coach at Chico, her first head coaching gig, she had 80-some wins and 30-some losses. Took her team to an Elite 8 and then a Final 4. Spent 9 years at her first D-1 head coaching job at UoP, which is where former Gopher center Sam Freeman ended up, and is also a tough place to win. Nobody is real thrilled about living in Stockton, Ca. I remember her as being a players coach and played a fun style of hoops. Seems she also has a couple of Mn. women on her team, so she is familiar with the Gopher area.

Other than it being a Big Ten job, not sure what interest she would have in moving, especially since she's finally built Utah into a really good Pac-12 program and might want to reap the rewards of that for awhile.

As a D-2 coach at Chico, her first head coaching gig, she had 80-some wins and 30-some losses. Took her team to an Elite 8 and then a Final 4. Spent 9 years at her first D-1 head coaching job at UoP, which is where former Gopher center Sam Freeman ended up, and is also a tough place to win. Nobody is real thrilled about living in Stockton, Ca. I remember her as being a players coach and played a fun style of hoops. Seems she also has a couple of Mn. women on her team, so she is familiar with the Gopher area.

Other than it being a Big Ten job, not sure what interest she would have in moving, especially since she's finally built Utah into a really good Pac-12 program and might want to reap the rewards of that for awhile.
One thing I thought may help with possible interest is the uncertainty of the future of the PAC-12 conference.

One thing I thought may help with possible interest is the uncertainty of the future of the PAC-12 conference.
In the absolute worst case of worst cases, with let's say only Oregon State and Washington State still standing ... they'd still be able to just pluck whomever they wanted from the Mountain West and western American schools, and start over.

Like each new generation of Neo in the Matrix.

Duffy would be a prestigious choice. Duffy comes from basketball-centric Marquette so you get that "brand." She is a multiple NCAA tournament coach. She was a coach of the year in a conference with UConn. She turned around Miami Redbirds to two 20+ wins seasons so you get the "brand" of a coach that turned it around and killed it. She was an assistant at Michigan we all know as a top program. She was an award winning point guard in college including First Team All-Conference. She is still on her way up.

Duffy would be a prestigious choice. Duffy comes from basketball-centric Marquette so you get that "brand." She is a multiple NCAA tournament coach. She was a coach of the year in a conference with UConn. She turned around Miami Redbirds to two 20+ wins seasons so you get the "brand" of a coach that turned it around and killed it. She was an assistant at Michigan we all know as a top program. She was an award winning point guard in college including First Team All-Conference. She is still on her way up.
Miami Redhawks

Lot of choices. I like some of the ones mentioned in the Daily Gopher article. I just want an excellent coach, up & comer, with an excellent track record. Not asking too much.
Yeah, they have a ton of good options. I'm pretty excited about the next step for this program.

Duffy would be a prestigious choice. . . . She was an assistant at Michigan we all know as a top program. . . .
Duffy is a very good candidate, with an impressive resume. But she has no halo from her time in Ann Arbor, even though Big Ten experience certainly helps. To say “she was an assistant at Michigan we all know as a top program” is not right, and certainly not true of Duffy’s experience at Michigan. While Duffy was in Ann Arbor, they never went to the NCAA tourney, and Michigan’s record before she got there was pathetic. Historically, Michigan is probably the most underperforming Big Ten WBB program.

Michigan WBB has never won either a conference regular season or tournament title. Their first Sweet 16 was in 2021, four years after Duffy left. Even with the very recent, post-Duffy success, Michigan has 10 total NCAA appearances, which is really poor for a school like Michigan. Schools like PSU, Purdue, Iowa, & OSU all have 25+ NCAA appearances.

Duffy is a very good candidate, with an impressive resume. But she has no halo from her time in Ann Arbor, even though Big Ten experience certainly helps. To say “she was an assistant at Michigan we all know as a top program” is not right, and certainly not true of Duffy’s experience at Michigan. While Duffy was in Ann Arbor, they never went to the NCAA tourney, and Michigan’s record before she got there was pathetic. Historically, Michigan is probably the most underperforming Big Ten WBB program.

Michigan WBB has never won either a conference regular season or tournament title. Their first Sweet 16 was in 2021, four years after Duffy left. Even with the very recent, post-Duffy success, Michigan has 10 total NCAA appearances, which is really poor for a school like Michigan. Schools like PSU, Purdue, Iowa, & OSU all have 25+ NCAA appearances.

The Wolverines won the 2017 WNIT tournament and went 28-9 that season while Duffy was an assistant at Michigan.

That season was under head coach Kim Barnes Arico who is the current excellent coach for Michigan women's basketball. Duffy falls into that new prestige Michigan era. I don't care about the records of Patrick Reusse's 1970's teams. The New England Patriots stunk then too.

The Wolverines won the 2017 WNIT tournament and went 28-9 that season while Duffy was an assistant at Michigan.

That season was under head coach Kim Barnes Arico who is the current excellent coach for Michigan women's basketball. Duffy falls into that new prestige Michigan era. I don't care about the records of Patrick Reusse's 1970's teams. The New England Patriots stunk then too.

And Duffy's time at George Washington was as an assistant for Jonathan Tsipis. Tsipis continued GW's success launching himself into the Wisconsin job. But he couldn't gain traction with the Badgers and was bounced from Madison. He is now an analyst for Duffy at Marquette.

And I should add that Tsipis was an assistant at Notre Dame before taking the GW opening.

Last edited:

I guess since the WNIT is the best thing Michigan WBB has ever won, they should be happy about it, especially after being a WNIT semi-finalist the two previous years (making 3 WNIT appearances during Duffy’s Michigan tenure). But we’ll just have to disagree about winning the WNIT making you a “top program.” Even with that momentous achievement, they finished unranked in the final coaches poll released after the post season (and unranked in the final AP poll).

I guess since the WNIT is the best thing Michigan WBB has ever won, they should be happy about it, especially after being a WNIT semi-finalist the two previous years (making 3 WNIT appearances during Duffy’s Michigan tenure). But we’ll just have to disagree about winning the WNIT making you a “top program.” Even with that momentous achievement, they finished unranked in the final coaches poll released after the post season (and unranked in the final AP poll).

That is fine. Both ways have merit. I call Kim Barnes Arico excellent but some may say that is a stretch too.

I'm sensing Duffy asks for more money than Minnesota can pay. Shauna Green money, in the other thread. A no-go. I think Minnesota has a budget gap.

Last edited:

I'm sensing Duffy asks for more money than Minnesota can pay. Shauna Green money, in the other thread. A no-go. I think Minnesota has a budget gap.
Not sure what number that is but with the new tv contract there should be no issues with money. Just that MN prefers paying at the midpoint of the conference unless proven to be better than that via performance while here.

More info from Pittsburgh

Since Lyke made the decision to move on from Lance White on March 3, she has already talked with a handful of candidates, and a source close to the program told Pittsburgh Sports Now that at least a few of the coaches that Lyke has interviewed have made it into a second round.

UMass head coach Tory Verdi, Toledo head coach Tricia Cullop and George Washington head coach Caroline McCombs have all interviewed with Pitt once and will get interviews when Pitt advances to the second round. Another person that interviewed for the job was Marquette head coach Megan Duffy, but it’s not clear if she’ll talk with Lyke again.

More info from Pittsburgh
the part I like is .. it's not sure if Lykes and Duffy will talk again.. hoping that means maybe Duffy has an agreement with us... trying to be hopeful

Are we allowed to root against Marquette in the NCCA tournament, so that coach Duffy can become the next head coach of the Gophers women's basketball team. I mean I don't like doing that rooting against another program unless it is Wisconsin or Iowa of course.. I will make an exception for Iowa this year because Maggie Czinano sister plays on that squad and I like to cheer on the Minnesota kids in the tournament. How about a compromise, they Marquette lose in the Sweet 16? Is that fair?

Are we allowed to root against Marquette in the NCCA tournament, so that coach Duffy can become the next head coach of the Gophers women's basketball team. I mean I don't like doing that rooting against another program unless it is Wisconsin or Iowa of course.. I will make an exception for Iowa this year because Maggie Czinano sister plays on that squad and I like to cheer on the Minnesota kids in the tournament. How about a compromise, they Marquette lose in the Sweet 16? Is that fair?
For Marquette to get to the Sweet 16, they would have to beat #1 South Carolina. I’m thinking she’ll be available within a week.

Top Bottom