Meet QB Philip Nelson the Renegades starting quarterback for Week 1

Hungman1's comments. Leidner took a lot of slack. But, he had the right attitude and was a leader who took in all the criticisms. He worked hard and won quite a few games in spite of some shortcomings.

Despite the fact that he worked hard, took a lot of flack, we had no one behind him, many jumped all over him and ridiculed him to no end. I thought he did very well under the circumstances.

As to passing more, if our running game is solid this year, we're going to see more of that to keep our defense off the field in order to stay fresh as possible. Pass won't disappear as we need to keep the running game open. We have many weapons again this year on offense. We'll have to see how the defense plays out along with many other teams.

I think when Nelson left and said he wanted to go to a team more committed to the pass ... it was a fair reason to go.

At the same reason his stats were hardly something that would make you'd say "We should pass more." ...

That is what PN9 said. After Kill sent him packing which happened after PN9 gave Kill an ultimatum.

Boy, I am stomped as to why Nelson developed a prima donna complex if true, and supposedly gave JK a "declare me a starter or else" ultimatum.

He had all the physical tools. Had he stayed behind and had the right attitude, who knows if the Gophers would have risen to greater heights under JK.

Leidner took a lot of slack. But, he had the right attitude and was a leader who took in all the criticisms. He worked hard and won quite a few games in spite of some shortcomings.

Wow, Tanner Morgan and Zack Annexstad. You couldn't ask for better leaders on your team.
I mento
That is what PN9 said. After Kill sent him packing which happened after PN9 gave Kill an ultimatum.
Jerry's ego got in the way. ya have to tame the bronco.

Jerry's ego got in the way. ya have to tame the bronco.

Your opinion of Kill is becoming well documented. Did he do anything right in your mind?

Maybe Kill could have convinced PN9 to stay and compete and maybe it’s a good thing he didn’t. Seems to me PN9 showed some character flaws publicly after leaving the program which makes me wonder how many were already known internally. Could be kicking him to the curb was the best thing Kill could have done for the Gophers. Based on the ultimatum given and what we learned soon after he left, I’m thinking that was the case. Your scenario of “taming the bronco” leading to PN9 being a great player and teammate seems to be a bit far-fetched for me.

While nobody's become a superstar I think Streveler, Nelson, and the fact that some people once thought Mitch Leidner had 1st round talent indicates that the Kill regime was better at QB evaluation than we thought, and worse at finding receivers and scheming a decent passing game.

While nobody's become a superstar I think Streveler, Nelson, and the fact that some people once thought Mitch Leidner had 1st round talent indicates that the Kill regime was better at QB evaluation than we thought, and worse at finding receivers and scheming a decent passing game.
True

Certainly hard to be a great QB without solid protection and receivers that can create space...

PN used to be pretty good at tossing it short , as in straight into the ground in a donovan McNabb's like way, a lot. He could throw it pretty well most of the time. ML did throw a pretty good deep ball as Jerry Kill always said, and was tough. Toss out those two games in Madison and he would be remembered much better

Last edited:

Top Bottom