Meet QB Philip Nelson the Renegades starting quarterback for Week 1

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jai:

Jones injured his knee while in training camp in mid January and is expected to be ready to play in the Renegades week 2 match up against the LA Wildcats.

So who is QB2 Philip Nelson?

Nelson started his collegiate playing career as a Minnesota Golden Gopher. In his debut start as a true freshman, Nelson passed for two touchdowns and was also the Gophers leading rusher. Nelson was later named the starter for the remaining 7 games of the season recording a 2-5 record and a bowl invitation to the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas.

In his sophomore season Nelson led the Gophers to a 4-0 start, but suffered a hamstring injury against the Iowa Hawkeyes and the Gophers went on to lose that game 23-7. Once healthy, Nelson regained the starting quarterback position and helped the Gophers upset No.24 Nebraska in his return. Nelson later announced his decision to transfer to Rutgers University due to the uncertainty of being the starter for the Gophers the following year. Later, he was dismissed from the program.

Once dismissed from Rutgers he decided to walk on at East Carolina University, and won the starting quarterback job before the beginning of the season. Nelson and the Pirates began the season with a 2-0 record beating Western Carolina and NC State. Nelson combined for 6 touchdown passes and a rushing touchdown through those two games alone. The ECUPirates would go on to win only one more game that season.

After the season was over, Nelson was invited to the 2017 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl which is a game for Senior stand outs and NFL hopefuls. In that game, Nelson led his team on a 14 play scoring drive in the opening series of the game. He finished the game going 11 of 18 through the air for 100+ yards and also added a one yard rushing touchdown. He named the team’s MVP for his performance.

Former NFL head coach Mike Martz and offensive coordinator of the 1999 St. Louis Rams team that was dubbed “The Greatest Show on Turf” coached Nelson in the 2017 the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, and endorsed Nelson as a potential star in the making.

Martz stated that, “he firmly believes Philip can be a starter in the {NFL}. He has no flaws.”

Go Gophers!!

I remembered that for some reason Phillip Nelson felt uncomfortable not being designated as the starter by Jerry Kill. IIRC, there was talk that if he wasn't declared the starter he was going to transfer. Jerry Kill wouldn't back down.

If he just went quietly about his business and worked hard that he would have probably had a greater chance of playing football on Sundays. He wouldn't have end up in that ugly incident in Nebraska.

I remembered that for some reason Phillip Nelson felt uncomfortable not being designated as the starter by Jerry Kill. IIRC, there was talk that if he wasn't declared the starter he was going to transfer. Jerry Kill wouldn't back down.

If he just went quietly about his business and worked hard that he would have probably had a greater chance of playing football on Sundays. He wouldn't have end up in that ugly incident in Nebraska.
Wasn’t that infamous incident in Mankato??

He was definitely the better QB passing wise than Mitch Leidner, but Leidner won the job due to the other things, such as leadership and running. It's long gone but the fact is that Nelson is still playing football and I think Kill may have made a mistake on this one. When you see how well Streveler did once he got away from the program you start wondering how much of this was bad luck and how much of it was just poor choices because our QB's were really not that good in that system.

He was definitely the better QB passing wise than Mitch Leidner, but Leidner won the job due to the other things, such as leadership and running. It's long gone but the fact is that Nelson is still playing football and I think Kill may have made a mistake on this one. When you see how well Streveler did once he got away from the program you start wondering how much of this was bad luck and how much of it was just poor choices because our QB's were really not that good in that system.
I agree with you. Nelson is still playing football, but is probably bouncing around--and will only start this one week due to injury--for one reason...leadership. Streveler turned out to be a good college QB and a CFL somethingoreverposition player.

If the story is true that Nelson demanded to be the starter and then quit when he was told he had to earn it, Kill absolutely made the right call. You can't let the players dictate they are the starter.

Any other former Gophers playing in the XFL?

If the story is true that Nelson demanded to be the starter and then quit when he was told he had to earn it, Kill absolutely made the right call. You can't let the players dictate they are the starter.
Discretion is the better part of valor. Go back and read how fleck handled AWjr. Kill failed and he paid the price.

Discretion is the better part of valor. Go back and read how fleck handled AWjr. Kill failed and he paid the price.
Comparing AWjr11’s situation to PN9’s?
How do you think PJ would handle some self-serving player demanding to be the starter or he will quit?

Comparing AWjr11’s situation to PN9’s?
How do you think PJ would handle some self-serving player demanding to be the starter or he will quit?
From a coach stand point, it’s all the same.

From a coach stand point, it’s all the same.
Huh? One threatened to leave based on how the school treated him. The other said “start me or I will quit”. That is not the same from any standpoint.

Further, you said Kill mishandled it. I’m curious how you think PJ would have handled PN9 coming to him with an ultimatum all about himself and not the team? I hope and believe he would do the same thing Kill did. It didn’t take PN9 long to show that was the right choice either.

Martz states that Nelson has no flaws. Disagree. He pouts, poor leadership skills, and has a has a temper. Is this the type of guy you want leading your team?

Martz states that Nelson has no flaws. Disagree. He pouts, poor leadership skills, and has a has a temper. Is this the type of guy you want leading your team?
Are you describing his behavior at Minnesota or now?

Huh? One threatened to leave based on how the school treated him. The other said “start me or I will quit”. That is not the same from any standpoint.

Further, you said Kill mishandled it. I’m curious how you think PJ would have handled PN9 coming to him with an ultimatum all about himself and not the team? I hope and believe he would do the same thing Kill did. It didn’t take PN9 long to show that was the right choice either.
He would have made it about the team not himself.

Are you describing his behavior at Minnesota or now?
Minnesota from what I remember when he was here. I know nothing about him now. I always wondered if he talked to Kolstad (?) later to talk about the incident.

P Nelson is looking alright leading the XFL Renegades. So, I guess streveler and Nelson were good Jerry QB recruits.

QBs can make good money. Everyone else, about the same as CFL players. I doubt PN is making anywhere near 500K, though. This is a good opportunity for overlooked QBs to impress, and get a job as a clipboard holder in the NFL.

——

How much will players earn?
The average XFL player will earn about $55,000for the league’s inaugural season, according to multiple reports. Star players, such as quarterbacks, can earn up to $500,000, according to ESPN. The projected salary angered some players, at least one of whom opted to keep their day job rather than enter the XFL.

SportsCenter talked this morning about PN9 was an instagram model? Didn’t know guys did this, who knew

He may have outgrown them too?

Top Bottom