Media Prediction Thread: Outback Bowl Edition - Minnesota vs Auburn

Sagarin and SP+ have Auburn as a 7 point favorite and other commentators looking at how the MN Ol and DL played against IA and WI decided Auburn should win easily.
MN's main advantage is that Auburn may not be as focused as MN because Auburn thinks that they should be in a'better' bowl and have a more prestigious opponent.

Are any of the Auburn players sitting out for the draft?

NY Post chimes in:

Outback: Auburn (-7½) over Minnesota: P.J. Fleck can only perform so many miracles. The dream season will end with a third loss in four games, with the Gophers’ pass protection issues setting up Auburn’s dynamic defensive front for a huge game.

Go Gophers!!
Probably so. First 10-3 season since 2003.

I think we need to weigh the size of the contribution as well. Are we talking difference maker or simply as good/ maybe a hair better than someone else? Difference maker = I'm all for it; same as/slightly better = I'll keep them around for an extra year so they can be a difference maker in the future.
This is similar to my thoughts on it. I think Fleck redshirts a guy if there's quality depth at a position, even if that guy might be good enough to make it on the 2 deeps. But if he's the best player or we are very thin at that position, he's going to play.

So you don't think Tanner Morgan would have helped the team his redshirt year?

I am saying that the decision to red shirt or not depends on many, many factors. For example: Will the guy be leaving in three years? Is the team not going to win four games even if we play all freshmen?

I am saying that the decision to red shirt or not depends on many, many factors. For example: Will the guy be leaving in three years? Is the team not going to win four games even if we play all freshmen?
And occasionally, I would guess, one of those factors might be “not as good as the guy in front of him”. Maybe.

Sporting News chimes in:

Auburn vs. Minnesota prediction
It's an interesting coaching matchup, and both coaches will empty the playbook here. Expect some flashy trick plays on both sides to build momentum, but inevitably it will come down to whether the Gophers can be consistent enough in the running game to keep Morgan out of third-and-long situations. Nix will make enough plays to help Auburn build a lead, and the defense will finish it in the fourth quarter.

Auburn 31, Minnesota 21

Go Gophers!!

Greder chimes in:

Outback Bowl
No. 18 MINNESOTA vs. No. 12 AUBURN, noon, ESPN

The Gophers playing in a respected New Year’s Day bowl is a big deal for the program, but the Tigers will show that the next level is still beyond arm’s reach. The U’s 1-3 finish will stick out in hindsight. Auburn, 30-20

Go Gophers!!

MLive chimes in:

OUTBACK BOWL

MINNESOTA vs. Auburn
  • When: Jan. 1
  • Time: 1 p.m.
  • Where: Tampa, Fla.
  • TV: ESPN | fuboTV
  • Latest line: Minnesota +7.5

The Outback hasn't been too kind to the Big Ten, as the conference is 3-7 in the last decade against the SEC and 12-18 all time in the bowl. P.J. Fleck's Gophers have been fighting the odds all season, and will do so again as a touchdown underdog. Auburn is coming off a win over rival Alabama and is seeking its third 10-win season under Gus Malzahn. The matchup of the Tigers' defense, featuring DT Derrick Brown, against Minnesota's offense should be a fun one. The Gophers held off Penn State's pass rush earlier this season and hit a bunch of big plays through the air. That will be needed again to keep this one close. A reminder that Minnesota was in the Quick Lane Bowl just last year, so this caps quite a season for the Gophers. Auburn 27, Minnesota 20

Go Gophers!!

SI chimes in:

January 1st: Outback Bowl
Minnesota (10-2) vs. Auburn (9-3)

Motivation comes into play in this one as well, but I don't know if that's enough to make up the talent gap. However, the Gophers have a poor man's version of the multi-receiver passing game that lit up this Auburn defense in the Iron Bowl. I also suspect P.J. Fleck will have them rowing the boat for the first 11-win season in modern school history. Nonetheless, after seeing what Auburn did to Purdue in a bowl I thought it wasn't motivated for a year ago, consider me wary.
Auburn 28, Minnesota 24

Go Gophers!!

One word re. Gophers vs Auburn: trepidatiousness.

Athlon chimes in with a more in-depth prediction:

Final Analysis

auburn-tigers.png
Bowl games have become notorious for showcasing a shell of a regular-season team with seniors and draft-eligible juniors looking ahead and playing to not get hurt, if at all. Minnesota’s offense is filled with underclassmen that will return to Minneapolis next season. The majority of Auburn’s offensive line and defense are comprised of seniors. Will those seniors show up to play at a high level or are they already looking ahead? If the Tigers show up, they have more talent at key positions to walk out of Raymond James Stadium with a convincing win.

Prediction: Auburn 36, Minnesota 24

Go Gophers!!

Athlon are the biggest dinks. They’re saying if the Gophers win, Auburn’s senior laden team wasn’t trying. And of course if the Gophers lose, Auburn has a lot more talent. Same old SEC song.

Last edited:

I think this photo is from their awards banquet on 12/15. There’s nothing definitive from this view, but I don’t see any crutches! I’m sure PJ would like his status for the game to to be a secret, so I doubt we’ll even get a hint before game time.

rx0vgs4.png
Could someone list the players’ names from left to right? Would be fun to put a face to the players I cheer for each week.

Could someone list the players’ names from left to right? Would be fun to put a face to the players I cheer for each week.
top row from left to right:
Callahan, Guedet, Sassack, Dunlap, Beier?, Faalele, Smith, Schlueter, Unknown, Olson
kneeling left to right:
Unknown, Dickson, Schmitz, Boe, Ruschmeyer, Cooper

I don't see Andries

Top Bottom