Media Prediction Thread: Minnesota at UCLA

First one to 17 may win the game. Gophers get there in first half

If gophers lose it’s a 17-10 kind of game.

My prediction 24-7 gophers

First one to 17 may win the game. Gophers get there in first half

If gophers lose it’s a 17-10 kind of game.

My prediction 24-7 gophers
I have not had a chance to watch UCLA and I know they have had a tough schedule to this point but they have failed to top 20 points in any games this year (including their lone win over Hawaii where they scored 16). So would like to believe that our defense is good enough to keep them in check.

To me it feels like the magic number is 20. If we can get to that I like our chances of coming away with the victory.

Both writers at Athlon Sports are picking Minnesota to win
Josh Skluzacek is picking the Gophers, 31-10: UCLA hasn’t scored more than 17 points in a game all season; Minnesota has scored at least 14 in every game. If the Gophers are locked in, this game should get ugly quickly.

Tommy Wiita: Gophers 48-17: I think the Golden Gophers keep up the momentum against a UCLA team that hasn't shown much so far this year. The offense may have found its groove going forward and the defense could stifle this UCLA offense. It's almost generous for me to give the Bruins 17 points but the Gophers have been susceptible to big plays and the run game but it'll be all Maroon and Gold at Rose Bowl Stadium on Saturday night.

Fox Sports is predicting a 23-19 victory for Minnesota
The UCLA Bruins (1-4) are 5-point underdogs in a home Big Ten matchup with the Minnesota Golden Gophers (3-3) on Saturday, October 12, 2024 at the Rose Bowl. The Golden Gophers have a 67.3% chance to claim victory in this game per the moneyline's implied probability. The Bruins have a 37.2% implied probability.

Bleacher Report has Minnesota winning the game, 23-16

Both writers at Athlon Sports are picking Minnesota to win
Josh Skluzacek is picking the Gophers, 31-10: UCLA hasn’t scored more than 17 points in a game all season; Minnesota has scored at least 14 in every game. If the Gophers are locked in, this game should get ugly quickly.

Tommy Wiita: Gophers 48-17: I think the Golden Gophers keep up the momentum against a UCLA team that hasn't shown much so far this year. The offense may have found its groove going forward and the defense could stifle this UCLA offense. It's almost generous for me to give the Bruins 17 points but the Gophers have been susceptible to big plays and the run game but it'll be all Maroon and Gold at Rose Bowl Stadium on Saturday night.

Fox Sports is predicting a 23-19 victory for Minnesota
The UCLA Bruins (1-4) are 5-point underdogs in a home Big Ten matchup with the Minnesota Golden Gophers (3-3) on Saturday, October 12, 2024 at the Rose Bowl. The Golden Gophers have a 67.3% chance to claim victory in this game per the moneyline's implied probability. The Bruins have a 37.2% implied probability.

Bleacher Report has Minnesota winning the game, 23-16
Are you sure you read those Athlon bits right? Odd seeing them bullish on the Gophers as usually it seems like it is the opposite. As much as I would love it to be I don't think this game will be overly lopsided but hopefully we can win comfortably so that we can all enjoy our Saturday evening.

Are you sure you read those Athlon bits right? Odd seeing them bullish on the Gophers as usually it seems like it is the opposite. As much as I would love it to be I don't think this game will be overly lopsided but hopefully we can win comfortably so that we can all enjoy our Saturday evening.
I'm just copy and pasting dude, lol. But I was surprised seeing those numbers too. Certainly wouldn't complain if the scores look like that Saturday night, though.

Upsetting USC was an eye-opener for those folks, I guess.

It just feels to me like this team woke up in the second half of the Michigan game and haven't gone back to bed yet.

Can we continue to work on "our" vertical attack? Maybe this game will give us some opportunities?
Looks like an opportunity that the squad should take full advantage to work on all areas.

UCLA Total Defense is ranked 94th, UCLA Scoring Defense ranked 99th (tie). UCLA Scoring Offense ranked 130 and is averaging 14 points per game.

Last edited:

I thought we played UCLA back in the 80's. I was certain of it. Troy Aikman barely beating us....Well, I was wrong. Aikman transferred from UCLA to Oklahoma. 13-7 in 1985 and then 63-0 in 1986.

Actually, Troy Aikman transferred from Oklahoma to UCLA. He played for OU in 1984 and 1985. He played for UCLA in 1987 and 1988.

So Aikman beat us in the season opener in 1985. He got hurt a few games later and true freshman Jamelle Holieway went on to lead the Sooners to the national title. Holieway never looked back and Aikman transferred to UCLA. He made the right decision, coming out of UCLA as the No. 1 overall pick in the 1989 NFL draft.

Actually, Troy Aikman transferred from Oklahoma to UCLA. He played for OU in 1984 and 1985. He played for UCLA in 1987 and 1988.

So Aikman beat us in the season opener in 1985. He got hurt a few games later and true freshman Jamelle Holieway went on to lead the Sooners to the national title. Holieway never looked back and Aikman transferred to UCLA. He made the right decision, coming out of UCLA as the No. 1 overall pick in the 1989 NFL draft.
I stand corrected a second time.

The Star Tribune is backing Minnesota, 27-16
UCLA hung around last week at Penn State, trailing 7-3 late in the second quarter before the Nittany Lions scored a TD just before halftime. The Bruins lost 27-11, not scoring their TD until 16 seconds remained. The Gophers should expect a strong effort from the Bruins, who see this game as winnable. Minnesota has more playmakers — Brosmer, Taylor, Daniel Jackson, Jah Joyner and Perich — and look for that talent to wear down UCLA in the second half.

By beating USC, the Gophers put themselves back on track to reach a bowl game. Though they have been inconsistent this season, they will be focused enough to win.

The Pioneer Press is picking Minnesota to win 28-13
Minnesota Offense Vs. UCLA Defense: QB Max Brosmer has been locked in after halftime against Michigan and USC in the last two weeks and there will be more opportunities against a UCLA defense that is 124th in the nation against the pass. Edge: Gophers

Minnesota Defense Vs. UCLA Offense: The Gophers’ top-ranked pass defense rank seemed over inflated give the competition through five weeks, but USC’s higher quality air attack was helped in check with only 200 yards, no plays over 20 yards and QB Miller Moss intercepted twice. Edge: Gophers

Prediction: The Gophers have a veteran team that should be able to not get caught up in the elation of a big upset win last week and take care of business despite a spate of injuries on the defensive side of the ball.

Gopher Illustrated (247 Sports) is predicting a 24-16 Minnesota victory
If Minnesota's offensive line comes to play again, I feel really good about the Gophers' chances. If the Gophers can't stop the run, this game will be interesting.

But a late Jameson Geers touchdown puts Minnesota up two scores, and Gopher fans head into the bye week as an above .500 team.

Wow, I have a poor memory. I thought Aikman got hurt/ replaced during the Gopher game.

Go Joe Bruin first out of the gate with a late spring prediction:

Week 7: UCLA hosts Minnesota​

Saturday, Oct 12

The history between these two football programs: The Bruins and the Golden Gophers have only played one another in football only three times and the last time they faced off against each other was in 1978. Minnesota leads UCLA all-time with a 2-1 record.

The last time Minnesota and UCLA played one another: The last time that the Golden Gophers and the Bruins played one another in football was in the late '70s when UCLA hosted Minnesota and won by a final score of 17-3.

Where do both teams rank in the 2024 College Football Rankings 1 To 134 according to collegefootballnews.com: Minnesota is ranked No. 42, while UCLA is ranked No. 31.

Game Prediction: UCLA wins at home and defeats Minnesota by a final score of 31-14.

Go Gophers!!

Posting that one isn't quite fair. That was made by a fan blogger well before the season started.

Posting that one isn't quite fair. That was made by a fan blogger well before the season started.
A lot of team-centric coverage these days comes from blogs. Fansided, 247 Sports, Rivals, SB Nation, even Sports Illustrated has a blog centered section. The quality can vary but some are pretty good.

A lot of team-centric coverage these days comes from blogs. Fansided, 247 Sports, Rivals, SB Nation, even Sports Illustrated has a blog centered section. The quality can vary but some are pretty good.
It is all over the map in terms of quality. Agree that some of it is really good but a lot of it is ridiculously biased to a point where it is almost unreadable.

He posted it may 28....not like he was trying to deceive anyone.

No, but he probably didn't think that UCLA would start the season at 1-4 despite the tough schedule. I really doubt he thought that UCLA would lose to Indiana by 29 points. I suspect he would be less bullish in predicting games now.

I'm just saying. All these other predictions were made very recently.

UCLAs pass defense is horrible.

Well, I don't know what constitutes "horrible" but they are ranked currently at #88 in yards per pass allowed at 7.57 per attempt (We are #3 nationally at 4.56 per attempt). That's not good but there are worse teams - like Purdue for example at 8.74 yards per attempt.

The worst team in the country currently is Ball State at 9.98 yards per attempt, so on average you can get a first down whenever you pass against them.

Our boys should win this game. It comes down to how the team responds to last weeks euphoria and how long that went on. If this team thinks they get down there and kick their ass, we will be in trouble. Having a winning attitude is great but UCLA has been told they suck and they know the Gopher fan base will be there and will be motivated. We get there and start with the basica and try to set the tone up front.

Well, I don't know what constitutes "horrible" but they are ranked currently at #88 in yards per pass allowed at 7.57 per attempt (We are #3 nationally at 4.56 per attempt). That's not good but there are worse teams - like Purdue for example at 8.74 yards per attempt.

The worst team in the country currently is Ball State at 9.98 yards per attempt, so on average you can get a first down whenever you pass against them.
UCLA Total Defense is ranked 94th, UCLA Scoring Defense is ranked 99th (tie).

Top Bottom