Media Prediction Thread: Minnesota at UCLA

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Go Joe Bruin first out of the gate with a late spring prediction:

Week 7: UCLA hosts Minnesota​

Saturday, Oct 12

The history between these two football programs: The Bruins and the Golden Gophers have only played one another in football only three times and the last time they faced off against each other was in 1978. Minnesota leads UCLA all-time with a 2-1 record.

The last time Minnesota and UCLA played one another: The last time that the Golden Gophers and the Bruins played one another in football was in the late '70s when UCLA hosted Minnesota and won by a final score of 17-3.

Where do both teams rank in the 2024 College Football Rankings 1 To 134 according to collegefootballnews.com: Minnesota is ranked No. 42, while UCLA is ranked No. 31.

Game Prediction: UCLA wins at home and defeats Minnesota by a final score of 31-14.

Go Gophers!!

Go Joe Bruin first out of the gate with a late spring prediction:

Week 7: UCLA hosts Minnesota​

Saturday, Oct 12

The history between these two football programs: The Bruins and the Golden Gophers have only played one another in football only three times and the last time they faced off against each other was in 1978. Minnesota leads UCLA all-time with a 2-1 record.

The last time Minnesota and UCLA played one another: The last time that the Golden Gophers and the Bruins played one another in football was in the late '70s when UCLA hosted Minnesota and won by a final score of 17-3.

Where do both teams rank in the 2024 College Football Rankings 1 To 134 according to collegefootballnews.com: Minnesota is ranked No. 42, while UCLA is ranked No. 31.

Game Prediction: UCLA wins at home and defeats Minnesota by a final score of 31-14.

Go Gophers!!
pfft-whatever.gif

I'd say if the Gophers lose to UCLA it will be a long season.
The Gophers are not going undefeated this season but they certainly as hell are not losing to UCLA. The whole vibe around Gopher football is different this year...so many people are looking forward to this season and everyone has a lot of realistic optimism.

I bet that Fleck will have this game circled with all the noise about Fleck + UCLA this year.

Also, this is a UCLA team with a first time head coach that just lost Chip Kelly who runs a very unique set of systems. I just cannot imagine that they’re going to be world beaters this year but who knows.

They do have a new coach, but they also did win 8 games last year and it’s on the road. Not sure how we can consider this game a cake walk after getting housed by Purdue last year.

They do have a new coach, but they also did win 8 games last year and it’s on the road. Not sure how we can consider this game a cake walk after getting housed by Purdue last year.
Sorry, yeah to be clear. My 'System II' thought is that the Gophers will lose: https://gopherhole.com/boards/threads/sp-implied-lines-2024-minnesota.114950/#post-2941017

My 'System I' thought is that Athan Kaliakmanis was most of the problem with the Gopher offense last year and trying to transition away from Chip Kelly's offense is going to be very painful.

Just my gut feeling, I'll take the gophers in this one. They play LSU on the road, Oregon at home, then travel to Penn St. the three weeks before hosting the gophers, I suspect they will be pretty beaten up by the time Minnesota comes to town.
That's a gauntlet.

I'd say the Gophers' big test is beating UCLA.

It is going to take getting used to the new Big Ten. The Gophers will adapt.

IMHO, it opens Gopher recruiting opportunities on the West Coast. We have a 2025 CA commit in Jackson Kollock from Laguna Beach. That is a start.

Hopefully, more CA athletes will start picking the Big Ten over the SEC. The big elephant in the room is the NIL money.

I'd say the Gophers' big test is beating UCLA.

It is going to take getting used to the new Big Ten. The Gophers will adapt.

IMHO, it opens Gopher recruiting opportunities on the West Coast. We have a 2025 CA commit in Jackson Kollock from Laguna Beach. That is a start.

Hopefully, more CA athletes will start picking the Big Ten over the SEC. The big elephant in the room is the NIL money.
They already are picking up the Calif talent, USC, UCLA, Wash and Oregon all probably have between 30-50 athletes from Calif... :)

Just my gut feeling, I'll take the gophers in this one. They play LSU on the road, Oregon at home, then travel to Penn St. the three weeks before hosting the gophers, I suspect they will be pretty beaten up by the time Minnesota comes to town.
Beaten up in terms of losing confidence by losing games, or beaten up as in injured? I do not have data to support this but it seems several Gophers have been injured in non-conference games by lesser competition (Middle Tennessee, etc).

Beaten up in terms of losing confidence by losing games, or beaten up as in injured? I do not have data to support this but it seems several Gophers have been injured in non-conference games by lesser competition (Middle Tennessee, etc).
Physically worn out... Lots of banged up players trying to play through injuries. That's what I mean. Plus, the mental of probably being on a three game losing streak.

Top Bottom