Media Prediction Thread: Minnesota at Michigan State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Spartan Nation first out of the gate:

Sept. 24 — vs. Minnesota Golden Gophers​

The Spartans open Big Ten play with a tough cross-divisional opponent in Minnesota. The Golden Gophers had nice wins over Wisconsin, Purdue and West Virginia, but also had an inexplicable loss to Bowling Green, on their way to a 9-4 record in 2021.

Minnesota is 35-23 record in five seasons under head coach PJ Fleck, including an 11-2 campaign in 2019. The Gophers are well-coached and will play a factor in the Big Ten West division race. This is an "upset-alert" game for Michigan State, but the game being played in Spartan Stadium will prove the difference. Score prediction: Michigan State 27, Minnesota 24

Go Gophers!!

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who told a guy that Michigan State was going to have a dumpster fire in 2022. Is that a prediction or just a forwarding of fact?

Did I miss spring ball, the summer, along with fall preparation before the season started in 2022?

*Past performance is no indication of future results.

Sparty has some big shoes to fill losing Walker to the NFL. Gophers defense is going to be stout so I don't see them scoring anywhere near this prediction.

This is a great game to play. They’ll be unbeaten and rated highly even though nobody will have any idea if they are good yet

Gophers aren't afraid of travel ya dink, especially to a dump like east Lansing. Gophers by 10.

Michigan State was over-rated last year. Minnesota was under-rated. Bowling Green, yada yada yada. Minnesota has more talent coming back and a better game coach. Gophers 24 Sparty 14.

*Past performance is no indication of future results.

Sparty has some big shoes to fill losing Walker to the NFL. Gophers defense is going to be stout so I don't see them scoring anywhere near this prediction.
MSU was a tough team to get a read on this year and I think is a massive tossup next year as to how good they will actually be. They got very luck with Walker coming from the portal, they were good but never great and were very overrated at times last season.

MSU was a tough team to get a read on this year and I think is a massive tossup next year as to how good they will actually be. They got very luck with Walker coming from the portal, they were good but never great and were very overrated at times last season.
Agreed

It's basically a cut-and-paste analysis gleaned from a quick scan of the 2021 results on ESPN.com and a look back at PJ Fleck's Wikipedia page.

Then a standard take when two teams were fairly similar the year before but the game is at MSU, and arrives at one of the most mathematically typical final scores possible.

Gotta keep the page views up during a long offseason.

Looks like we just missed the list. Think our scholarship number is 15 as at least one of the guys in the portal for us is a non-scholarship player.

Not surprising to see this though as teams have to get their scholarship numbers back to 85 after being able to carry a higher number last year.

Looks like we just missed the list. Think our scholarship number is 15 as at least one of the guys in the portal for us is a non-scholarship player.

Not surprising to see this though as teams have to get their scholarship numbers back to 85 after being able to carry a higher number last year.
Numbers are insane

strong systems will be able to sustain that amount of player turnover and not skip a beat. Will be interesting to see if Tucker’s program does.

I thought all the "extra" guys were one-and-done "super seniors", though? IE, guys who would've ended their eligibility in 2020.

Could be wrong.

I thought all the "extra" guys were one-and-done "super seniors", though? IE, guys who would've ended their eligibility in 2020.

Could be wrong.
Don't remember all the ins and outs but I think they allowed teams to carry as many scholarship guys as they wanted to last year, didn't just have to be super seniors. If you look at our situation, we only had 11 guys leave through graduation, so we were going to need a bunch of other players to go in order to get to 85 while still bringing in a close to normal sized recruiting class and a bunch of transfers.

Sure there are a number of other teams dealing with similar issues of needing to lose dead weight in order to get back down to 85 while still bringing in a decent sized 2022 recruiting class.

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who told a guy that Michigan State was going to have a dumpster fire in 2022. Is that a prediction or just a forwarding of fact?
Fact, .500 at best. We will hammer them. They will wonder why they paid the man so much without really showing anything but a one hit wonder.

Fact, .500 at best. We will hammer them. They will wonder why they paid the man so much without really showing anything but a one hit wonder.
It will be interesting to see how Tucker's run goes there. They invested a ton of money based on very little success so the pressure will be really high on him to justify the amount of money they gave him.

Mich St, for as tough as they have it having to play Mich, Ohio St, and Penn St every year, average around 80k fans per game when they're doing well.

Their program is fairly similar to a Wisconsin level, in that sense. Just don't have the wins because they have to play those three every year.

Top Bottom