• Wolverines

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Wolverines Wire is first out of the gate:

Michigan 28 – Minnesota 24.
The Golden Gophers are on the right track as P.J. Fleck proved in 2019. And Michigan often struggles on the road. However, the Wolverines have just a little more firepower, though Tanner Morgan will give the maize and blue fits from time to time.

Go Gophers!!

They've got Meatchicken going 11-0 until they lose to Ohio State in the season finale.
The season prognostication written by a U of Mich. alum, whose last name just happens to be Hole.

They've got Meatchicken going 11-0 until they lose to Ohio State in the season finale.
The season prognostication written by a U of Mich. alum, whose last name just happens to be Hole.
His first name should be Allen or anything starting with A. Clearly this person is a DINK!!!!!!!!!!

Not a great situation that the Gophers will be coming off a rivalry game against Wisconsin, although Mich is also coming off their MSU game.

Wolverines had 10 players drafted last month and they lost 4 of 5 starting OL and a multi-year starting QB. Kinda wish the Gophers were playing them a little earlier in that situation but it is what it is.

It'll be a tough game either way, with a lot depending on the outcomes for each team in their previous week's rivalry game and how beat up they are after that.

Hard to predict all these games so far out in advance. We'll see what happens but I'd give the Gophers the edge.

Not a great situation that the Gophers will be coming off a rivalry game against Wisconsin, although Mich is also coming off their MSU game.

Wolverines had 10 players drafted last month and they lost 4 of 5 starting OL and a multi-year starting QB. Kinda wish the Gophers were playing them a little earlier in that situation but it is what it is.

It'll be a tough game either way, with a lot depending on the outcomes for each team in their previous week's rivalry game and how beat up they are after that.
Not sure the red menace and MSU are good comparisons at this point. Sparty looks to have slipped a couple notches recently!

I'm hoping for the scenario where going into the Michigan game we have the Axe, Floyd, The Broken Bits of Chair, and The Bell...I'd imagine the players would be fired up to get The Jug to complete the trophy case...

It’s certainly not an automatic win. But the analysis of Michigan having more firepower is flat out wrong.
If Michigan wins it’s because in spite of having inferior firepower their defense is that much better than Minnesota’s.

Isaiass Hole. Couldn't think openly if his life depended on it.

I would think the Wise Guys in the desert, would have the line at Michigan -1

Wolverine Digest chimes in:

The Minnesota game is really tricky. They'll be the home team and their offense is explosive with Big Ten Player of the Year candidates Tanner Morgan at quarterback and Rashod Bateman at wide receiver. Still, it's Minnesota. I know they won 11 games last year, but I just can't see U-M losing to them. Not yet. Chalk it up as a W.

Go Gophers!!

Hope a season happens! I bought tickets to see this game already back in February !! Im
Ready!! Let’s gooo!! Hate Michigan!

Wolverine Digest chimes in:

The Minnesota game is really tricky. They'll be the home team and their offense is explosive with Big Ten Player of the Year candidates Tanner Morgan at quarterback and Rashod Bateman at wide receiver. Still, it's Minnesota. I know they won 11 games last year, but I just can't see U-M losing to them. Not yet. Chalk it up as a W.

Go Gophers!!
The arrogance of this pisses me off, but given our history against them over the last five or six decades, I can't really blame them for feeling that way.

Figured I'd get this started. I know we're still over 3 weeks out but I'm excited for the season to start.

I am going to put each different source in it's own post so it can be replied to directly rather than part of a huge first post. Feel free to add more as they come!

clickondetroit.com predicts Michigan will lose, posted Sept 21, 2020:
Minnesota
Last season: 11-2 (beat Auburn in Outback Bowl)

Game details: Oct. 24 at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota

Michigan hasn’t had much success against top-tier quarterbacks under Harbaugh. The Wolverines have a couple of wins against Trace McSorley and one each against Nate Stanley and Ian Book. Not the most impressive list.

Tanner Morgan might be the best quarterback not wearing an Ohio State jersey Michigan has seen in this era. Last year, what he did for Minnesota was better than any season by a quarterback in Michigan history.

Morgan threw for 3,253 yards, 30 touchdowns and seven interceptions while completing 66% of his passes for an average of 10.2 yards per attempt last season. The only Michigan quarterback to throw for more yards in a season was John Navarre in 2003, and he was much worse than Morgan in touchdowns (24), interceptions (10), completion percentage (59.2%) and yards per attempt (7.3).

On the other sideline, Michigan will get its first look at Joe Milton as QB1. While reports out of camp are positive, and he obviously has the talent to be the best quarterback of the Harbaugh era, nobody really knows what to expect from a first-time starter.

The fact that his first start comes on the road against a team that won 11 games last season is enough for me to lean toward the team with an established star at quarterback.

Prediction: Loss, 27-21

collegefootballnews.com predicts a Gopher win, posted Sept 21, 2020:
2020 Minnesota Football Schedule Prediction
2020 Preseason Prediction: 6-2
2019 Preseason Prediction: 8-4
2019: 11-2, 2018: 7-6
2020 Minnesota Preview

Oct. 24 Michigan W
Oct. 31 at Maryland W
Nov. 7 at Illinois W
Nov. 14 Iowa W
Nov. 21 Purdue W
Nov. 28 at Wisconsin L
Dec. 5 Northwestern W
Dec. 12 at Nebraska L

Missed:
Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers

https://gbmwolverine.com/ predicts a Michigan Win, posted Sept 24, 2020:
Michigan at Minnesota (W)
The Wolverines will open the season at Minnesota, against the Gophers, who are viewed as one of the toughest teams in the West. Tanner Morgan is one of the best quarterbacks returning in the conference, however, Minnesota lost Rashod Bateman, who opted out and is also without multiple starters on the offensive line, as well as a number of key defenders.

This game should also be easier since Minnesota won’t be able to have fans. Michigan is the more talented team and even though it will be Milton’s first start, the running game and defense will carry the Wolverines to a win.

fansided.com predicts a Michigan Loss, as well as a week 9 rematch loss, posted Sept 19, 2020:
Updated 2020 Michigan football season schedule
  • Week 1 (Oct. 24): at Minnesota Golden Gophers (Minneapolis, MN)
  • Week 2 (Oct. 31): vs. Michigan State Spartans (Ann Arbor, MI)
  • Week 3 (Nov. 7): at Indiana Hoosiers (Bloomington, IN)
  • Week 4 (Nov. 14): vs. Wisconsin Badgers (Ann Arbor, MI)
  • Week 5 (Nov. 21): at Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Piscataway, NJ)
  • Week 6 (Nov. 28): vs. Penn State Nittany Lions (Ann Arbor, MI)
  • Week 7 (Dec. 5): vs. Maryland Terrapins (Ann Arbor, MI)
  • Week 8 (Dec. 12): at Ohio State Buckeyes (Columbus, OH)
Bold indicates a Michigan football victory

With the way it shakes out, Michigan will have a solid regular season, but one that is unfortunately bookended by a pair of road losses to fellow playoff-contending teams. The Week 1 road defeat to Minnesota will be a tone-setter for both teams’ seasons. While Michigan beats Wisconsin and the Penn State Nittany Lions at home, the losing will continue vs. the Ohio State Buckeyes.

This is why winning in Minneapolis is so darn important. If the Wolverines can do that, they may have enough momentum to go into The Horseshoe and upset the Big Ten favorite Buckeyes in mid-December. However, having to play arguably the four best teams in the conference in an eight-game slate is typically way too brutal for even a quality Michigan team to possibly navigate.

Projected Week 9 competitive balance game matchup
  • 2: Michigan Wolverines (6-2) at Minnesota Golden Gophers (7-1) (Minneapolis, MN)
Again, this will be another brutal game on the Wolverines’ schedule. They’ll have to go back to Minneapolis to take on the same Golden Gophers team who beat them there back in Week 1. It’ll be so ridiculously cold, but the home team will have an advantage, as the Golden Gophers are still playing for a New Year’s Six bowl big at 7-1. Michigan may be good, but Minnesota will be better.

There is no high quality team in the Big Ten with as brutal of a gauntlet as what Michigan faces.

Derick chimes in:

Minnesota

Michigan hasn’t had much success against top-tier quarterbacks under Harbaugh. The Wolverines have a couple of wins against Trace McSorley and one each against Nate Stanley and Ian Book. Not the most impressive list.

Tanner Morgan might be the best quarterback not wearing an Ohio State jersey Michigan has seen in this era. Last year, what he did for Minnesota was better than any season by a quarterback in Michigan history.

Morgan threw for 3,253 yards, 30 touchdowns and seven interceptions while completing 66% of his passes for an average of 10.2 yards per attempt last season. The only Michigan quarterback to throw for more yards in a season was John Navarre in 2003, and he was much worse than Morgan in touchdowns (24), interceptions (10), completion percentage (59.2%) and yards per attempt (7.3).

On the other sideline, Michigan will get its first look at Joe Milton as QB1. While reports out of camp are positive, and he obviously has the talent to be the best quarterback of the Harbaugh era, nobody really knows what to expect from a first-time starter.

The fact that his first start comes on the road against a team that won 11 games last season is enough for me to lean toward the team with an established star at quarterback.

Go Gophers!!

Derick chimes in:

Minnesota

Go Gophers!!
"Not a Dink" status is confirmed.

fansided.com predicts a Michigan Loss, as well as a week 9 rematch loss, posted Sept 19, 2020:

I especially like this write-up:

With the way it shakes out, Michigan will have a solid regular season, but one that is unfortunately bookended by a pair of road losses to fellow playoff-contending teams. The Week 1 road defeat to Minnesota will be a tone-setter for both teams’ seasons. While Michigan beats Wisconsin and the Penn State Nittany Lions at home, the losing will continue vs. the Ohio State Buckeyes.

This is why winning in Minneapolis is so darn important. If the Wolverines can do that, they may have enough momentum to go into The Horseshoe and upset the Big Ten favorite Buckeyes in mid-December. However, having to play arguably the four best teams in the conference in an eight-game slate is typically way too brutal for even a quality Michigan team to possibly navigate.

Projected Week 9 competitive balance game matchup
  • 2: Michigan Wolverines (6-2) at Minnesota Golden Gophers (7-1) (Minneapolis, MN)
Again, this will be another brutal game on the Wolverines’ schedule. They’ll have to go back to Minneapolis to take on the same Golden Gophers team who beat them there back in Week 1. It’ll be so ridiculously cold, but the home team will have an advantage, as the Golden Gophers are still playing for a New Year’s Six bowl big at 7-1. Michigan may be good, but Minnesota will be better.

There is no high quality team in the Big Ten with as brutal of a gauntlet as what Michigan faces.

I especially like this write-up:

" It’ll be so ridiculously cold"

Is it just me or is everyone sick of this weather BS in Minnesota? The average high temp in Minneapolis is 33F on Dec 1st to 24F on Dec 31st. I don't think that is ridiculously cold.

Is it just me or is everyone sick of this weather BS in Minnesota? The average high temp in Minneapolis is 33F on Dec 1st to 24F on Dec 31st. I don't think that is ridiculously cold.

This is an extremely Minnesotan take. I agree with you, but most people in the country would say something along the lines of, "yes, that is RIDICULOUSLY cold!" For example, a quick scan of my adopted city suggests that the coldest single day in Philly this past year had a high of 29 F.

This is an extremely Minnesotan take. I agree with you, but most people in the country would say something along the lines of, "yes, that is RIDICULOUSLY cold!" For example, a quick scan of my adopted city suggests that the coldest single day in Philly this past year had a high of 29 F.
Sure if you live in Florida. But it gets plenty cold in most B1G cities. My point is is that they would never say that about Madison.

They hear about the temperatures in International Falls or something and they freak out.

The great thing about the Gophers playing this year at the Bank is that the mid-field logo can stand for either Minnesota or Winter depending on your seat. 🥶

Regular Season
DATEOPPONENTRESULTW-L (CONF)HI PASSHI RUSHHI REC
Sat, Aug 31vsMiddle TennesseeMiddle TennesseeW40-211-0 (0-0)Patterson 203Charbonnet 90Black 80
Sat, Sep 7vsArmyArmyW24-21 2OT2-0 (0-0)Patterson 207Charbonnet 100Bell 81
Sat, Sep 21@Wisconsin13 WisconsinL35-142-1 (0-1)Patterson 219McCaffrey 21Bell 81
Sat, Sep 28vsRutgersRutgersW52-03-1 (1-1)Patterson 276Turner 48Bell 83
Sat, Oct 5vsIowa14 IowaW10-34-1 (2-1)Patterson 147Charbonnet 42Collins 63
Sat, Oct 12@IllinoisIllinoisW42-255-1 (3-1)Patterson 194Haskins 125Bell 98
Sat, Oct 19@Penn State7 Penn StateL28-215-2 (3-2)Patterson 276Charbonnet 81Collins 89
Sat, Oct 26vsNotre Dame8 Notre DameW45-146-2 (3-2)Patterson 100Haskins 149Sainristil 73
Sat, Nov 2@MarylandMarylandW38-77-2 (4-2)Patterson 151Haskins 60Collins 65
Sat, Nov 16vsMichigan StateMichigan StateW44-108-2 (5-2)Patterson 384Jackson 32Bell 150
Sat, Nov 23@IndianaIndianaW39-149-2 (6-2)Patterson 366Charbonnet 46Collins 165
Sat, Nov 30vsOhio State1 Ohio StateL56-279-3 (6-3)Patterson 305Haskins 78Bell 78
DATEOPPONENTRESULTW-L (CONF)HI PASSHI RUSHHI REC

Yes the Wolverines went 9-3 last year in their regular season schedule. Still look at the Army game where the Wolverines had to go into double overtime to beat Army. Army is good but no super power.

Iowa and Penn could gone either way. The Wolverines could have gone 6-6 but they didn't. They are ranked #24 mostly on last years 9-3 season. This is 2020 and they will have to prove that they are better than the GOPHERS THIS YEAR! I'll take the GOPHERS by a TD!

TALON

Calling Minnesota ridiculously cold, when comparing to Ann Arbor as the alternative, is ridiculous.

Avearge high here for December 19 is 26. Ann Arbor is 34. Both are cold.

I have posted this here before, but here's some temperature data for Big Ten cities.

Capture.jpg

Top Bottom