Media Prediction Thread: Iowa at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score

College Football News

Why Minnesota Will Win

Own the clock. Iowa has been a nightmare in terms of time of possession, keeping the ball for under 22 minutes per game. Mitch Leidner is doing what Beathard isn’t, hitting the third down throws and getting enough of a ground game. Minnesota isn’t having any sort of a problem moving the offense.

Iowa’s defensive front isn’t getting gashed, but it’s not coming up with enough good stops on first downs allowing around 200 rushing yards per game over the last three.

At home, between the 1-2 punch of Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith – each hit the 100-yard mark against Penn State – and the mobility of calmness of Leidner, the Gophers should be in control of the tempo throughout.

What’s Going To Happen?

Minnesota will bounce back after giving one away in Happy Valley.

Iowa just isn’t playing well enough right now to handle a team with a strong ground game and solid enough defense to get by.

Iowa has won three of the last four, and Minneapolis can be Iowa City North with the fan invasion, but Leidner will outplay Beathard and the Gopher lines will be better.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/iowa-minnesota-game-preview-prediction-line-tv

Leidner will outplay Beathard - this happens i will not post on this board the rest of Oct. book it. lotta variables so let's just go with passing yards. either way i win- ML plays well and we win or i get a month off of miseryposts.

Leidner will outplay Beathard - this happens i will not post on this board the rest of Oct. book it. lotta variables so let's just go with passing yards. either way i win- ML plays well and we win or i get a month off of miseryposts.

Can you take off October just based on 2014 and 2015?

2015 in Iowa City
Leidner: 19-27-0 (70.4%), 259 yds, 1 TD
Beathard: 18-26-0 (69.2%), 213 yds, 0 TD

2014 at TCF
Leidner: 10-13-0 (76.9%), 138 yds, 4 TDs
Beathard: 3-7-0 (42.9%), 32 yds, 1 TD

How about ESPN QBR as it accounts for many other ways QB's win games.

no matter what happens, wait!what? will cherry-pick some stat in order to claim that Beathard "outplayed" Leidner. book it.

Mitch has played well in every game this year. He hasn't been the problem. Our porous defense has...

How about ESPN QBR as it accounts for many other ways QB's win games.

Agree, of all the stats that you could pick to compare QB's, passing yardage is one of the worst. In Minnesota and Iowa you have two teams that would much rather run then pass so the team that builds a lead will lean heavily on their running game meaning that QB will not pick up much in passing yards.

Agree, of all the stats that you could pick to compare QB's, passing yardage is one of the worst. In Minnesota and Iowa you have two teams that would much rather run then pass so the team that builds a lead will lean heavily on their running game meaning that QB will not pick up much in passing yards.

Well, I've seen that stat used many times on GH to support the legend that is AW8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 in Iowa City

2014 at TCF

I say he should take the remainder of the season off, just based on 2014 and 2015!

2015 in Iowa City

2014 at TCF

You can't blame 2014 on Beathard. Jake Rudock was their starter then. Beathard wasn't put in the game until it was out of reach.

While I think Beathard is a pretty good QB, I think much of his reputation rests on Iowa's very good season last year when everything seemed to be clicking for them (and they had an easy schedule). Under more adversity this year, he doesn't look quite the same. My guess is that he will pass for more yardage in the game than Leidner but that may be because he has to. That was a big part of Leidner's edge in last year's game. Iowa was racking up significantly more yards on the ground during that game.

Mitch has played well in every game this year. He hasn't been the problem. Our porous defense has...

Exactly. Our passing defense has been amazingly weak.

You can't blame 2014 on Beathard. Jake Rudock was their starter then. Beathard wasn't put in the game until it was out of reach.

Leidner outplayed Beathard twice. No blame was mentioned.

Exactly. Our passing defense has been amazingly weak.

Same old story. No pressure on the QB makes for a bad passing defense. So does everybody heading downfield following receivers and not looking back to see if an RB or QB is starting to run with the ball.

Same old story. No pressure on the QB makes for a bad passing defense. So does everybody heading downfield following receivers and not looking back to see if an RB or QB is starting to run with the ball.

Except that has not been the same old story around here in recent years. With the outstanding play in the secondary our lack of pass rush hasn't hurt us nearly as much as in theory it should have. The problem we have seen to this point in the season is that the secondary has clearly taken a predictable step back given who we lost and the pass rush hasn't really improved, leading to teams being able to pick us apart some in the passing game and getting more explosive plays.

Except that has not been the same old story around here in recent years. With the outstanding play in the secondary our lack of pass rush hasn't hurt us nearly as much as in theory it should have. The problem we have seen to this point in the season is that the secondary has clearly taken a predictable step back given who we lost and the pass rush hasn't really improved, leading to teams being able to pick us apart some in the passing game and getting more explosive plays.

This.

The D-Backfield was better last year but the D overall gave up a lot of yards. Not sure how the 3rd Down conversions compare.
What the Gophers were REALLY good at was tackles for loss and they had, overall, a more productive Passing Game than their opponents. Maybe that was because their opponents were so good rushing the ball against the Gophers.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2015-2016/teamstat.html

Well, I've seen that stat used many times on GH to support the legend that is AW8.

I'm sure it's not the perfect stat, but it's at least a well-rounded look at the QB instead of just one line like yards or passing touchdowns.

I'm sure it's not the perfect stat, but it's at least a well-rounded look at the QB instead of just one line like yards or passing touchdowns.

I was referring to passing Yards. I think we are in agreement here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Athlons chimes in:

Final Analysis

The loser of this game has a serious uphill battle in the Big Ten West from here on out. You get the sense that the Hawkeyes have lost a lot of their confidence over the last couple of weeks. I see them giving up a couple of scores early and pressing the rest of the way. That'll lead to a couple of turnovers and short fields for Mitch Leidner and the Gopher offense — allowing Minnesota to stretch the lead. The home crowd, the morale and the outlook for both teams moving forward all are likely to play significant roles in the outcome of this one. Those all favor Minnesota at this point, and the score at the end will likely be a reflection of that.

Prediction: Minnesota 30, Iowa 13

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...ta-golden-gophers-preview-and-prediction-2016

Go Gophers!!

Athlons chimes in:

Final Analysis

The loser of this game has a serious uphill battle in the Big Ten West from here on out. You get the sense that the Hawkeyes have lost a lot of their confidence over the last couple of weeks. I see them giving up a couple of scores early and pressing the rest of the way. That'll lead to a couple of turnovers and short fields for Mitch Leidner and the Gopher offense — allowing Minnesota to stretch the lead. The home crowd, the morale and the outlook for both teams moving forward all are likely to play significant roles in the outcome of this one. Those all favor Minnesota at this point, and the score at the end will likely be a reflection of that.

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...ta-golden-gophers-preview-and-prediction-2016

Go Gophers!!

This board has always loved Athlon!!! Smartest publication out there.

Athlons chimes in:

Final Analysis

Go Gophers!!

Athalon picks us- as sure a sign as there is that the apocalypse is upon us or that it's snowing in hell.

Top Bottom