Media Following GopherHole

Duluthguy

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread, but thought it might deserve its own. About an hour after there was speculation on GH that Maturi was on a private jet headed to Philly, I heard it on the radio, and they were basically treating it as fact. I've also noticed that when guys post links here with some shread of information that it can sometimes quickly appear on blogs, tweets, etc. Kind of funny, they read us, write about what they read and then we read them thinking they know more than we do. Just keep that in mind next time you read a report that says "word is..." or something to that effect.

One good thing about the search taking so long is that it is helping to expose the media. Usually a search takes maybe 2-3 weeks, so they can throw out stuff that's quickly forgotten when the coach is hired. In this case, it's gone on so long that we're in the position to say,"Wait a minute, you said something different last week." As time has gone on GHers have become much more skeptical of what they read or hear. At least we're learning something from all of this.

I had speculated that the media is merely reflecting back what people are posting on message boards. Perhaps not directly, but people talk, and eventually that rumor passes through a "trusted source". The question shouldn't be why GHers were trying to figure out where Maturi was, the question should have been why wasn't the media trying to figure out where Maturi was.

They use message boards as one of thier "sources". they use this one as well as Gopher Puck Live for hockey info. I have seen posts in Shooters column word for word out of GPL. They look everywhere for info in their race to be first. Remember, todays medias first prioity is to be first with breaking news, second is to be accurate. There was a day when it was respected to be first in breaking a story, it gave that reporter credability. But with todays internet, twitter, facebook, it is hard to say when someone breaks it first, and I really dont think anyone cares who gave the info first, just as long as it is accurate. So far each media member has had so many different reports on this coach and that coach, I bet they even have a hard time remembering which report is their own.

I remember when Kelly Leeks "died". KFAN was reporting it and I Dan Cole was moved to tears.

I think it is pretty safe to assume this is where KFAN has gotten all of their info.

Lazy Journalism.

They have no idea who is behind our monikers.

It just goes to show that GopherHole is the most reliable source of accurate information available anywhere in this day and age. :confused:

The most sensible conclusions are that the search is taking longer than you'd expect and that probably means no inactive or semi-retired coaches are in the picture - otherwise, they'd have been annointed weeks ago and would now be out recruiting.

It just goes to show that GopherHole is the most reliable source of accurate information available anywhere in this day and age. :confused:

Some people call us the weather channel... right every once in a while, but a good idea as to the direction of the what is going on.

And like the Weather Channel we are giving out information 24 hours a day.

I saw a few of the MPS media guys in the Walmart parking lot in Moorhead last week. They must be reading.

The most sensible conclusions are that the search is taking longer than you'd expect and that probably means no inactive or semi-retired coaches are in the picture - otherwise, they'd have been annointed weeks ago and would now be out recruiting.

That's the most logical conclusion but it's possible even that could be delayed by waiting for potential Coordinators to finish their regular season.

That's the most logical conclusion but it's possible even that could be delayed by waiting for potential Coordinators to finish their regular season.

Becareful, logical isn't always used on this board...

And like the Weather Channel we are giving out information 24 hours a day.

This Afternoon: Snow. High near 21. East southeast wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Tonight: Snow. Low around 20. East northeast wind between 6 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

I saw a few of the MPS media guys in the Walmart parking lot in Moorhead last week. They must be reading.

19...That could be, I was "busy" transporting Concordia College Gals from one Walmart to another, on the job, fulfilling my work responsibilities. I love my job.

Top Bottom