Meaningless Result

Mulligan

Reaction score
Finally looked at some of the predictable posts following the loss. Lots of negativity as usual. Yet I guess a lot of those people wouldn't have posted if Gray hadn't fumbled, and we would have hung on to the ball and had Ellison kick a winning field goal. We would have ended the season 7-6 instead of 6-7, but as far as the future of this program that's just as meaningless as the loss.

Brewster has laid a foundation. Nobody yet knows if that foundation is going to be good enough. So relax, folks, and come off the ledge; your bitching and predictions of doom aren't changing a thing. For every argument made that this is going to end poorly, you can come up with one that Brewster will get this turned around.

This was a bowl game just a bit above in stature over the one played on a blue field or the one played in Detroit. Very few people, even in Minnesota, cared about this game. Yet, you would think we got blown out in the National Championship game the way some people are reacting. I know the point is to have people care and I really want to see get to a meaningful bowl game, but the game last night simply isn't worth the anger.

The score should have easily been 42-14 we were in position, BUT bad passes by a 3 yr starter. Unless this is fixed we are in trouble, because the rest of the team is definitely making progress.

You keep saying this but what about ISU's missed opportunities?

You can't have it both ways.

Brew has not laid a good foundation. He can't coach, can't hire offensive coordinators and I'll even say he's not that good a recrutier based on what we've seen so far. Why prolong the inevitable. I'd be happy to help pack his bags.

It may be meaningless. But to simply write it off as an "Oh, well" moment is probably as extreme as some that believe the sky is falling.

To take the approach that this was meaningless would require us to continue ignoring the reality of the current situation: We do not have adequate coaching. It's not just in-game play calling or adjustments. It's also in preparation and attention to details.

I find myself sitting on my couch wishing our program could get to Northwestern's level....Northwestern...

That's sad. I'm not happy about that.

we lost to an equivalent B12 opponent by one point. In a game of two programs who's best days are ahead of them. The world didn't end.

Minnesota has a football program because there are funds to pay for it. The funds come from the fan support. When the fans are pissed, they SHOULD speak up. The gripes on this board are legitimate, albeit not always in a tactful way.

Fortunately the inmates don't run the asylum or we'd have a new coach every year.

It may be meaningless. But to simply write it off as an "Oh, well" moment is probably as extreme as some that believe the sky is falling.

To take the approach that this was meaningless would require us to continue ignoring the reality of the current situation: We do not have adequate coaching. It's not just in-game play calling or adjustments. It's also in preparation and attention to details.

I find myself sitting on my couch wishing our program could get to Northwestern's level....Northwestern...

That's sad. I'm not happy about that.

I don't know if Brewster will succeed, but I'm amazed at how many here are utterly convinced he won't. I guess it's an "Oh, well," moment for me because I saw enough positives last night.

-We were penalized hardly at all. After listening to Bob Griese use "undisciplined" to describe the Gophers about a 1,000 times this year that was a big improvement.
-Standards are low but the offensive line play was improved from the end of the year games. We protected pretty well and there was some room for the backs.
-The sideline looked more in control. We had to use some timeouts on defense but that type of offense causes that.
-Yes, we should have had more points. But plays were there. Weber missed two touchdown passes at the goal line. Not sure, but I think Stoudermire slipped when he saw the pass behind him. Third down conversions were awful first half. Many of them because Weber badly missed short passes that were there.
-There were good adjustments. Cosgrove stopped their option play after the opening plays for quite a while. He also started to bring pressure at the right time with blitzes. Fisch got Weber in a rhythm, and he also got a running game going in the second half. I presume he adjusted some things.
-McKnight and Gray showed big play potential last night. Hopefully, next year they'll show it often.
-Great call and execution on the fake punt. Only one play but looked like pretty good coaching.
-The Gray fumble came when we were moving and Fisch again might be guilty of going to trickery when we were moving. However, a few plays earlier Gray broke the longest run of the year.
-By far the most positive thing for me last night was when we got the ball on our one yard line. I expected three and out and good field position for Iowa State. Instead we got a hell of a drive with some really nice plays. It ended badly but that drive might be a glimpse of positive things to come. I know I sure didn't see it coming.

Maybe watching almost 50 years of a lot of poor to mediocre football makes a person settle for too little. I don't think that's the case. I don't rant or kick a hole in the wall anymore, but like damn near everyone on GopherHole, I really want to win consistently. I just think the best way to get there is to be patient and stick with this coach instead of blowing it up and starting all over again.

Two other observations:
One, lots of the critics are sure the defense is going to be worse next year. We're average at best. We have some good young players and it's not like they are going to be replacing Bobby Bell, Aaron Brown, and Tyrone Carter.
Two, he was brutal again at times last night but I'm not so sure I'd count Weber out for next year. He did make some really nice throws. The pass to Gray, long out to McKnight, TD pass, and the pass from the one yard line stand out. Gray has got to play next year but maybe Weber will get his head and mechanics straitened out. Because he has an arm.

We lost to a team that was 4-8,3-9, and 2-10 in the 3 years prior to 2009. We lost to a team with a first year head coach. The original poster is right, there would not have been much made of this game had the Gophers won it. They were expected to win it.

This was a very bad loss for the program and this marks the second consecutive year where the Gophers have played much worse football at the end of the season than they did at the beginning of it.

We lost to a team that was 4-8,3-9, and 2-10 in the 3 years prior to 2009. We lost to a team with a first year head coach. The original poster is right, there would not have been much made of this game had the Gophers won it. They were expected to win it.

This was a very bad loss for the program and this marks the second consecutive year where the Gophers have played much worse football at the end of the season than they did at the beginning of it.

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE AROUND HERE SEE THIS, EG???? It just sickens me to see how many people think everything is just great with this team. They just don't get it. But they will next year and I know I am right......
I hope for the best but I just can't see it. I have absolutely zero confidence in Tim Brewster as a football coach.

It sickens me to listen to so called fans with no perspective based in anything resembling reality.

Just got back from Tempe....Disappointing? Yes. End of the world? Absolutely not.

I may be alone in finding reasons to be optimistic, but I'll quote one of the red-shirt D-lineman I spoke to after the game. When asked how he felt about the loss, this player answered, "I feel bad for the seniors & our few remaining fans, but I feel thrilled that this is the last time I have to stand on the sideline with no ability to change what is happening." He went on to say, "I came here believing that we could and would win, and eventhough we will be inexperienced on DL next year, we have a crazy will to win. We are going to work our a**** off this spring."

I still have hope that beyond the Xs and Os there are factors that players solely control. 'Will to win' is one of those factors.

My dad used to say that winners find a way to win and losers find a way to lose. Minnesota found a way to lose last night, but I expect some tangible improvements next fall.

I just hope the offense can figure out who they are and what they do.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to know, but the problem is that Mid. Tenn. St., No. Ill., USC, NW, OSU, PSU, Iowa, Wis., etc. also have players that will work their (bleep) off this summer.

Regarding all teams working hard in the off-season....theoretically, that is true. In practice, that is not true. Spring and summer are very different in programs around the country.

Regardless, my point is about 'will.' No program ever improves without players who refuse to lose. I didn't see that urgency in the seniors last night. I expect to see increased intensity from our younger players, and I think they have the talent to turn the tide.

Brewster plays guys like Moen and Weber and has guys like Wilhite on the bench. Name one player who got better this year. He is a really bad coach and non of his recruits have proven to be game winners.

Our upperclassmen suck and I am glad to see them go because the redshirts, freshmen, and sophomores are gamers. Kirksey, Wilhite, Hageman, Tinsley, Cooper, Carter, Edwards, Reeves, are all big time and ready to explode.

The deal is, we're respectable QB play away from being an 8 or 9 win team this year in the first place, notwithstanding all the talent waiting in the wings. I actually believe we will see much improved QB play from whoever is the starter with another year under Fisch's system. I've never been a guy to overreact to much, so I can kinda look at things and see them more objectionably I believe. I saw an offense that just needs time between the QBs and receivers to get on the same page in this new system. For whatever reason it is, Weber never looked comfortable with any receivers except Eric Decker and Nick Tow-Arnett. He started to get some vibes with McKnight but he even missed him on a crucial would be TD pass. Just far too frequently, there were missed connections and passes off the mark, whether it was Weber or the receiver. That will KILL your offense (along with a lack of running game), I don't care what kind of coaching you set up. When Decker was lost, they had that galvanizing effort against MSU, but predictably, the offense fizzled out. It's tough when you lose your bonafide best player and all you have behind him is young guys who aren't ready for primetime. It only exacerbates the issues that existed prior to his injury.

This thing will probably go one of two ways. The offense will spend this offseason getting everything in order, the QB who comes out of Spring Ball as the starter takes the reigns and really gets a rhythm with his receivers and the offense explodes next season. Or, it'll be another frustrating year that leads to the departure of the current regime. I'm actually slightly leaning towards an "explosion", meaning a decent offense next year, because you will have a lot of young guys who got a lot of playing time returning, and each aspect will only be better. Cohesion should be the big theme for this offseason.

Our upperclassmen suck and I am glad to see them go because the redshirts, freshmen, and sophomores are gamers. Kirksey, Wilhite, Hageman, Tinsley, Cooper, Carter, Edwards, Reeves, are all big time and ready to explode.

A little respect bankonit. They don't suck, we won six games with them. The underclassmen being better does not equal upperclassmen sucking. It only equals underclassmen being better.

Top Bottom