Mckenna Wucherer Selected for U21 Pan Am Cup Team

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- USA Volleyball has selected the 12 athletes who will represent the United States at the 2023 Women's U21 NORCECA Pan American Cup, and the final roster includes Minnesota rising sophomore outside Mckenna Wucherer.

A Brookfield, Wis., native and the No. 1 overall 2022 recruit, Wucherer averaged 2.73 kills per set as a freshman, a figure that ranked second on the team behind only Taylor Landfair. She posted 10 10+ kill matches and hit .228 for the season. Wucherer also added 0.67 digs and 0.63 blocks per set, while her 3.06 points per set ranked second among all Gophers.

The 12 players selected will compete May 23-28 in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico, after training for the last week at the Anaheim National Team Training Center.

Dan Fisher, head coach of Pitt's women's volleyball team, is the U21 team's head coach. He is assisted by Josh Walker of Baylor and Jessica Aschenbrenner of Colorado State.

Seven players return from the team that won the 2022 Pan American Cup and qualified for the 2023 FIVB World Championship: outside hitters Chloe Chicoine, Norah Sis and Mckenna Wucherer, middle blocker Bre Kelley, opposite Devin Kahahawai, and setters Rachel Fairbanks and Alexis Stucky.

Middles Gabrielle Essix and Marianna Singletary also have previous age group national team experience.

The U.S. Women will open the Pan American Cup with pool play against Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and Guatemala. The other pool will include Belize, Cuba, Mexico and Puerto Rico.

2023 Women's U21 NORCECA Pan American Cup Roster
Name (Position, Height, Birth Year, Hometown, College, USAV Region)

2 Lauren Briseño (L, 5-7, 2003, San Antonio, Texas, Baylor, Lone Star)
3 Chloe Chicoine (OH, 5-10, 2004, Lafayette, Ind., Purdue, Hoosier)
5 Rachel Fairbanks (S, 6-0, 2003, Santa Ana, Calif., Pitt, Southern California)
7 Mckenna Wucherer (OH, 6-1, 2004, Brookfield, Wis., Univ. of Minnesota, Badger)
8 Eva Hudson (OH, 6-1, 2004, Fort Wayne, Ind., Purdue, Hoosier)
9 Norah Sis (OH, 6-2, 2003, Papillion, Neb., Creighton, Great Plains)
10 Alexis Stucky (S, 6-2, 2004, Laramie, Wyo., Univ. of Florida, Rocky Mountain)
13 Gabrielle Essix (MB, 6-3, Hoover, Ala., Univ. of Florida, Southern)
14 Devin Kahahawai (Opp, 6-4, 2004, Kailua, Hawaii, Univ. of Texas, Aloha)
15 Allie Sczech (Opp, 6-4, 2004, Sugar Land, Texas, Baylor, Lone Star)
16 Bre Kelley (MB, 6-4, 2003, Rockwall, Texas, Undecided. North Texas)
17 Marianna Singletary (MB, 6-4, 2004, Charleston, S.C., Texas, Southern)

Head Coach: Dan Fisher
Assistant Coaches: Josh Walker and Jessica Aschenbrenner
Team Leader: Jeffrey Wanderer
Athletic Trainer: Rebecca Duran
Performance Analyst: AJ Ruttenberg

(All times PT)
May 23 at 4 p.m. USA vs Costa Rica
May 24 at 2 p.m. USA vs Guatemala
May 25 at 6 p.m. USA vs Dominican Republic
May 26 at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. Quarterfinals
May 27 Semifinals and classification matches
May 28 Medal matches and classification matches

I didn't catch the entire match today vs. Guatemala, but what I did view, McKenna Wucherer looked really good. She helped out a lot in the backcourt for team USA. Her serving was scoring for us too. You should be able to go to facebook and login or join if you haven't already and click on Codeson Sonora Videos.

Wait, wasn't there just another tournament and completely different national roster with a completely different coaching staff (Cook head coach)??

Why are there so many different ones?

Schedule has changed slightly because of the active Volacano in Mexico. Have a Facebook account watch for Free....see my previous posting.

U.S. Women’s U21 Schedule for the Pan American Cup
(All times PT)

May 24 USA vs Guatemala W 3-0 (25-8, 25-13, 25-14)

May 25 6 p.m.: USA vs. Dominican Republic

May 26 10 a.m.: 4 p.m.: USA vs. Costa Rica
Quarterfinals

May 27 Classifications and Semifinals

May 28 Classifications and Finals

Last edited:

USA over DR in three 25-16,20,14.......PItt's Coach is double subbing Stucky (FLorida's starting setter) and Wucherer at Opp for the last few points of each set. Seriously, they are doing better than the starters he has in every match. Stucky has a great connection with the pins. She sets the back row a fair amount of times too. WIshed Dan Fisher would sub all the players in and out more like KCook did with the U19 USA roster.

USA vs Costa Rica LIVE RIGHT NOW at 12 noon today on Facebook. USA up 16-6 and I see Stucky is setting.,,,,no Wucherer,

USA wins first set 25-11.
______
Appears Dan Fisher (PITT HC) using same starting lineup for set 2. IMO Stucky a much better consistent setter. USA up 9-3 and Wucherer enters the game as Opp and Stucky out with Fairbanks (PITT COMMIT) entering as the setter,

USA wins second set 25-8 on CR serving error.
_______
Stucky Setter and Wucherer 6R OH started set 3. USA up 9-5 and then scoring 4 in a row on Wucherer's serving. Our girl is looking really good all around. USA up now 16-7.

USA wins third set 25-9.

Last edited:

Is there any actual competition at these tournaments?? Canada?
Not really...just my understanding that USA has to compete in the Pan American Cups.

I have also read elsewhere that many of these teams that are there brought another team of U19 players instead of U21 to have them get a great feel for this type of competition.

I think we should probably have done the same.

Last edited:

Team USA playing Cuba in first Semifinals. McKenna Wucherer NOT A STARTER for this tournament and right now not playing.

USA up 16-9 first set. Now Fisher dbl subbing Stucky & Wucherer as Setter and Opp. IMO the two of them just bring a calmness to the game and we play much better with them. Why they were dbl subbed out for last point I do not know. TEAM USA WINS FIRST SET 25-15.
TO in third set with USA up 6-1. Fairly decent crowd there. Sure they are getting ready for their home team in the next Semifinals. Game starting again after another timeout with USA up 16-9. Here comes my favorite dbl sub......we lead 19-13. Fisher makes so so so many changes just hard to keep up with this coach. At some point, Stucky and Wucherer taken out and USA finally wins set three 25-20.

Last edited:

USA will play Mexico tonight at 10pm CT in the Championship match.

Top Bottom