McDonald in portal

Willwin40

Reaction score
On3 says Craig McDonald has entered the portal. Not a surprise.

He was one I thought would come in and help. Does he even play ST?

Also must not be a good situation when someone leaves in the middle of the season well past an opportunity to redshirt.

Also must not be a good situation when someone leaves in the middle of the season well past an opportunity to redshirt.
Same, I was excited when he transferred home but he never really found a role here.

Also this will be his 4th school, and transferring midseason...both red flags. No loss IMO

Same, I was excited when he transferred home but he never really found a role here.

Also this will be his 4th school, and transferring midseason...both red flags. No loss IMO
No loss and actually is beneficial to free up that scholarship. Not sure about red flags, but he clearly is buried on the depth chart with several younger players ahead of him.

Is that true? He has only played in one game. Four is the limit. If he can get a redshirt for this year, he would have two years left after this one.

I am assuming he got a medical redshirt for his season at Auburn, so couldn't he get a regular redshirt for this season with the Gophers if he only played in one game? If so, he could be a seven-year guy.

Is that true? He has only played in one game. Four is the limit. If he can get a redshirt for this year, he would have two years left after this one.

I am assuming he got a medical redshirt for his season at Auburn, so couldn't he get a regular redshirt for this season with the Gophers if he only played in one game? If so, he could be a seven-year guy.
Maybe? I guess I figured he’d had played more than 4 but not sure.

What Portal? I thought the first one opens about the second week of December. Did things change?
Are you trying to be obtuse? ;) It's similar to when a high school kid makes an announcement but can't sign until December.

He obviously will enroll in the portal then but is stating so now so that he doesn't get this year burned by playing in more games. Plus there's probably a benefit to saying so now so that interested schools can start contacting his former high school coach, etc.

I think he was hoping to get some coverage snaps at nickel, that Jai'ointe McMillan is getting instead.

You'd think it would have been the smart move to ask for a red shirt, and stay here with Henderson & McMillan both graduating after the season. In theory, he would have been in a good spot to have a big role at that position. The fact that he didn't makes me think the staff may not have seen him in their plans much next year either.

Hope he finds a place that finally works out for him.

My guess is he should probably drop a level and try Duluth or Mankato or somewhere similar

Yeah, this is the good side of the transfer portal. He came here, it didn't work out, so he can go look for a better fit somewhere else. Hopefully he finds it.
On the positive side, a guy good enough to play a lot at Iowa State is too far down the talent ladder at Minnesota to get any run. We have a lot of really good defensive backs on this team.

Would love to see a stat on the % of those entering the portal during the season, that have already transferred in the past.

Would love to see a stat on the % of those entering the portal during the season, that have already transferred in the past.
Also where / if they went anywhere.

I think the chaos of the portal will exist to some extent but might ebb and flow year to year.

On the positive side, a guy good enough to play a lot at Iowa State is too far down the talent ladder at Minnesota to get any run. We have a lot of really good defensive backs on this team.
You'd almost think the Gophers were the 9th ranked team in the country.

Top Bottom