McCord, Fleming and Raiola to Nebby?

Mustang68

Reaction score
Major buzz among Husker fans, with some media support, predicting that QB McCord and WR Fleming of tOSU will transfer to Nebraska, and 5-star high school QB prospect Dylan Raiola will flip his commitment from Georgia to Huskers.

Georgia insiders are saying Raiola is good as gone to Nebraska.

Every big name that hits the portal, the Nebraska fan buzz is that they will get them, but the way this week is going for us, they will land them.
Eh, who cares? Minnesota doesn’t even play Nebraska next season. And all three will probably be gone before the ‘25 season starts anyway.

Georgia insiders are saying Raiola is good as gone to Nebraska.
No worries, we are working hard scouring CC and FBS players while our competitors lower themselves to this level.

Raiola the former Ohio St commit? Didn’t realize he committed to Georgia. And now will (potentially) make his third commitment. Good for him—wonder if he’ll commit to any other red programs before the career ends

Q: Why no 5⭐️ recruits or transfer portal dudes look at Minnesota?

A: they’re all about themselves, “I want to start”, “I want millions $”, “I”, “I”, “I”, none of them want to deal with PJ’s BS about getting good grades, put no oars in no water, row no damn boat! We, my friends, will never see a 5⭐️ anyone choose Minnesota! Sad but true.

Q: Why no 5⭐️ recruits or transfer portal dudes look at Minnesota?

A: they’re all about themselves, “I want to start”, “I want millions $”, “I”, “I”, “I”, none of them want to deal with PJ’s BS about getting good grades, put no oars in no water, row no damn boat! We, my friends, will never see a 5⭐️ anyone choose Minnesota! Sad but true.
It’s been this way for 100 years. We’re in same boat as most schools for 5* recruits.

It’s been this way for 100 years. We’re in same boat as most schools for 5* recruits.
Yep.

End of day, we’re going to get the same level guys we’ve always gotten. The guys good enough for P5, “too good” for G5, but not good enough to go to any great or elite program.

What has changed is that is now a hard ceiling for us.

PJ’s “culture” and schtick might have worked … back in 2009.

Yep.

End of day, we’re going to get the same level guys we’ve always gotten. The guys good enough for P5, “too good” for G5, but not good enough to go to any great or elite program.

What has changed is that is now a hard ceiling for us.

PJ’s “culture” and schtick might have worked … back in 2009.
Correct we need more of a Harbaugh "culture" and schtick.

Raiola the former Ohio St commit? Didn’t realize he committed to Georgia. And now will (potentially) make his third commitment. Good for him—wonder if he’ll commit to any other red programs before the career ends
At this pace he’ll end up committed to Bellevue.

If it doesn't work out next year, pj will get sent packing. Then we can hire a sleazy grease pig coach who will buy players with dirty, under the table money like the SEC of yesteryear! Culture of the $$$ prevails!!!

If it doesn't work out next year, pj will get sent packing. Then we can hire a sleazy grease pig coach who will buy players with dirty, under the table money like the SEC of yesteryear! Culture of the $$$ prevails!!!
Would have to find the money first though.

My favorite is seeing tweets about "final deals being made". Funny that it might take "paying athletes" to finally revitalize Nebraska football.

Last edited:

Correct we need more of a Harbaugh "culture" and schtick.

In all seriousness, if the media sychophants on BTN, Fox, ESPN, Big Ten and NCAA leadership celebrate and incentivize cheating in action if not words then it becomes an “if you can’t beat em join em” scenario.

Between realignment, Wild West tampering and the portal, lack of an effective governing entity ie NCAA, and the Gopher’s outcomes this year this has been an abysmally deflating year and my opinion of the sport and leadership and governance severely diminished. Integrity and ideals have taken a distant back seat.

Despite recent struggles, "Nebraska" is still more of a football 'brand' than MN.

under Bo Pelini, Nebraska finished in the top-25 (AP or Coaches) 5 consecutive years from 2009 to 2014. The Mike Riley and Scott Frost years took some shine off the brand, but -- from 1963 to 2014, Nebraska finished the season ranked in the top-25 in 44 out of 52 seasons.

on one level, yes MN fans can enjoy it when a Neb, WI or IA struggles.

but from a national perspective, MN is still seen as trailing those three programs. and if Nebraska starts to land 4* and 5* players again, well, you can do the math.

Raiola’s a rich kid. I doubt a pay bump from Nebraska is the difference maker. Wonder if there is concerns he can get on the field at Georgia, tOSU. Gotta follow pops footsteps to maybe see the field (if McCord doesn’t show up) and if Raiola sits for a year he’ll leave.

Raiola's uncle is a coach at Nebraska, which is why the Huskers have pursued the kid so fervently, with the belief they might get him (with sufficient $$$, I suppose). Interesting to see whether McCord and Raiola would both come to Nebraska. If McCord got beat out by Raiola (a higher rated 5* than McCord, I think), then McCord would be out of immediate-eligibility transfer options until he graduated. Kind of a chance for McCord to take without some guarantee from the coach as to starting. Good problem for Rhule to have, given what his QB choices were last season.

Raiola’s a rich kid. I doubt a pay bump from Nebraska is the difference maker. Wonder if there is concerns he can get on the field at Georgia, tOSU. Gotta follow pops footsteps to maybe see the field (if McCord doesn’t show up) and if Raiola sits for a year he’ll leave.
No, it’s not about the money. There are a few posters on one of the Georgia boards who are known for posting reliable scoop. It seems this with Raiola has been brewing for a few weeks and it has absolutely nothing to do with NIL. Sounds like Carson Beck may return and that could have played a part, but one of these insiders have referred more than once to something with this that is going to have “bad optics” when it comes out. Also could have a domino effect in other areas that is being referred to as not good either way, if Raiola stays or leaves.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Raiola's uncle is a coach at Nebraska, which is why the Huskers have pursued the kid so fervently, with the belief they might get him (with sufficient $$$, I suppose). Interesting to see whether McCord and Raiola would both come to Nebraska. If McCord got beat out by Raiola (a higher rated 5* than McCord, I think), then McCord would be out of immediate-eligibility transfer options until he graduated. Kind of a chance for McCord to take without some guarantee from the coach as to starting. Good problem for Rhule to have, given what his QB choices were last season.
Raiola is an interesting kid. 6'3" 230lbs. Will be interesting to see if he pans out.

Why would McCord want to go somewhere they'll be clamoring to have the #1 prospect QB in his entire time there? That's about as dumb as it gets per the rumor mill. Unless they're paying him substantially to likely not play his entire time there.

They're aren't that many of them anyway (247 lists 32 for each of the past two recruiting seasons) and not all of them play like 5 star players in their college careers. Unless one is talking about a QB who really plays like a 5 star player, getting one of them isn't going to make that much difference to your team.

They're aren't that many of them anyway (247 lists 32 for each of the past two recruiting seasons) and not all of them play like 5 star players in their college careers. Unless one is talking about a QB who really plays like a 5 star player, getting one of them isn't going to make that much difference to your team.
Correct. It's such a crap shoot. Now if you get 3 5* DL's at one school that is a difference maker.

Currently
tOSU - 5
Georgia- 4 maybe going to 3
Alabama-3
Texas-3
8 schools with 2
and 5-6 schools with 1 (Nebraska possible)

Also if you look at the bottom of P5 classes they are usually in the 85/86 range. G5 schools are getting a number of those rated kids as well. That's the crap shoot of it all. What's the difference between MN 85/86 rated guys and Boise States 85/86 guys? Location? Grades? Fit? Interest?

No worries, we are working hard scouring CC and FBS players while our competitors lower themselves to this level.
Does this mean they’ll be bowl eligible next season (for first time in eight years)?

I've included a link for an interesting article about this and copied the most interesting part below.
The article points out that it's possible the top 10 prospects for 2024 go to 10 different schools. NIL and the portal is beginning to level the playing field to some degree and programs like Nebraska may be able to buy their way to relevancy again. I am hopeful for this. I'd rather 15-20 teams can realistically compete for a national championship instead of 5, even better if some of those programs are close by and not all in the southeast. It adds another variable besides having great local recruiting and a good coach.

It's obvious Minnesota won't be among the biggest beneficiaries of NIL and the portal, but we will likely benefit from being in the richest conference. We just have to wait until TV money can be used to pay players. That will add another level of parity that Minnesota CAN participate in.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nebraska-r...raiola-from-georgia-would-help-154421643.html

1702410989250.png

Correct. McCord should have two years left and doubt Railoa is going to sit two years. Not likely getting both.
McCord was a true junior this year. This timeline dovetails nicely with Raiola

Top Bottom