Maye and Jones

gopherfield

Reaction score
Marcus Jones was our true freshman speedy and elusive scat back last year who the staff loved (didn't red shirt, recruited to NIU, etc). Work in the slot, catch screens, run a reverse, etc. We've been told he is 100% and recovered from knee injury better than anyone Kill has seen before. Now, this year KJ Maye is so good in this role, that its a necessity that he not red-shirt and play this role as a true freshman. Just how good is Maye and/or is Jones not the same this year? Where will this leave Jones? Thoughts?

There's room for both.

Bring back the run and shoot.

1981 Minnesota: 6-5. Scored more than 24 points in 5 games. QB Mike Hohensee = 182/362 for 2,412 yards with 20 TD vs 12 INT.

I kind of expect Jones to be more of a typical slot player who occasionally gets handoffs on reverses and I think Maye will be more of a running back who can catch the ball out of the backfield. So similar roles, but not identical.

That is really just a hunch though, it'll be interesting to see how we use these guys.

I'd rather just have Maye redshirt, if he is just spelling out Marcus Jones when Jones needs a breather. From what I've read, they have similar skill sets and therefore similar roles on the field.

I wonder if the coaching staff has ever considered using Jones in a similar style that Oregon uses De'Anthony Thomas.

The better questions to me would be how will Jamel Harbison's development effect Jones playing time and can Devon Wright provide enough of what KJ Maye brings to the table to allow them to redshirt Maye.

The better questions to me would be how will Jamel Harbison's development effect Jones playing time and can Devon Wright provide enough of what KJ Maye brings to the table to allow them to redshirt Maye.

Yep, that's how I see it as well. I see Maye as a RB who might catch some passes and Jones as a slot receiver who might carry the ball. It's entirely possible that if Harbison is really impressive that Jones becomes more of a RB to get him on the field. But as of right now, I see them playing different positions.

Marcus Jones was our true freshman speedy and elusive scat back last year who the staff loved (didn't red shirt, recruited to NIU, etc). Work in the slot, catch screens, run a reverse, etc. We've been told he is 100% and recovered from knee injury better than anyone Kill has seen before. Now, this year KJ Maye is so good in this role, that its a necessity that he not red-shirt and play this role as a true freshman. Just how good is Maye and/or is Jones not the same this year? Where will this leave Jones? Thoughts?

Jones wasn't a scatback. Maye can carry it some, work out of the backfield in the passing game.

Maye is going to be a running back who may or may not take snaps in the slot. You probably have Jones in the slot with Moulton and Harbison, but you might be able to move either of those two outside if you want them all on the field at the same time. Next week is going to be interesting. I can't wait to see offense and how things shake out among the skill players as well as seeing whether or not Gray's passing is as advertised.

Maybe we'll get to see some trick plays with Maye throwing the ball.

It's nice to have some options and more speed on O. If a guy like Maye plays this year, it's because he's that good.

It's nice to have some options and more speed on O. If a guy like Maye plays this year, it's because he's that good.

That's the way I look at it. Sounds like we have a little more speed on D also. Speed has been lacking for quite some time.

I think he'll be involved in the slot and RB position He has a little more wiggle than Jones even though both are very quick. If you can go back and look at his clips he doesn't throw the ball that bad. I can see down the road the old rope a dope where he comes out of the slot throwing something like a streak route to McDonald and just laying the ball out there.

Top Bottom