Maybe we should invoke the Glen Mason/Georgia rule!

Anderson8284

Reaction score
Anyone remember, in the mid 1990's, Mason left Kansas for two days and was announced as Georgia's new coach, then changed his mind and went back to KS?

We will not know for sure who the next coach is until he signs on the dotted line. Even then, wait a day or three to be aboslutely, positively sure.......:)

Anyone remember, in the mid 1990's, Mason left Kansas for two days and was announced as Georgia's new coach, then changed his mind and went back to KS?

We will not know for sure who the next coach is until he signs on the dotted line. Even then, wait a day or three to be aboslutely, positively sure.......:)

I don't. But if this is true why did we hire this snake?

Mason's reversal was complicated on a personal and professional level. There was a situation of child custody involved and Georgia state laws differed dramatically from Kansas and Minnesota state laws. But once he got back to KU, it was a toxic culture for him and he had to get out.

Mason did the job he was hired to do. We hit a plateau and it was time for a change (maybe a year or too late) but he did what he was hired to do.

Go Gophers!!

I remember it, but don't remember why he backed out of the Georgia job. I don't know when his divorce took place, but child custody issues with parents living in different states can be a real nightmare, especially if the children are young.

Most correct and efficient post on Mason I have seen Bleed. thanks.

Mason's reversal was complicated on a personal and professional level. There was a situation of child custody involved and Georgia state laws differed dramatically from Kansas and Minnesota state laws. But once he got back to KU, it was a toxic culture for him and he had to get out.

Mason did the job he was hired to do. We hit a plateau and it was time for a change (maybe a year or too late) but he did what he was hired to do.

Go Gophers!!

Shades of Dr. Tom Davis and the Iowa basketball program. Iowa wasn't satisfied with 20+ win seasons and annual trips to the NCAA's. No ... they had hit a plateau and it was time to go to the next level.

Unfortunately, dear Gopherholers, the next level isn't always UP. 10 years later Iowa basketball hasn't recovered from the firing of Dr. Tom. 10 years and three coaches later, Iowa would do anything for a 20 win season and a trip to the NCAA's. Aesop had a story about that.

Top Bottom