Maybe Bret Bielema is not so bad after all.

began11

GOPHER11
Reaction score
This coaching search is making us all crazy and I think we need a slice of reality! Butt Bielema and his Wisconsin Badgers are "Enemy #1" to most of us Gopher fans. However, I thought I would change things up a bit and share an ESPN story about a young cancer patient and his relationship with the Badger football team. Bret Bielema was actually crying on camera! This does not in anyway change my hatred for the Badgers but I MAYBE respect them and their coach a little more. I know this stuff goes on all over but it is just nice to see what an impact these young men can make. GO GOPHERS and GIVE MULLEN his 5 year $25 million deal.

http://campussportsconnection.com/ncaa/wisconsin-badgers/story/37901

I don't really mind Bielema that much. If he wasn't Wisconsin's coach I wouldn't pay him any mind

This coaching search is making us all crazy and I think we need a slice of reality! Butt Bielema and his Wisconsin Badgers are "Enemy #1" to most of us Gopher fans. However, I thought I would change things up a bit and share an ESPN story about a young cancer patient and his relationship with the Badger football team. Bret Bielema was actually crying on camera! This does not in anyway change my hatred for the Badgers but I MAYBE respect them and their coach a little more. I know this stuff goes on all over but it is just nice to see what an impact these young men can make. GO GOPHERS and GIVE MULLEN his 5 year $25 million deal.

http://campussportsconnection.com/ncaa/wisconsin-badgers/story/37901

Stop it. He's an ass. I'm glad he does charity work, but he's still an absolute jackass.

Bielema is the A.J. Pierzynski of college FB coaches. If he's on your team you like or at least tolerate him because he delivers results. If not, you friggin' hate his guts because he can be a classless d-bag on a regular basis.

Bielema is the A.J. Pierzynski of college FB coaches. If he's on your team you like or at least tolerate him because he delivers results. If not, you friggin' hate his guts because he can be a classless d-bag on a regular basis.

Or to actually quote Ozzie on AJ 'If he's on the other team, you hate him. If he's on your team, you hate him less.'

Stop it. He's an ass. I'm glad he does charity work, but he's still an absolute jackass.

I would seriously rather lose with another coach with character than win with somebody like Bielema representing my university. He's proven himself to not be someone of character or integrity.

Props to Bielema for doing this. This is nice to see (but he's still an ass on the field).

Taking this in a little different direction, if Brewster would have done this, I wonder how many folks here (both Gopher fan and Wisconsin trolls) would have derided him.

I would seriously rather lose with another coach with character than win with somebody like Bielema representing my university. He's proven himself to not be someone of character or integrity.

where has he proven himself to not be someone of character or integrity? Because he went for two against the gophers up big? Then is Harbaugh at stanford a man of no character or integrity because he went for 2 against USC up big?

For making such damning claims there is very little proof to back these statements up.

This. My buddies who are Badgers all subscribe to the "he's a d-bag, but he's OUR d-bag" school of thought.

Maybe Bret Bielema is not so bad after all.

Then again maybe he is....or worse. Bulimia is that bad.

But the whiskeyconsin faithful don't care. They get to go to the Rose Bowl while we look for a new coach AGAIN. I detest bucky even more than I detest the hogeys.

Oh, come on. Look, I don't like the guy. He seems like a total d-rocket and he looks like a foot. He's the coach of our most hated rival. I'm supposed to feel that way.

But he's not the freaking antichrist. Other than running up the score (and using a ridiculously lame excuse for doing so against us), what the deuce has he done to have "proven himself to not be someone of character or integrity"?

One day, we'll be better than the Badgers and I hope we're up by 60 and go for it on fourth down on every remaining drive. I hope we make it painfully evident that we're running up the score with the intent to drive every potential Wisky recruit to Minnesota. I hope the Wisky student section weeps bitter tears of defeat during Jump Around when they behold the angry glory that is Gopher football. And I hope our coach shakes Burt's limp, beaten hand at the end of the game, smiles and says, "That's for going for two against us in 2010."

It's a freaking game. Burt is the coach of the Badgers, so let's despise him and everything he stands for in that capacity. Until or unless someone shows me where he's a child molester, murderer or brutal misogynist, though, that's the only capacity in which he'll earn my hate.

If you ever watch the Gopher Football Report you will see our team visits sick kids and hospitals on a regular basis. I am glad brent did it but he still is a db and i can't stand the phony -rick.

Going for two when up by 22 doesn't put cancer into remission.

Bielema is a giant *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# and is probably sleeping with the kid's mother.

I get why you all hate Bielema so much. He is 5-0 against you and not 0-5. If he was 0-5, you would love the guy. You would have parades in his honor in Dinkytown.

None of you have a clue about his character, but that is fine. Keep the venom coming, it is highly entertaining. If the Badgers had lost 15 of 17 to the Gophers, I would not love the Gophers coach either, or anything about them for that matter. I know many of you think Bielema can't coach, which is cool. The standards are high at the "U". Bielema has only won 49 games over the last 5 years. That kind of mediocrity is not accepted on this side of the river.

I thought Brewster was an idiot, but I loved the guy. I wish he would have coached the Gophers forever.

I hate the Badgers as much as anybody, but can you really expect him NOT to run up the score when college football operates based on a system that provides an incentive for teams to do exactly that? It's a conscious decision designed to get his team to the Rose Bowl (which is, after all, what he's getting paid to do and what his fans expect him to do).

My response to complaints of running up the score is, always has been, and always will be, "If you don't like it, then stop it." Losing teams in these situations love to trot this one out because it provides a distraction from how badly they were beaten. Frankly, I had a more negative reaction to Brewster reacting like a child than to the actual two-point attempt itself. I mean, it would be hypocritical of me to do otherwise, seeing as how the Vikings pretty much did the exact same thing against the Cowboys last year and I didn't object. And to be honest, what does it matter? Two-point attempt or no two-point attempt, we got our asses handed to us either way.

Bottom line: his team scored a lot of points against some bad teams. This doesn't make him Hitler.

I dislike him solely because he is the coach of the Badgers. None of this "character" bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#.

Horse*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Utter horse*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Give me a Rose Bowl any goddamn day. I don't care how we get it as long as NCAA rules aren't being violated.

where has he proven himself to not be someone of character or integrity? Because he went for two against the gophers up big? Then is Harbaugh at stanford a man of no character or integrity because he went for 2 against USC up big?

For making such damning claims there is very little proof to back these statements up.

It's not the fact that he ran it up that pisses us off.. It's his lame ass excuse (coaches card) that pisses us off. And his constant snide comments about our favorite program (making fun of MNs recruiting, etc).

Bottom line, class or not, the guy's a king-douuuche nugget.

Horse*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Utter horse*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Give me a Rose Bowl any goddamn day. I don't care how we get it as long as NCAA rules aren't being violated.

PP.O?

Indeed, indeed. I'm more of a lurker here than anything, and more around the basketball board than here, largely because the football program has been about as thrilling as stale toast for as far back as I can remember (the Iowa win being one of the very few exciting things to happen to the football team in my entire time as a student).

It is quite desperately in need of someone with balls, ambition, and a killer instinct. Character's important, but not at the expense of those three things.

Indeed, indeed. I'm more of a lurker here than anything, and more around the basketball board, largely because the football program has been about as thrilling as stale toast for as far back as I can remember.

It is quite desperately in need of someone with balls, ambition, and a killer instinct. Much as I hate to admit it, it's something Beckyland has in abundance.

Nice, nice. I figured you were also on PP.O, that login name would be too much of a coincidence if not. Didn't take you as a Gopher fan from what I gathered from your posts over there, kinda pleasantly surprised.

I Until or unless someone shows me where he's a child molester, murderer or brutal misogynist, though, that's the only capacity in which he'll earn my hate.

What, Bulemia is a child molester? You heard it here first!

BTW, is there such a thing as a gentle or compassionate misogynist?

Nice, nice. I figured you were also on PP.O, that login name would be too much of a coincidence if not. Didn't take you as a Gopher fan from what I gathered from your posts over there, kinda pleasantly surprised.

Well, I'm a student, I've got season tickets at the Barn. I love college hoops and always have. The NCAA Division I basketball tournament is, in my opinion, the greatest tournament in the world. I have on more than one occasion spent the better part of an entire day preparing a bracket.

I've only ever attended two football games, though - one at the Dome in my freshman year and one at the Bank. My first problem is that I believe there's a lot wrong with college football - so much that I can't just ignore the problems as I watch. My second problem is that the Gopher football team is damn near impossible to get excited about - it's hard to hold out a lot of hope for the future when your hopes for next year are always modest at best. This is why I believe it's harder to be a Lions fan (or more accurately, remain a Lions fan) than a Vikings fan - maybe the losses for a Vikings fan are more painful, but there's always the "maybe next year" mentality that can cheer you up. Without that "maybe next year" it's difficult to get excited, especially when you're too young to remember the good times like I am.

Also contributing to the "passion gap" is that I wasn't really raised as a fan like I was of the Twins (whose games I attended at least a dozen times a year as a kid) or the Vikings (my dad must have told me the story of how Pearson was totally pushing off at least 50 times). My mom went to Northwestern and my dad went to St. John's, so there was no real Gopher connection. Football in my parents' household was something that was watched on Sunday only. Saturday afternoons were reserved for yard work. But the Gophers were seldom talked about anywhere in comparison to the other teams - and this is huge, because sports are as much about the communal experience with fellow fans as they are about the game itself. So I spent most of my life entirely disconnected from the football team. This is one of the biggest obstacles that any incoming coach will be going up against - indifference.

It's an issue of the culture of the team. The problem with the Gopher football program is that there's just no "there" there - just a decades of subpar achievement and public indifference. This is what I mean when I say that the Gopher football team is as exciting as stale toast. In a saturated sports market, it has little to offer - being a fan of our football program simply isn't as fun as being a fan of the state's other teams. The entire culture of the team desperately needs to change. Frankly, a ruthless guy like Bielema would only help this team.

The post I made on PP.O about the Gophs was made when I was in a particularly foul mood, so it was a somewhat exaggerated version of what I actually believe (and a good deal more pessimistic). But yeah, I'll admit that I'm not quite as passionate about Gopher football as I am about the basketball team, the Twins, or the Vikings (which I've always stuck with, even in the days of Dan Monson, Scott Stahoviak, and, well...right now, respectively). However, I would still say that I support the football team in an extremely casual, rooting-for-laundry, be-true-to-your-school, to-hell-with-Wisconsin sense.

Suffice to say, my feelings about this team are complicated.

Top Bottom