maybe a little growing up to do....

raragophers

Reaction score
it would be interesting to know how many people here actually get offended when a co-worker/employee wear a Wisconsin/Iowa t-shirt or tie around after they beat the gophers? Would you go to the extent of the employer in Chicago who fired an employee after he wore a packer tie to work after the NFC Championship game?

just curious.

it would be interesting to know how many people here actually get offended when a co-worker/employee wear a Wisconsin/Iowa t-shirt or tie around after they beat the gophers? Would you go to the extent of the employer in Chicago who fired an employee after he wore a packer tie to work after the NFC Championship game?

just curious.

Well, the incident in Chicago was at a Chevrolet dealership that is an official sponsor of the Bears. Said employer also gave his employee the option of removing his tie and he refused.

It's silly, but somewhat understandable when put into context.

just curious.

Of course not! That is just plan immature. But if it was a South Dakota t-shirt or tie I would fire him on the spot!

my co-worker/hawkeye grad and i bet on the game every year. the wager? loser sports the other's tie to work for a day. he looked great with the "m" patterns this year. i look terrible in black and gold...

I remember one time awhile back, I was watching the news, and Tom Brokaw I think it was, read an angry letter he received from an Ohio State fan, because he had worn a blue tie with yellow stripes or something like that. Kinda ridiculous.

How many of you have stopped watching fox 9 on weekend mornings because the guy has a St. Cloud State mug on the desk in front of him. I don't think it affects how he does his job.

How many of you have stopped watching fox 9 on weekend mornings because the guy has a St. Cloud State mug on the desk in front of him. I don't think it affects how he does his job.

I don't watch Fox9 because they broke the "earth shattering" story about underage college kids drinking in Dinkytown

just curious.

Agree to a point but like someone pointed out they do business with the Chicago Bears. Also, if I own a business and my sales guy is meeting with clients and wearing something that could piss them off I wouldn't like it. I remember I was at Caribou Coffee one night and the cashier was wearing a Confederate Flag lapel pin. I was offended and called the manager and complained about her wearing it the next day. The manager said he was unaware she was wearing it and would not be allowed to do so in the future.

The real question is really something different.....

If the Gophers were one game away from the Rose Bowl and they had to play Iowa, and lost to lowa. Then, you walk into a car dealership and the particular dealer who comes up to you is wearing an Iowa football tie, would it rub you the wrong way? Could it possibly consciously or subcosciously make you less likely to buy a car from him (and go elsewhere or to another dealer)? With buying a car, the customer's spontaneity can affected by their mood, likeablity of their dealer, etc.

In my opinion, if this guy had worked in the kind of job where he was sitting in his office, talking on the phone, doing accounting or whatever...that's one thing.

Yes, I'd fire the guy and not think twice. He works in Chicago and is wearing a Green Bay tie the day after a championship game loss by the Bears? The employee is obviously looking for a reaction. Who has some growing up to do? The employee whose team won and who conciously made the decision to wear a Packers tie to work to rub it in or the employer who doesn't want this guy representing his company in a town full of Bears fans?

I don't get the "rub it in" crap done by fans. I am happy when my team wins and that's enough for me, I don't need to attempt to make someone on the losing ends experience worse.

I have a rule at my place of employment that you can't wear black or red from august 15 to April 7th every year.

I think getting angry or offended is a different question. I would be shocked and stunned by the fact that someone from Wisconsin or Iowa knew what a tie was. I would be so distracted by this that I am not sure when anger would enter the situation.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are both wrong. The dude should have taken the tie off when asked (though he says he thought his boss was joking) and the boss is a prick who overreacted by actually firing Packer tie man. There is a whole range of acceptable options short of firing him that he could have chosen. The guy was a good salesman according to the article.

In the mid-90's I worked in Wisconsin for an Ex-Badger football player. We always kidded each other about the games. When the Gophers beat Wisconsin in any sport the screen saver on my office computer carried the score for several weeks. We had a lot of fun rubbing it in to each other. I guess it's all in the presentation and being open-minded.

Top Bottom