Mayan Ahanotu entered his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal

He was one of the guys that I was excited to see next year. Oh well, best of luck to him.

Yeah I was excited to see him as well. I guess the flipside is that it makes me even more excited about all the young guys we have coming in and coming up through the program. Competition in the DL room must be getting fierce - finally

I’ve always wondered about the 5.49 40 time listed on his 247 page.

This is kind of a bummer. He must've been having an impact if he was scout team POY. Hopefully he changes his mind like Howard.

Musical chairs. I think it is ugly and money is going to make it worse. Why is he leaving? Not what does he says, but what is the real reason?

This is kind of a bummer. He must've been having an impact if he was scout team POY. Hopefully he changes his mind like Howard.

That was also two seasons ago and we've recruited a ton well-regarded DL since then. Landscape likely changed quite a bit.

Well, that stinks. I had him penciled as one to watch.

Nobody knows why he wants out. Could be team related or not team related. Maybe it’s an unknown unknown reason that none of could possibly imagine like joining the Foreign Legion or trying to make it on Broadway.

I was really hoping he would take after his father, Chidi Ahanotu, who had 46.5 sacks in the NFL (one 10 sack season). I thought he was going to be a contributor this year. Bummer.

Musical chairs. I think it is ugly and money is going to make it worse. Why is he leaving? Not what does he says, but what is the real reason?

What’s ugly about it? I highly doubt he was “forced” out.

Dang, was really pumped for him as a recruit and i though he would be playing big minutes this next year. Well best of luck to him moving forward and thank you for your cocontributions to this program!

I guess I hope that he doesn't change his mind because we need more people to leave so that the numbers work. I'll be interested to see if he transfers to another P5 school as all of our other transfers have transferred down.

Why do you highly doubt this? Info?
Do you ever just state your viewpoint on the board or is it always just correcting others and arguing? A forum is meant to share opinions and discuss, not whine and tell people how wrong they are. At 1:44 AM too lol, sad

Sucks that Mayan didn't pan out here though. I recall him having a decent offer list coming in, and an NFL bloodline doesn't hurt. That being said its not like we have developed many studs on the DL over the last 6-7 years. Yes different staffs in there but across the board we haven't had a ton of difference makers on the DL. Hope that can change a little this next year.

Do you ever just state your viewpoint on the board or is it always just correcting others and arguing? A forum is meant to share opinions and discuss, not whine and tell people how wrong they are. At 1:44 AM too lol, sad

Sucks that Mayan didn't pan out here though. I recall him having a decent offer list coming in, and an NFL bloodline doesn't hurt. That being said its not like we have developed many studs on the DL over the last 6-7 years. Yes different staffs in there but across the board we haven't had a ton of difference makers on the DL. Hope that can change a little this next year.

Thought he looked really good in the bowl game vs. GT.
Was surprised he didn't get more run this past season.

I see NDSU QB Trey Lance liked his tweet right away, Do you see him dropping to a NDSU?
or do you think he's gonna go lateral to another Power 5 ?

Dang, was really pumped for him as a recruit and i though he would be playing big minutes this next year. Well best of luck to him moving forward and thank you for your cocontributions to this program!

Same. I've been hoping that either Ahanotu or Otomewo would step up on the DL. Still hopeful about Otomewo.

Why do you highly doubt this? Info?
He was a guy that was projected to be on the two deeps at SDE/3-tech. There are definitely guys at other positions that have a much tougher path to playing time that are older than Ahanatou that would be more logical choices push out.

As PJ explained not every player can accept the idea that their position coaches are turning over every rock trying to find someone with more talent. Perhaps this was the case in this situation. I, like others have written, was looking forward to seeing him compete this spring.

I am not sure I have ever been accused of not sharing my viewpoint on this board. Thanks for the laugh.

I don’t have an opinion on why he is leaving and so didn’t express one on this topic. I asked someone why they had the opinion they stated since it was stated strongly (‘highly’ doubt). Seemed like a pretty appropriate question for a message board. A different poster already somehow caught that and provided reasoning. That discussion you crave so dearly. If you found offense or malice in my question (or me telling someone they were wrong?) that is on you. You may be looking for that a bit too hard with me.

Also, pro-tip. It is not 1:44am in all of the World at the same time. Some of us may be in a different time zone when posting. I didn’t know that traveling was sad. Might be looking a bit too hard on this one too dude.

He was a guy that was projected to be on the two deeps at SDE/3-tech. There are definitely guys at other positions that have a much tougher path to playing time that are older than Ahanatou that would be more logical choices push out.
Makes sense. I would tend to agree. I usually get excited to see what the scout team POY does the following year so this seems like a real bummer.

With all due respect, how do you know he was "pushed out"? Not saying he wasn't, but the reality is that none of us know the exact story and won't know unless the player or coach give it (which they rarely do). He could have decided to transfer for a number of different reasons.

Just because at one point he was projected to be on the 2 deep it doesn't mean that is still the case. Guys develop at different rates, new players come in....there are tons of moving parts that affect the depth chart.

In very general terms (so fact check police calm down) most Power 5 football players think they are going to be playing in the NFL someday. When the time comes in their college career where they can't see a clear path to significant playing time at their school those players are forced to decide if they want to stick it out anyway and accept that they may have to consider life after football, or they go hunting for another place to play.

In the case of Ahanotu, I would think the NFL pull is extremely strong since his dad played in the league. If he didn't realistically feel he could beat out Otomewo and Mafe then I could see where he would want to transfer and try to find somewhere where he has a better shot of landing a starting role. But I am just guessing here.

I think coaches have their conversations with players and then ultimately the players make the call. So it's not like they get to pick and choose everyone's path on an ultra granular level.

Who knows what happened here, maybe the coaches didn't want it to happen either.

I think a lot of kids have conversations with the coaches postseason and they don't love what they hear. Almost every kid on the Gophers roster was the star player in high school (or one of them) and to be told you're the 6th tight end or 7th receiver or 5th DT isn't always going to sit well with them/their families. I don't know what happened with Ahanotu but being scout team POY and as others said likely on the two deep at his position, I doubt he was forced out. It seems more likely he wanted playing time or a change of scenery.

I am not sure I have ever been accused of not sharing my viewpoint on this board. Thanks for the laugh.

I don’t have an opinion on why he is leaving and so didn’t express one on this topic. I asked someone why they had the opinion they stated since it was stated strongly (‘highly’ doubt). Seemed like a pretty appropriate question for a message board. A different poster already somehow caught that and provided reasoning. That discussion you crave so dearly. If you found offense or malice in my question (or me telling someone they were wrong?) that is on you. You may be looking for that a bit too hard with me.

Also, pro-tip. It is not 1:44am in all of the World at the same time. Some of us may be in a different time zone when posting. I didn’t know that traveling was sad. Might be looking a bit too hard on this one too dude.
A viewpoint that someone is wrong and stupid doesn't contribute to the conversation, just makes it go off topic and into an argument. If you want to play word games that's fine, but I think you know what I meant by that statement.

My post was directly after yours and there was no response to your comment at that time? Look again. It is hilarious how narcissistic you are and loooove to point the finger at others lol. Sense of superiority (everyone else is wrong), talking down to people, over reacting to any form of criticism or questions, probably act significantly different in person than on here, always provoking people and then pointing fingers. Seems like Spoofy to me. Dude, if you really are that delusional I feel bad for you. Don't think that is that hard for many to see on here, except you.

My logic would suggest you don’t “push out” the scout team player of the year. Right?

I’d also ask the question why enter the transfer portal in February? You are enrolled and spring football is not far way. It would give you a much clearer picture of your future at Minnesota. How do I like the new DL coach? What does playing time look like?
Make your decision at the end of the semester, seems far more thoughtful.

So, my conclusion: he was encouraged to go or he isn’t thinking clearly with a personal problem accelerating his decision.

Makes way more sense to me to make the decision in April, if it is yours to make.

If y’all think you are the smartest guy in the room...that’s cool! Just don’t try to tell everybody. Stay in your lane, bro and play nice with others.

Gopher roster and Gopherhole.

My logic would suggest you don’t “push out” the scout team player of the year. Right?

I’d also ask the question why enter the transfer portal in February? You are enrolled and spring football is not far way. It would give you a much clearer picture of your future at Minnesota. How do I like the new DL coach? What does playing time look like?
Make your decision at the end of the semester, seems far more thoughtful.

So, my conclusion: he was encouraged to go or he isn’t thinking clearly with a personal problem accelerating his decision.

Makes way more sense to me to make the decision in April, if it is yours to make.

It's really difficult to say, this isn't unusual timing to enter the portal. The players and PJ probably had an honest conversation at the end of the year about where he stood. He stays on scholarship this semester and gets to weigh his options.

Maybe he even participates in spring ball to see where he shakes out. Unlikely, but it's difficult to say.

All of that said, Mayan seems to be behind MDT, Schad, Teague and we have now recruited a number of DTs. At DE, he is behind Otomweo and Mafe, and again, we've recruited a number of DEs. I thought he'd be in the mix for PT, but he'd know how he stacks up against Cheney, Richter, Carter, MJ Anderson, and Harris better than we would.

I was excited about seeing him play, but he will be a third year player without a clear path to PT. So it isn't shocking to me at all.

Top Bottom